Favorite children's horse books

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harpo:
[B]I have an article that I keep in my copy of the book - it tells when Ready Penny died - she was 20 something. I also saw (in the few years after the book came out) the older sister’s name in the Chronicle on occasion - but haven’t seen anything lately - and never saw anything about about the little girl.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My trainer has a program from the National Horse Show from the very early 80’s (I want to say 1980, but I’m not sure). It has the list of all of the Maclay competetors, and low and behold, one of them is Vivi Malloy. There are a bunch of other people on the list that are big time prix riders and trainers today. It was cool to be able to place her name amongst theirs.

I am yet to have gotten my hands on a copy of Horsemasters the book, nor Horse In The GRey Flannel Suit- two of my all time favorite movies.[/B][/QUOTE]

Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit was actually originally called “The Year of the Horse” one of my all time favorites - it was, of course, slightly different from the movie - much more real and true to the horse show world, but basically the same story.

I have Somebody’s Pony, it is by Nancy Caffrey and illustrated by Jeanne Mellin. The dustjacket is a bit ragged but the horse/pony on it is lovely. The dustjacket also states that both the author and the illustrator were taught by Margaret Cabell Self. There is a photo on the back of them sitting bareback and hatless on a Morgan looking horse with tennis shoes and rolled up jeans. hahaha pretty cool dustjacket I must say.:slight_smile:

I have A Very Young Rider from when i was a kid. I think i too studied all the pictures. I wanted a pony club pin to put on my riding helmet too!

I cried thru the Crum although now i cant really remember the entire story.

I must’ve read every Walter Farley book in my jr. high’s library.

Several of my favories…
Ruffian
the Panky and William series of books
Danny
For the Love of a Horse
Thunder
A Very Young Rider
All Walter Farley books
The Crumb

my gosh there are so many more that i know arent listed here but i just cant think of the names.

I too would love to know what happened to the Malloy’s. I’ll keep checking back to see if someone has posted info on them!

I think i’m going to print off this post so i can go to the library and get all the books i havent read!

What a wonderful thing for you to post about your mother! Thank you for sharing…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fivensevn:
[B]Well, you all bring past memories to me. Jean Slaughter Doty who passed away a few years ago is my mother. She wrote many books and most of them about horses. “The Crumb” “Can I get there by Candlelight” “The Monday Horses” “Dark Horse” “Summer Pony” “Winter Pony” “Horses around the world” “Pony Care” and “Horsemanship for begginers” and many more childrens books. Many of my ponies (and myself) and her childhood have been mixed around in these books.

She was a wonderfull writer and a wonderfull horsewoman. She grew up with George Morris, Victor Hugo-Vidal and Ronnie Mutch. She judged the Maclay finals twice.

I miss her dearly and loved to read on this board how many of you remembered her.

She also wrote for the Chronicle.

Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Fivensevn (edited 05-17-2000).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CWP- Thanks. Its crazy that they cost so much. My dad buys books for me, because he likes to encourage the reading habit, but I’m not sure if I could Slide a 50$ horse book under Mr. I hate horses’ nose…

Ahhhh memories. My all time favorite was A Very Young Rider. I used to read that book over and over from cover to cover. I also loved Summer Pony by Doty.

But who could forget the Black Stallion series by Walter Farley? I had all the books in the series and would go on a kick and read them all from start to finish.

I’m a big fan of all of Jean Slaughter Doty’s books (Summer Pony, Winter Pony, Monday Horses, Crum), as well as all of Marguerite Henry’s books. My all time favorite book is A Very Young Rider, but Jill Krementz. I just got a lovely copy of it off of Ebay a few months ago.

Pony Jungle by Lavina Davis!!! I still think the reason I love gray ponies is because of Grey Mouse!

Wesley Dennis not Walter Farley, like Janet said.

Fly By Night is an awesome book.

How about “Doodlebug”, which is about a girl who dreams of owning a Beatiful Black Stallion with Flying Mane and Tail and ends up buying a scruffy black pony–who turns out to be a champion Hackney Pony stallion who, cleaned up and appreciated for what he is (instead of being compared enviously with her neighbor’s pretty mare Daisy), turns out to be her dream horse. sniff

A Horse like Mr. Ragman is a great book, loved Scarlet Royal, a Horse named Dragon (wild POAs!), etc. And of course The Black Stallion, Marguerite Henry…

JenniferS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clive’s Mom:
[B]My favorite was a book called, Can You Get Me There by Candlelight? (I think by JS Doty as well - I also enjoyed The Crumb and others). It’s been years since I’ve even looked at those old great books.

