Unlimited access >

Favorite Lesser Known Leather Care/ Your Care Routine

What is everyone’s favorite product for tack care (excluding super popular picks like Lexol and Effax) and why?

Mine is Colorado Leather Balm!

I love the CLB because it is all natural and doesn’t contain any sketchy ingredients. All of the ingredients are sustainable. It smells amazinggg and makes your hands and tack super soft. Their slogan is “Good for leather, Good for you.” I’ve even known some of my rider friends to use CLB in the winter when their hands dry out!
Unlike many popular products, it’s difficult to over condition your tack with this. The CLB doesn’t contain oils (leather doesn’t lose oils as it ages as much as it loses fats) and instead contains tallow, or beef fat. I can definitely tell the difference when I oil my tack vs use the CLB.
It is fairly expensive but you barely need to use any. It soaks in really well to the leather.
You can get one of two scents. The orange scented one if my favorite. The scent is very subtle but still noticeable. They also make a citronella scent to keep bugs away. I have not noticed any issues with mold with either scent.
For you Voltaire fans, it reminds me of the Hercules balm, but this has a bit more of a solid consistency. Like the CLB, the Hercules also has tallow!

What is your personal tack care routine?

Daily Routine: I wipe my saddles off after every ride. Once it is dry, I cover my saddle with a fleece lined and waterproof saddle cover. My girths, older TSFs, get hosed off and the seams get cleaned with a rag to remove any built up sweat. I hang them up on. hook to dry. My schooling bridle, a cheap Nunn Finer Elena, gets hosed off and rubbed down with my fingers until the water runs clean. If it’s a particularly hot and sweaty day, I’ll pull out a toothbrush to get all the built up sweat off. If it’s REALLY bad, I pull out my Passier bridle cleaner spray. My bit is a leather mullen wrapped in SealTex so I check it for chew marks and spray it off until all of the alfalfa bits are gone. I wrap my bridle after each ride, especially in the summer so the keepers don’t shrink, and hang it up. I like to make sure that the reins aren’t dragging the ground. My saddle gets put on the saddle rack, either on top of my supracor pad or bareback pad to protect the panels, and the dry girth is draped over it, underside up.

Deep C/C Routine: Everything comes home for treatment. I don’t have a set schedule for conditioning, as some months my tack gets beat up and others it stays in pretty good shape. I deep clean about once every 5-6 weeks. For the saddle, I first wipe off any dust with a microfiber rag. Then, I scrub everything with Dr Bronner’s castile soap because it doesn’t contain glycerin. I take a toothbrush to the seams and stitching and a slightly larger brush to the flaps and panels. I don’t wear gloves so that I’m able to feel anywhere that there is buildup. I always rinse the soap off before it is able to dry. I use a wet sponge and wipe, wipe, wipe, rinsing the sponge after every wipe in clean water. I let my saddle dry before I begin the conditioning. I like to use Leather Therapy Restorer on the leather areas that are stiffer or dryer, and CLB on the areas that are in better shape. It is very important that I apply a little at a time, I don’t want mushy leather (yuck!). I rub in both products with my fingers in small circles. I will usually do a layer or two, depending on what the leather needs. Once I’m satisfied, I set the saddle on a rack in a room with AC, away from any heat sources or direct sunlight.
For the girths, I do the same thing for cleaning, except in the summer I spritz a TINY amount of ACV on them and let it dry after cleaning to kill any bacteria or mold spores. ACV is drying, so I make sure to thoroughly condition afterwards. I like Effax Lederbalsam for the underside of the girths and a very light layer of CLB on the outside.
For my bridles, follow the same cleaning routine as the saddles. I totally take it apart and sometimes stick rounded pen caps under some of the keepers that I know have a tendency to get tight after a deep cleaning. Once the bridle is totally dry, I take the caps out. I like the caps because they are the perfect size for my bridles and they don’t scratch of damage the leather. My dressage show bridle, a Schockemohle, gets conditioned with the tiniest amount of CLB as it doesn’t dry out much at all. If the calf reins are in use, I will use Leather Therapy on those. My showing figure eight, a Pure Harmony, gets a very light spritz of the ACV as well because for some reason it tends to mold a dash faster. The leather is super soft but not super thick so use conditioner sparingly. It doesn’t even get conditioned each use because it will become floppy. The schooling bridle, a Nunn Finer Elena, gets scrubbed like it’s got the plague. It gets sprayed with ACV as well, a bit more than the others because it stays in a tack room without air conditioning. The leather is definitely not high end buttery but strong Bartville leather, but it isn’t stiff like a lot of low end bridles. I typically condition the straps with lexol conditioner. I have found that for this specific piece of tack, the Lexol is the best for conditioning but not making it floppy. The padding gets nothing 75% of the time.
For my 5 point, an HDR, I scrub with castile and condition with lexol or CLB, depending on what it needs. For my B+R 3 point, I power wash the elastic (lol ik) and then scrub the straps with castile. It rarely needs conditioning. It’s actually a bit over conditioned from the previous owner. For my Nunn Finer raised 3 point, I use castile and Lederbalsam. For my other raised three point, I use castile and Lexol.
The crystal browbands get cleaned with a Dazzle Stik. It’s a jewelry cleaning pen. This thing is my holy grail for the sparklies.
Stirrups go into the dishwasher. Leathers get the same treatment as the saddle.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
I realize I have a breastplate problem. Yes I have more.

