Unlimited access >

Favorite Horse Trailer Brands

I am beginning to look to buy a new trailer, but am having a hard time finding reviews and ratings for the different brands of horse trailers. One of the trailers I am considering is the 2018 Trails West AdventureMXII 2 horse slant, bumper pull. Other trailers that are most easily found in my area are Maverick, Sundowner, Featherlite and Exiss. What are your opinions and insights into the quality, durability and safety of these brands? Any input is appreciated.

This is the technical help forum. You’ll want to post this in the Off Course forum.

Kingston and Jamco - I’ve always had Kingstons and loved them. Jamcos are very, very nice but out of my budget. Sorry not two you listed though. I’m not familiar with Mavericks, Sundowners had issues years ago with a certain line which has been fixed, Featherlights are decent - can’t recall any issues, and Exiss I’d pass on (looked at them years ago and didn’t care for their construction). I haven’t looked at trailers for years so something may have changed construction wise. I’ve just always been happy with Kingstons.

I’ve owned a Sundowner, a Featherlite, a Circle J, and now own a Cimarron trailer. I liked them all. My Sundowner felt well-built and solid; I sold it when I went to a larger trailer. It sold the first day, and I had a waiting list in case it didn’t work out, so the resale in my area was very good for that trailer.

The Featherlite was a nice trailer, and pulled well. I had a 3 horse gooseneck slant load with a small LQ. I didn’t like the rear tack, so traded it in for my current Cimarron without the LQ conversion and no rear tack. I like this trailer a lot. It’s also a 3 horse GN slant. I branched out to buy it out of state because there’s no dealer here where I live, but it came highly recommended.

Go to Horse Trailer World and read their forum on trailers. Lots of opinions.

I owned a Trails West Adventure (mine was a 2004). Great little trailer, very convenient. Definitely a budget model.
It’s steel (at least mine was, unless they’ve changed their processes) so keep that in mind. You will need to do maintenance there. When it started to rust, it went quick.

I replaced it with a brand new Logan Coach Crossfire that I bought site-unseen and had it shipped 700 miles. It’s an entry-level model but very nice considering what I paid and will last a long time.

Eby, 4-STAR, Jamco…worth looking for them.

3 Likes

I’ve owned: Adam, Featherlite, Exiss, Merhow and 4Star. The first two were bumper pulls and the latter three, all gooses. All were good trailers for their price points. The 4Star is definitely is the best trailer I’ve ever owned.

I currently pull a 2002 S&H 3 horse BP that I bought new 16 years ago.

It held up very well in a wreck we had this summer; and over the years the only maintenance it’s ever needed was a new electric plug, a new jack, and then some bearings replaced – all of which cost me about $600.

I prefer European style trailers that I can pull with an SUV. I have had Brendeup in the past, and now I use Fautros. I have a St Georges Imara model, made in France. 2horse, BP…it’s so well designed. I like it very much

1 Like

A friend has a little Sundowner. She tows it with an SUV. It is nice enough and very light.
My old BO has an Exiss. They are very nice. Well made.
I know a few people with Hawks and 4Star and those are very nice. These both hold their value very well in my area.

In my area Cotner’s are very common. They are a nice solid middle value brand. Safe and solid. The Hawks and 4Star are cushier and have more available options and styles.

I own a Trails West. They’re very common where I live. Sundowner, Featherlite, Exiss, 4 Star are reputable brands, too.

Personally, I have my suspicions about the Maverick trailers. Haven’t owned or hauled one myself, they may be fair enough trailers. However, I do wonder about how much life folks get out of them.

I’ve hauled Trails West, Maverick, Thuro-Bilt, and Sundowner trailers and liked them all. My current trailer is a G&F, which is a small company local to me. I really like it because it is naturally very bright and open. Remember that an all steel trailer is going to require different maintenance than an aluminum one depending on the environment you live in. Where I’m at I don’t worry much about rust so steel or steel frame aluminum skin is fine.

I’ve owned Circle J (in the 80’s), Logan, Sundowner and Hawk.

All four of these trailers were safe and served their purpose. The first two were bumper pulls, last two goosenecks. First two were steel the last two aluminum (or combo of steel frame aluminum skin). Size and price were all different.

I personally love the goosenecks vs bumper pulls. My preference is also a straight load, but the slant loads do have lots of advantages.

Since I am in a wet climate, steel trailers have a lot of rust (might not be structural, but tend to look more beat up than they really are). A lot really will depend on budget.

The first two trailers were not as expensive as the last two. But the Sundowner held value better. Purchased it used in 2000 and sold it for same price in 2012. Not planning on selling the Hawk anytime soon.

where we are Hawk trailers are very desirable, great features, well designed, hold their value really well!

Shout out for the European trailers. I owned a Brenderup for 10 years and now have an EquiTrek. Generally speaking this type of trailer is designed to be towed using less gas, by something of smaller engine capacity - you’ll potentially save money and do something good for the environment.

I tow mine with a V8 4Runner which is more than adequate, and meant I didn’t have to get a separate towing-only vehicle. The EquiTrek has a small LQ with sleeping for 2 people, and fits two very large horses (my 17h gelding wears an 87" blanket) facing backwards - proven to be a better alignment for horses apparently. Tongue weight is about 250# (the biggest EquiTrek’s tongue weight is only 330# for a 3 horse) and the trailer itself weights about 3000#. Inertia brakes and sealed bearings, all wheel independent suspension, aluminum tongue and groove floorboards, well balanced over the axles and good aerodynamics all make it a really great ride for the horses. The side ramp is very wide and low angled making it great for horses too, and the center divider can be removed or attached anywhere alone the front or back to make infinitely variable stall widths.

1 Like

Where did you get your EquiTrek? I have a Brenderup that I love, but if I need to retire it I would love to get another Euro trailer.

@TuxWink I got it from L & D Trailers in Oregon. They import them to Port Hueneme or wherever, and you can pick up yourself or have them delivered.

http://www.equi-trek-portland.com/

1 Like

These are the trailers I’ve done researches on and have investigated, touching all over the interiors with my bare hands. It’s my own personal opinion:

Sundowner, Exiss, and Featherlite: Sort of entry level trailers. Priced too high for the quality. I won’t put my horses in them. If budget is a concern, I would rather buy an all steel CM stock trailer. Old Featherlites might be good. New ones are junk.

Cimarron and Merhow: A good step up from above. Solidly built. Safe. Not cheap, but good value for the price.

4 Star, Elite, and EquiSpirit: Premium brands. A good step up from above. Very nice trailer, safe, with attention to details (everything is put together nicely), coming with very nice (read $$$) price tag.

There are also some serious followers for Brenderup. I personally don’t like them but that is purely personal preference, nothing to do with safety or value of the trailer.

Eby, 4 star and Hawk.
Back in the day, it was Trail-et, but then the owners split up and one started Hawk.

Which model do you have? What do their prices run?