Unlimited access >

Favorite children's horse books

Has anyone read “Pamela and the Blue Mare”? (You are OLD if you have!)
What about “The Crumb” by Doty? (can’t remember author’s first name)It’s a much more contemporary story about showing - and addresses the win-at-all-costs issue. I loved it and when I was teaching, kept it constantly out of circulation from my school’s library!
Vicki and the Black Horse?
The Redhead and the Roan?

Oh, and of course theres National Velvet! I adored that one.

And I forgot to mention Jame HErriot. I used to read every one of those books over and over again (By the time I was about 8 I had read Every Living Thing 10 times-But hyis best was Bonnie’s Big Day. I LOVED it.

However, I have a confession to make- I have NEVER read the Black Stallion books. I have them all sitting on a book shelf in my room, the complete series. But I have never read any of them.

And a book called Rider By Night, whichg was set I believe in a Scandanavian country. A girl who could no longer afford to ride snuck out at night and rode her friend’s horse.

edit

God, I’m getting old!

Wasn’t “Hold the Rein Free” about a 2 year old purebred filly that became pregnant with a wild horse’s foal…kids had to hid the mare until the foal was born??? Or was that another one?

The name “Scarlet Royal” keeps sounding familiar…what was that one about?

The one where pepper died is one of the ones my friend never returned!!! AUGH!!! I loved that one, but I only got to read it once. Geesh. She took the one when Belle was still No-Name, and the Flying Changes one, the one where Veronica gets that gray horse, and the one where Cobalt dies! I’m getting madder by the minute.

Becca- don’t tell anyone, but I actually liked Riding Academy. Although I read one a few months ago and they are kinda pathetic.

Attention M. O’Conner:

Hi. I still have a copy of “Lost Pony” (Somebody’s Pony)!! Its home in Canada at the moment (I’m in Seoul) More on it when I get home at Xmas!

Next: Re; Authors - what about the Pullein Thompson sisters??

Among my favourite were “Goodbye to Hounds” and “Showjumping Secret”, both by Christine Pullein Thompson

All the best DG/Seoul ROK

Has anyone read “Pamela and the Blue Mare”? (You are OLD if you have!)
What about “The Crumb” by Doty? (can’t remember author’s first name)It’s a much more contemporary story about showing - and addresses the win-at-all-costs issue. I loved it and when I was teaching, kept it constantly out of circulation from my school’s library!
Vicki and the Black Horse?
The Redhead and the Roan?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marnye:
Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry were among my favorites. How about Will James and Smoky the Cowhorse? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a signed copy of Born to Trot. Did you know that the farm where Walter Farley lived while illustrating Misty of Chincoteague is up the hill behind Ben and Mary’s Steak House on Rt. 17 outside of Warrenton? A friend of ours lives there now.

On our “honeymoon” my second husband and my son and I went to Goshen New York to the famous harness track and went to the birthplace of Hambletonian - just like the illustration in the book!

Jo,

The name of the book is Fly by Night- and I loved it. I still have a mine.

I also loved the book “A Horse Came Running” and was absolutely addicted to the Black Stallion series. Being the smallest one in my class I was CONVINCED I could be a jockey

I have an article that I keep in my copy of the book - it tells when Ready Penny died - she was 20 something. I also saw (in the few years after the book came out) the older sister’s name in the Chronicle on occasion - but haven’t seen anything lately - and never saw anything about about the little girl.

My all time favorite - Charlotte and the White Horse - a very small book illustrated by, of all people, Maurice Sendak - before he went on to fame and fortune, I think. We’re talking the 50s here. I have a badly dog chewed copy still, and am waiting because it is supposed to be released any day now (because it’s a Maurice Sendak book). I used to have it memorized - but now only remember the opening “This is the song of Charlotte, and Milky Way, her horse. He was born in a stable.” and the ending “she always remembered to give him lots of hay because horses eat all night when they’re not sleeping.” I’ve always remembered that when I leave the barn at night. Sorry to babbly on so long.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CWP:
If you have a copy of A Very Young Rider, hang onto it! Not only is it out of print, but I was looking at www.bibliofind.com last night and a good copy of it was going for up to $100! I remember loving that story. . .What ever happened to the Malloys?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry were among my favorites. How about Will James and Smoky the Cowhorse? One of the first books I ever read was called “Polly’s Oats.” I loved it and always got it from the library. I found it a few years ago. Thans for the fun trip down memory lane.

The Horse Tamer by Walter Farley. Light Horsekeeping (I can’t remember who wrote it). The Green Grass of Wyoming (the last book in the My Friend Flicka series).

To those of you with A Very Young Rider-- the woman I bought my mare from is one of the kids, as is my current trainer (the only little boy).

I have never read a Very Young Rider- I need to someday!

I too loved Born to Run, it was classic! Ruffian- That made me cry so many times over.

CWP- Who write the Last Jr Year?? I need to read that one too!

I own every thelwell Puzzle EVER made, those books, the cartoons, framed in our front hall is one of the huge family- its JUST like us I LOVED those.

Oh, and my favorite was “Mustang, Wild Spirit of the West” by Marguerite Henry. I actually began corresponding with Velma Johnson (Wild Horse Annie’s real name) until her death…what memories THAT brings back!

I’ve been lurking on these boards for a bit but now have to chime in. The Doty books are the BEST! I first read “Summer Pony” at about age 9 – found it through Scholastic Book Club. Now, at age 34, I always cry when I re-read The Crumb; it is so sensitive and honest and really captures the joy and sadness of a relationship with a horse.

Regarding A Very Young Rider: I don’t know about the family, but the child’s trainer, Jonathan, (who at the time was, I think, George Morris’ assistant) is my former trainer and he is now working outside of the horse business.

OK, I know some of you are as old as I am and should remember my favorites, The 3 Jays by Pat Smythe. This was a series of 3 or 4 books involving the ficticious horsey exploits of her young cousins and their friends while living in her household.

Marguerite Henry and Walter Farley, Billy and Blaze. My all time favorite is King of the Wind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
I have a signed copy of Born to Trot. Did you know that the farm where Walter Farley lived while illustrating Misty of Chincoteague is up the hill behind Ben and Mary’s Steak House on Rt. 17 outside of Warrenton? A friend of ours lives there now.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? Are you sure about that?

I don’t think of Walter Farley as an illustrator. Most of Marguerite Henry’s books were illustrated by Wesley Dennis.

My favorite was “Afraid to Ride”, by C.W. Anderson…good story, beautiful illustrations. I was very happy to find a copy through Bibliofind recently! I’d recommend ANY of his books…