1 Like

Pony Clubber or former Pony Clubber?

To clean leather, use a squirt of Dawn Dishwashing liquid (blue) in an 8 qt bucket with water solution. Too much soap will require a rinse. Also good if leather has been over oiled. **Secret tip was shared by an old time saddle maker.

1 Like

I sure am a pony clubber. Though I disagree with PC’s “always clean with glycerin after every use.” Who wants gunky tack!

4 Likes

Best other suggestion is to bring your tack to a Pony Clubber and pay them $$$ to clean and condition your stuff.

Helps them fund Pony Club Rallies and all your tack gets a good deep clean condition.

That’s what we did. :grin:

5 Likes

Ex-Pony Clubber here, although one argues once in the 'club, always in the 'club. How are you liking that Passier Bridle spray? I am on the fence with it. I think it dried out my leather.

My tack cleaning routine is wipe down after every ride with a damp rag. Sometimes I’ll use soap or a spray if there’s sweat or mud involved. I sometimes dunk the whole bridle in while cleaning the bit. In the winter I’ll wipe with baby wipes if it’s not too cold, since there’s no hot water at the farm. I have a mix of high quality strapgoods and not so high quality - Stubben, Courbette, Passier, HDR, Eponia, etc.

For the most part just wiping down with a damp rag goes a long way towards leather longevity, where the integrity of the leather can be compromised by things like sweat, dirt build up, or even oversaturated with soap/oil build up.

I’m currently working through a bottle of Belvoir Cleaning spray and it’s good so far. I’ve been using it after the sweaty rides. In a fix, 3 oz of castille soap (or other household soap) plus water to the brim in a regular spray bottle is a great spray-me-down too.

My favorite by far is the Belharra (Devoucoux Saddlery) line but god is it expensive. The soap instills a beautiful patina and buff with no residue. The conditioner never leaves that “balsam gunk” feeling.

I liked Higher Standards soap as well. I didn’t love the balm but both smelled amazing.

1 Like

Craziest thing happened to my nicer bridle. Had a lesson scheduled Tues AM but got rained out by Hurricane Elsa. I groomed and was one step from bridling when the skies opened so I put my horse and stuff away and forgot my bridle on the tack hook. Left it out overnight with the deluge. It was under the barn but the humidity and blowing rain certainly got it wet. In the morning my bridle was weirdly dripping oil from the reins mostly. I never over oil. Just the starter oiling / conditioning with Belvoir upon purchase. Then I wipe it down with a damp cloth after daily rides. And when the heat and sweat and dirt are bad I use a damp sponge with a touch of Passier saddle soap. It was like the hot humid monsoon leached out any and oil / lederbalsam I had originally rubbed in.

