Unlimited access >

Feed Room Storage

Hi!

Does anyone have photos of their feed room they’d like to share? I wanted to originally create a separate feed/tack area, but due to space/logistics of how to divide my barn, they are in the same insulated little room.

I am looking for ideas on how to store grain/supplements besides the usual metal trash bins. There will be a max of three horses on site, so not large quantities needed. I’m thinking having one section of the room as a dedicated feed area with a countertop and shelves above as the feed component. The room is 24’ x 9’.

I’ve been looking at some of the stackable bins as well as the hard poly plastic bins from Horseman’s Pride and similar, but just curious to see what others have out there and what they like! :slight_smile:

I’ve got one photo on my phone that was taken really more silly knowing my old guy would love to be in the “kitchen”. But you can see the counter top and what’s worked well are those plastic feed bins with the screw on lid and they sit on a rolling base we bought at Harbor Freight and they store under the counter top. Super sweet. And I have max counter top space and that is really handy. I’ll get a better picture later when I’m back home but you get the idea. of the setup.

My tack/feed room is 12x24 and is sealed well to prevent rodents. I find having my tack and feed together works well. Do have a dehumidifier for wet weather.

7 Likes

Thank you. I love the idea of the little rolling bases to make it a lot easier. I was also planning on a dehumidifier as well.

1 Like

We use limited feed, mainly the 22+ mare gets feed, the weanling gets some, the others pretty much nothing.

My wife found a complete set of plans on how to build this feed storage bin with material list on line that included Step By Step assembly instructions… She built it

this is not in our feed room but in the barn aisle, feed room is in the other barn

17 Likes

I have my grain in metal garbage cans, but i have them on creepers, like used for auto repair. THen i built a table and shelves over that .

1 Like

Picture of our feed room, is 8’ x 16’, insulated and rodent and insect proof.
The floor is concrete painted with an epoxy paint.
It is wired and plumbed for washer and drier right of the sink, that we have not had need for.
On the left of the sink there is room for sacks by the door, easy to unload there.
Our vet likes us to keep any commercial feed in the sacks it comes in, so if there is a problem we know what sack is coming from:

6 Likes

I found that all the “feed room” I really need is one corner - the rest of what was intended to be a 12x12 feed room is now an office and overflow workshop. I order feed from chewy.com as I need another couple of bags - free shipping and cost is less than what I paid, including gas, pre-pandemic. And why store a bunch of bags? I originally had grandiose feed room plans after touring neighbors barns with granite countertops, wood cabinets and such. The abacus-appearing thing on the wall I built to keep track each day of how many pounds of hay or alfalfa pellets each horse has been fed by sliding the colored balls along brass rods. Two horses right now but room for four.

2 Likes

Here’s two shots of all the counter tops etc. We found the cabinets at the Habitat for Humanity Restore and they were brand new. As you can see, in my opinion you cannot have too many countertops. Amazing how they fill up.

8 Likes

The cabinets are beautiful. That’s my plan too is to check out Restore for some. Love your layout.

2 Likes

For 11 years I used IKEA plastic recycling bins that take a perfect 50 lb bag of feed. This past fall the rats finally decided to chew holes in them so I am replacing with metal garbage cans. Rats don’t seem to care about beet pulp alfalfa cubes or salt, but they lose their minds over flax, oats, and the high NSC extruded feed I use for treats. Lesson learned. Now they are eating the manure in the paddocks.

1 Like

I am jealous of these large rooms some of you have. I have an 8x10 combined grain and tack room.

I had a bookshelf built that is large and sturdy enough to hold 6 (3 on each shelf) of the 60 lbs vittles vaults. Then I use the top shelf as the countertop.

2 Likes

We have metal garbage cans to store feed. Built a wooden frame to hold the cans up off the floor at an angle, so that it’s easy for smallish me to reach all the way down into the bottom of the cans.

Above them, we put one of those free-standing wire double shelves that are meant to go over a side by side laundry pair, which gives lots of space for feed pans, supplements, treats, small buckets, measuring scoops, etc. The wire shelving also allows for the attachment of a set of hooks, which are useful.

We have an MD barn with metal walls, therefore most everything is free-standing, not attached to the walls - except for saddle, blanket, and tack storage - and use a magnetic dry erase board on the wall over the cans. under the shelving, to write feeding instructions.

Perpendicular to this, we have wide side by side drawer cabinets under a window, next to the utility sink. The tops of these give plenty of counter space for such things as weighing feed on a scale, using a pill crusher, measuring out liquids, etc.

Our space is not fancy, but it’s quite practical, has held up great for many years, and is easy to maintain. We have never had a rodent or a bug problem.

1 Like

Take a look at commercial food storage containers from a place like ULINE. Mine have little scoops that hook on top and wheels. Makes the room very easy to clean

6 Likes

I use these.

They fit underneath a counter and can be rolled in/out when needed, or the wheels can be taken off. Holds a 50lb bag of pretty much any grain, is light enough I can turn it over to pour out the dregs at the bottom, and the flip lid means it only requires one hand to open. I also have one in the house for dog food.

1 Like

Does anyone know of bins like this that are metal?

I was looking at some of these. Have you had an issue with pests chewing through? I like the wheels and that it looks like they should be able to fit under a counter too. Do they fit a 50 lb bag?

1 Like

I have two of the Horseman’s Pride feed bins. They are expensive but I found them on Marketplace for a good price. They easily hold 4 individual bags of grain or, if you dump the bags, up to 6 bags. I have a divider in one and put hay cubes on one side and a bag of pellets on the other. The other bin holds four individual bags.
I like them because they have a flat top so I can move my buckets from one to the other as I fill them. They are very heavy plastic; no problem with mice eating it. https://www.sstack.com/horsemens-pride-feed-bin/p/41333/sku/41333%20TN/?glCountry=us&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4aacBhCUARIsAI55maGeoaUdlaV913WZqvwbNpyUn-JhkFF1YDopCZeNE_6RHwGcTnfY5fAaAnigEALw_wcB

I have not had issues with rodents chewing through mine although I have some very high achieving barn cats and live in an area without a lot of mice. That being said, they are commercial grade ingredients bins, so I think rodent proof was in the design. They are very thick plastic and very sturdy.

I have two sizes.
29 X 13 X 29" easily fits one 50 lb with room to spare
29 X 15 X 29" fits two 50 lb bags

They are designed to fit under a counter.

They do make metal ones although…$$$$
https://www.katom.com/408-47150.html

Gulp! You weren’t kidding about $$$$ for the metal storage bins. :open_mouth:

Here is a link to a source for wood bins with metal liners. I bought my barn storage cabinets from them and the Amish quality is superb.

https://cupolasdirect.com/saddle-cabinets-barn-furniture/feed-bins.html

1 Like

I use deck boxes. I go through a lot of feed, as my senior mare cannot eat hay. I have two- one is for unopened bags and the other is for the open bags I’m currently feeding.

1 Like