Unlimited access >

Favorite LL Clinician?

We are talking about maybe getting a clinic planned for some Training/Novice level riders and below. This is our first fortay in planning the clinic, so looking for any suggestions? Maybe someone who isn’t the biggest name, but will be a big asset to the lower level riders. I expect we may only have 1-2 riders at Training, and the majority would be BN or lower.

Besides just suggestions for clinicians, anything else I should know to plan a clinic like this? We have a facility in mind, and the clinic will be just dressage and stadium (or XC ideas within an arena - We have an indoor in mind for this clinic, and hopefully in November?)

Thanks for any ideas!

Where are you located?

1 Like

North East Mississippi, pretty much middle of nowhere for eventing.

I really enjoyed Daryl Kinney!
Will Faduree was great too, and very patient with a couple, less experienced horses/riders.

4 Likes

I haven’t personally had a clinic with Hawley, was supposed to, but you know, Covid. :roll_eyes:

But from what I’ve seen and heard, she’s amazing with LL riders. Worth looking into, she travels all over for clinics.

Hawley Bennett-Awad

2 Likes

I will second Daryl Kinney. I didn’t clinic with her, but got to see lots of lessons she gave. Very encouraging and helpful!

3 Likes

Maybe not the best choice if you are avoiding bigger names, but I did an Elisa Wallace clinic on my too green even for BN horse who had never gone cross country schooling before and it was so incredibly positive and confidence boosting for both me and horse.

I think someone on COTH had actually recommended the clinic for me. I am so glad I went. My horse thought he could jump the moon after we left. I HATE when instructors try to push through disobedience caused by fear with force and she was just soooo confidence boosting and patient.

I think she’s coming to my area again this summer, and even though all my horses are doing straight dressage these days I am tempted to try to get one jumping enough to go up for that clinic.

7 Likes

Daryl was going to be my rec, too!

1 Like

Waylon Roberts is great.

3 Likes

I just organized and participated in a clinic with John Michael Durr. I cannot say enough good things about him! Riders were mostly BN/N level with a few starter level and 2 P/T level. Everyone got so much out of it. We plan to have him back again towards the end of this year.

1 Like

Maybe next time I’ll be able to participate.

1 Like

It would depend on location and your client’s budget.

That being said I’ve been lucky to clinic with many… but I really liked Peter Gray.

I’ve been very impressed with Eric Dierks lately. He has great talent with all levels of horses and riders, but especially green or fairly inexperienced horses and riders.

3 Likes

Peter Gray is just the nicest man!

2 Likes

Depending on how far it is from Florence, AL, Jim Graham might do it. He comes to our barn at least once a month and is fantastic with lower level riders and all the kids. I cant really ride much now, but when I was riding more I loved my lessons with him.

3 Likes

I’d suggest Sally Cousins - excellent with the lower-level riders (as well as the UL ones) but young and/or green horses/riders get the same level of attention as the advanced ones - and she’s great for building confidence in both horses and riders!

3 Likes

Mary D’Arcy O’Connell near Fort Worth (Burleson) is excellent. She’s not terribly far from you (by Texas standards). She used to help coach the Irish Olympic team, as well as many other credentials. We are lucky to have her in this part of the country. :slight_smile:
https://www.charismaticmoonfarm.com/trainers

3 Likes

I highly recommend Caroline Atherholt McClung (Dowd) She has competed at Rolex and Badminton. She is AMAZING with lower level riders and those upper level. Always positive and horses and riders come away from her lessons feeling confident! She is located in VA.

1 Like

Stephen Bradley is WONDERFUL with riders of all levels. He’s a very popular clinician for a reason! More info about him here: https://stephensbradley.com/

Martin Douzant is also great with riders of all levels, and is a great clinician: https://theframesporthorses.com/

3 Likes

I don’t have a wealth of clinic experience, but I do lessons with Sally Cousins on occasion and I’d also highly recommend her!

1 Like