2 Likes

I had something similar happen to my Edgewood about 10 years ago. A derecho tore through our area. The tack room was indoors and the roof was sound, so the bridle did not get wet, but the next day, the bridle was so dry it felt crumbly. It hasn’t quite been the same since.

I use Higher Standards soap on a daily basis- love that stuff, it keeps the aforementioned angry bridle happy- and oil as needed. I have Antares oil in the house and like it as a light conditioner.

1 Like

Sorry you had to cancel your lesson! I call that the “Fencepost Treatment” lol - even have a halter hanging out in the elements now. It was once a very nice brown halter, but it came with my gelding in total disrepair. I recently cleaned the snot out of it, oiled it, and dyed it black to cover the surface discoloration. I realize now I should have done it the other way – dye and THEN oil. D’oh. It’s been “seeping” all the residue for a few weeks… good thing I don’t have a grey, lol.

2 Likes

Coming back to add this: https://mmtackshop.com/products/rapide-leather-gel-200ml

I bought two tubes and a tub from M&M. Really, really like it; so far. A little bit goes a long way. Cleans some but conditions like a rich leather balm.

2 Likes

I love the passier spray. It smells nice and truly cleans. It is important to condition with it, though.

Me, too.

For everyday, I’m a “wipe off with a very slightly damp rag” person. If needed, with a bit of Belvoir glycerin soap bar Tack Conditioner, or the Belvoir spray.

When I do a heavy duty cleaning, taking everything apart, I like Stubben products, and Passier Lederbalsam.

If I see any mold anywhere, I get out the Leather Therapy products.

1 Like

Where can I find a pony clubber looking to make some cash? Because I’ve got some real needy tack out here in western Massachusetts and zero patience or time for the love it needs.

1 Like

OP you hose your bridle daily and don’t apply conditioner? Are you in a very humid climate?

I’m in a dry climate. Everyday care? Clean the bit.
Every couple rides: use Effax LederCombi on the reins. Deep clean? Saddle soap (foamy) light rinse and towel dry. Then Lederbalsam.

Saddle: about once a month I saddle soap and Lederbalsam them.

I honestly think it’s more about quality of leather than care routine (unless you’re soaking everything in oil weekly in which case good luck).

Proof: Daily 15 yr old bridle that won’t die. Stubben saddle same age that looks barely used. I have had cheap bridles that died after a year too.

1 Like

VERY humid down here.

If only I was closer!!!

Find a Pony Club near you.

https://www.ponyclub.org/findponyclub/map.aspx

This thread has filled me with deep shame.

9 Likes

This is hands down my favorite leather care product. I got a free tube with my new Fairfax saddle. I used it before the first ride like the manufacturer recommended and was so impressed by the quick absorption, lack of goopy residue, and beautiful shine it left. Now it’s all I use on all my tack.

Oh wow! Your saddle looks really great! Yes; the Rapide is the bomb. Leaves a shiny but not slippery finish.

If leather is really dry and neglected (pulled out of tack storage trunk) a couple coats of the Hydrophane leather dressing topped off with the Rapide. Boom! :smile:

Typically I just wipe clean with a damp cloth, but Dr. Bonner’s liquid soap is great for really dirty tack. I’ve been really bad lately about not wiping my tack down. Much to my surprise, it hasn’t fallen apart with weekly wipe downs - at least, not yet :wink:

There is a poster on COTH’s UK sister forum, Horse and Hound, that has a fantastic recipe for homemade leather conditioner. I made some of that about a year and a half ago and haven’t used any commercial products since. It has tallow, lard, and beeswax. It sounds very similar to the Co Leather Balm but without the hefty price tag. I made 4lbs of the stuff for less than $50. I don’t condition that often, but I’ve only used about half a pudding container’s worth. It’s saved some original 1940s leatherwork on historical re-enacting gear from certain death.

Found the link!

Side note, I like to use old socks as my cloths. I put it on like a sock puppet. Gives me great dexterity to get under keepers and whatnot. Additionally, there are some old dental tools in my kit, along with several toothbrushes. I also have a problem. Can we start a support group?

3 Likes