Unlimited access >

Favorite breeches for a curvier body type?

I appreciate any and all advice!

Hello everyone, I recently I got back into riding after a few years off. Now that I’m no longer in my teens, and am now in my twenties, my body has changed and all of my old breeches no longer fit me anymore unfortunately.

I’ve done some trying on and experimenting with different brands to see what fits best now. However I’ve noticed I’m both in between sizes and have some fitment issues. In some brands I’m a 34R and in others a 36R. In all brands I’ve found that the legs of the pants usually fit very nicely, but the waists are giant and super loose. The breeches where the waist would fit nicely, I can’t even get the legs on my body.

Currently I’ve tried; Tailored sportsman Trophy Hunter, Romfh Champions, Dover Saddlery Wellesley, and Equiline breeches (unsure of which kind)

I used to LOVE my Tailored Sportsman “The professional” breeches both in fit, material and everything.

What are some good brands of breeches you recommend for a curvier body type?
(Ideally a softer stretchy material as well)

If you have been sleeping on Free Ride Equestrian, drop everything now and order a pair. I live in mine. Prefer them to lululemon. I would replace all the yoga pants on my wardrobe with free ride leggings if I could.

4 Likes

Struck Breeches & CT Americans!

2 Likes

! [quote=“dogsbody1, post:2, topic:793005, full:true”]
If you have been sleeping on Free Ride Equestrian, drop everything now and order a pair. I live in mine. Prefer them to lululemon. I would replace all the yoga pants on my wardrobe with free ride leggings if I could.
[/quote]

Oh perfect, thank you!! I LOVE my lululemons, so if these are better then sign me up! I’ve heard of the Free Ride breeches and have heard great things about them. Which style do you wear, the lux, the hybrid or the pro?
Do you know which type is the most high waisted?

I have heard about the Struck breeches but not the CT Americans. I will definitely check them out now, thank you!!

1 Like

I wear a 32/34 (or 46 to 48 in Italian sizing) and I am obsessed with my Hore Pilot X Design breeches. I also like my Vestrum breeches, but the horse pilots win hands down. I wear an XL in them.

Which TS Trophy Hunters did you try? If you did not try the mid rise side zip, maybe give those a go. The front zip fits differently. They don’t hold up as well as they once did though in my experience.

I have mostly switched to Struck. I can wear the 50/55 model now because as I’ve gotten older my waist is not as small, relatively, anymore, but they have a curvier fit model as well, which ought to also be a little higher in the rise. Fabric is nice.

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck with the Tredstep Nero. KP and full seat, not a ton of color options but I love the fit and rise. I tend to wear “curvy” jeans that have a bit more space in the hips (so you don’t get the big waist/tight thigh fit) and think the Tredsteps fit similarly.

1 Like

I’ve got the same problem as you in most pants - larger in the thighs/butt, always a gap at the waist. I love my Ariats (tri-factor https://www.ariat.com/TRI_FACTOR_GRIP_KP_W_APP.html?dwvar_TRI__FACTOR__GRIP__KP__W__APP_color=DEEP_PETROLEUM). They are a lower rise, but no gapping, and hold up well to weekly use for years.

2 Likes

I know you said you’ve tried the Champions, but I adore my Romfh Sarafinas.

4 Likes

My absolute favorite breeches are from For Horses; they fit curvy bodies beautifully, the fabric is thin but smoothing, and they are super comfy. They’re expensive, so my hack for that is to buy them from Canada (Sprucewood Tack) when they have sales and you end up with good savings! I’ve worn mine a lot for over a year and washed them/hung to dry and they look brand new.
I also like Vestrum breeches, and sometimes you can get good sales on those too.
Struck are great but I don’t like the rise (too low for my taste).

1 Like

I love the Smartpak Hadley Curvy Fit breeches, except the fact they are a higher rise. I wish they were mid rise, then they would be perfect.

1 Like

I’ve been a diehard RJ Classics fan for several years now (oldest pair is going on 4 years old and looks brand new). I just got a pair of their new “Gracie” model last night and I want to convert my collection to all of this style. They have a wider stretch waistband and a pocket design in the front that provides additional tummy support. They are SO comfortable! For reference I’m a 30-32R.

1 Like

I agree on these! Both the Hadley for shows (which I agree could be more mid rise), and the Piper for schooling, are comfy for me as a 32. The rise is flattering and I feel like they have the “structure” that is flattering for the middle aged bod.
I also acquired a pair of RJ Classic Gulf breeches which I like for showing. I can tell these will be great for hotter temps as well.

TS have never fit me comfortably. I have some older Ariat Olympia breeches that I like to school in, but I am not sure how recent versions fit.

1 Like

Following this thread closely for ideas!

I like the Romfh Sarafina. It’s not perfect–I definitely still need a belt–but the cut is better than nearly every other breech I’ve tried over the years for that bigger leg/smaller waist body shape. I haven’t tried the champions, so I’m not sure if your lack of luck there would rule them out. I also liked the Pikeur Ciaras, but the’ve been discontinued.

It seems like a lot of breeches are cut very straight from hip to waist. I wish more equestrian brands would consider offering a curvy cut, like jeans brands do. But I guess that’s just more product development and skus to manage for a small market…

I am surprised to see people advocating for the Smarkpak Pipers, which I found to be among the least-curvy cut breeches I’ve ever tried. I wonder if they updated the pattern in the last few years.

4 Likes

I find that the RJ classics have a gap at my waist and don’t stay up even with a belt (the fabric seems to stretch out too much). I like the Pipers but they are quite snug in the thighs and hips when they fit well in the waist, plus the fabric doesn’t last very long.

1 Like

Ariat and Ovation. I tried Tailored Sportsman and had similar issues to what you describe.

1 Like

Pomme Equestrian are my new favorite and are some of the most affordable on the market. Feels like a high quality breech too IMO. High rise and super stretchy so they fit to your body

1 Like

I have a pair of the Ariat Tri-Factors and want to sew the waistband together where the little triangle in the back is. They fit my thighs and bum alright (maybe a little tight), but are still a bit looser than I’d prefer in the waist. They require a belt.

Unrelated… I think there is sometimes confusion around the term curvy.
Some people use curvy to describe larger bodies regardless of shape, and some people use it to describe a specific body shape regardless of size.

I am generally narrow/small, but the difference between my waist measurement and hip (bum) measurement is 12". Most clothes are cut with a 10" difference between the two, which means that pants big enough to fit my bum and thighs are often 2" too big in the waist. Which is extra annoying when you’re trying to wear those pants while riding a horse.

9 Likes

Yep, I’m very petite but have the same issue. If I get something that fits my butt/hips, it is almost always too big in the waist. The Hadley curvy fit breeches fit great and I love the material. Just wish they were mid rise. But, I’ll live with the higher rise sine they fit so well.

3 Likes