Unlimited access >

Fencing our yard - aluminum?

We are moving next week and our new yard is currently unfenced :frowning: We have a 7 month old male lab puppy so it’s going to be a long, tough stretch until we get the fence up :dizzy_face:

DH is very interested in aluminum fence. I don’t have any experience with it - any pros or cons that I’m not thinking of? My only experience really is with split rail, which would be fine by me but DH is burned out on the upkeep.

I’m a little nervous as we met the new neighbor the other day and they have a female dog who does not sound terribly friendly. We will have our fence set in about 6 feet from their fence, which seems to be right on the property line. They have split-rail lined with wire.

Do you have an example of what you mean by an aluminum fence?

Something along these lines - I usually see it around pools and less frequently around large yards

Aluminum railing is a lovely option. In my area, it’s not uncommon to see it as yard fencing. It can be very low maintenance. It can also be a maintenance nightmare. The powder coating makes or breaks your experience. Good powder coating, no worries. Not so good powder coating, very bad.

Another consideration is future dog plans. Here, 4” OC picket spacing is standard. That will not hold small dogs. Your lab would be fine of course, but if you want a wee lap dog in the future…

1 Like

there are suppliers both domestic and imported of aluminum ornamental fence…most of the imported comes from Vietnam. A fence panel even if appears to be same usually is not equal because the grade of aluminium used and how the powder coat is applied and what depth of powder coat

a very good US manufacturer is Ultra Fence in Michigan, they have dealers nation wide. Quality product with all assembly in-house using proven materials and methods.

here is the web link tot he residential aluminum fencing

https://www.ultrafence.com/

I suggest you contact them for specifies regarding your needs on canine fencing, believe me they have been through this before and can recommend a proper design of fencing

1 Like

Thanks for the tips re: powdercoating. The one estimate we have so far is for an American-made brand (Regis) with lifetime warranty. Sounds like I need to check if the warranty includes the powder coat.

1 Like

also ask what grade aluminium they use … it will referred to as something like this 6005-T5 alloy

6061-T6 is or least was commonly used for crash gates back in the days when my company was doing government work

you can do a web search using the product number they say they use, you should be able to find a data sheet explaining all of that alloy’s properties including its ability to hold a powder coating (if properly applied)

2 Likes

We put in aluminum to replace an old wire fence. Lived there another 5 years. It was maintenance free. We did end up putting in an Invisible Fence as well after our Corgi figured out how to sneak under it. If you have slope it may be hard to contain a wily dog as the panels are best “stepped” vs following the rise.

1 Like

There are some panels can be adjusted to follow a slope… the pickets I believe are attached using one fastener per cross rail which allows the panel to be adjusted… ask the supplier to see if theirs will

In the pictures, I like the one with the flat top. Someone I know has a dog that tried to jump the fence (similar to those but with spikes) but impaled herself. She lived fortunately but had a lengthy and costly Vet stay.

1 Like

I’m looking to move in the next few years, and get a large dog, so I’ve been looking at fencing options as well. Wood can be a lot of upkeep. I’ve seen very little aluminum or wrought iron around here, but that does seem to wear better. There’s also Trex composite privacy fences that seem to be gaining in popularity.

I like the low maintenance options. It seems everything is expensive so might as well get something that lasts!

Exactly. I think if you’re going to pay to put a fence in, I’d rather only pay once.

What is called “wrought iron fencing” is steel tube that is powder coated, which is ornamental steel fence

Sort of like going to refreshment stand asking for coke when you get Pepsi

There are few, and I really mean a few as of One company in the world that still manufacturers wrought iron. Topp & Co in Great Britain

https://quotes.toppandco.com/

How long has that been the case? I’ve seen some beautiful fences on the early 1900s homes that look like real wrought iron. I wonder what they really are.

yes those older fences would have been true wrought iron, in the last forty or so years the demise of wrought iron fencing was sealed when steel tube fencing came on the market… then it got cheaper. I believe the last US producer stopped in the 1990s (might have been later?)

At first heavy steel tube was used for ornamental fencing, currently some manufacturers are using such light weight tube it could almost be EMT electrical conduit. Light weight panels are easily bent, the verticals can be displaced by a pet.

Regarding Steel ornamental, you need to know the gauge of steel used in the rails and pickets (the lower the number, the heavier it is). a quick cross comparison between suppliers would be the weight of the panel if the panels in question are the same sizes.

As for powder coatings which has become the common coating for ornamental steel fencing, again not all are equal as it is applied in millimetres of coating

The normal standard used in powder thickness measurement is the mil , where 1 mil is equal to a thousandth of an inch (1/1000”). So if the manufacturer’s specified thickness is 2 to 5 mils, the final cured thickness of the powder should be between 0.002 and 0.005 of an inch.

the same comments would be applicable for aluminium ornamental fencing

1 Like

Go look at the fence panels up close & personal … ask where there has been a public installation … dog park / restaurant patio …
Having grown up with real wrought iron fencing … while the aluminum looks nice from a distance; it was quite a SHOCK to me !

Wrought iron is available but astronomically expensive and fencing companies will talk you out of it.

So aluminum looks nice and they can lower a panel to accommodate a low place but depends on the level of dog activity … size, weight, and motivation to get out or to another dog… those verticals can become "cartoon’ like quickly.

Do your research as you only want to fence the yard ONCE.

Fencing is always stressful whether it’s for horses or dogs - IMHO

Good Luck !

I’ve seen some cheap looking stuff out there… but didn’t try to bend it. Makes sense to be very careful with materials for large dogs.

1 Like

Had that same thought about the pointy top style! I don’t know if I feel better or worse that my paranoia is justified :grimacing:

1 Like

It seems like we are going to wait 2+ months to get any fence installed :tired_face: I do not know how I’ll survive 2+ months with a 7 month old lab without a fenced yard.

Is it crazy to consider doing a temporary t-post enclosure with something like no-climb? I suggested to DH we just do it ourselves - which, I am not dying to do but I’m more of a gitterdone type than he is :laughing:

1 Like