AHHH!!! I LOVE “Can I Get There By Candlelight!!!” also, “Dark Horse” is pretty great too! Jean Slaughter Doty is a wonderful writer!
~Gina

Harlequin Hullaballoo!!! Yes, wtywoman, that didn’t even make it to the two (?) old books threads (worth reviewing for those who like this one)! You know, I still have my old copy of that one! Again, Farley and Henry, King of the Wind and Smoky (I read Smoky so many times my brother could open it at random and I could recite it by heart, wish I could do that now, you know?). BTW, what about a book called, “The Happy Year”? Came to mind when looking at the Margaret Cabell Self thread…anyone else remember that one?

Choose a favorite??? AUGH!!! No way. I love them all. One day a few years ago I happened upon a copy of a horse book I remembered reading as a kid and that was the start of my childs horse book collection! I’ve got a huge bookcase at home packed with almost all of the books that have been mentioned so far.

Someone asked about the book with Whickery, that was Born to Race, I can’t remember the authors name off hand. If you want it let me know and I’ll have to check when I’m at home.

No ones mentioned any of Marjorie Reynolds books…Dark Horse Barnaby, Keep a Silver Dollar…etc

Or how about the Sunbonnet books by Barbara Van Tuyl? A Horse Called Bonnie, Sunbonnet, Fily of the Year, Sweet Running Filly…etc.

Two other fabulous books were by Diana Walker, Horse of the Year and A Horse for Mother. Anyone remember reading those???

How about Pony Farm by Paul Brown?

I could go on and on and on…but I’ll refrain for know. There are just so many wonderful horse books out there.

Have found the authors of two books I posted earlier. Black Gold was written by Margeurite Henry. Come on Seabiscuit by R. Moody.

Another favorite was Margeurite Henry’s Born to Trot about a horse that won the Hambletonian.

I LOVED Marguerite Henry - there is an obsure out of print book she wrote called Dear Readers and Riders which answers questions about all her books and has many awesome photos! I found it in the library when I was in 3rd grade and checked it out about 1000000 times! It was my favorite b/c it gave all these neat details about all her books and introduced me to some I had never read. Like the one about 5’oclock Charlie - loved that one too!

And of course a Very Young Rider - another one for the memories! I was shocked when I got older and realized that all the people she talked about like the USET team and George Morris were all real! I would LOVE to find a copy of that book!

Sarah

Scarlet Royal was one I read more often than I like to admit. haha The story is the usual family was rich and had the best horses until the father died or went bankrupt and left the family debt ridden. Scarlet Royal is the heroines horse who is going to win the big Hunt Club show…I’m just kind or guessing along here, I believe the wealthy new girl buys the mare or wants her. And of course she steals the heroines boyfriend in the process. I recall the only thing about Scarlet Royal that was wierd was a horse show chapter that had one of the younger sisters competing in a gaited and hunter class on the same horse??? haha Now does anyone recall the story line on Golden Soverign? Hobby Horse Hill is one of my all time favourites though. The Hobby Horse Hill paperback is also illustrated by Paul Brown.

I found the name of the one I was talking about with “Lucas”. It’s called (get ready, this is really corny) The most Beautiful horse in the World. Despite the name, it’s a good book.

I will always love “The Lucky Pony”! I wore that fake metal neckalace every day for a year when I was little!

Pamela and the Blue Mare was great. It was illustrated by Paul Brown so it is a bit pricey now to find even on Ebay. Lavinia Davis was a real favourite with Hobby Horse Hill, and Sandy’s Spurs, (which I read last night, haha!!) Jeannie Mellin and Patsey Grey illustrated and wrote some wonderful stories. Patsey Grey’s were centered on horse shows in California. A Paul Brown illustrated book titled, Pam’s Paradise Ranch was a nice book about riding in Hawaii. I don’t recall the author’s but the books titled Scarlet Royal and Pidgie’s Surprise were also favourites of mine. I am certain that I will be back with more…:slight_smile:

Good call, Clemson Rider! If memory serves, that’s a Caldecot winner.

You should also read “Fritz & the Beautiful Horses” by Jan Brett. It is a great read for younger children with a great message. I know you love ponies, so you’d love Fritz and all that he stands for!!