Unlimited access >

Feral Kitten - Mobile

Instead of hi-jacking the other feral kitty thread I figured I’d start my own. This little kitten wandered meowing pitifully under my husbands volunteer fire fighter truck the first night after the fireworks. That truck is called the mobile so his name is Mobile LOL. He had a bot fly egg larvae in his neck and trauma to his hind end/tail. As long as he integrates with the rest of the animals here he’ll become cat #5…wish us luck. I do really think he was scared by the fireworks and just ran for his little life. Each night with the fireworks he starts meowing and is so scared. Last night he spent a few hours cuddled under a towel on my lap while the neighbors got their kicks for loud noises out. I’m hoping that was the last of it and we’re good now. Here are pics from the first 24 hours and his trip to the vet.

39 Likes

He did get his first bath last night and was quiet and well behaved if a little confused. His fur is so white and soft now. He will most likely need regular baths. His tail has no feeling in it, thankfully he is using a litterbox which was a requirement for quality of life from the vet but he just sits in the litterbox and goes he doesn’t hold himself up off the litter. We’re going to make sure to bathe him regularly so that when he’s older if he needs to be cleaned we can do it easier. I also think he was anemic his little nose and gums were white when we found him but are now a cute little pink. He’s feeling worlds better and acting like a normal kitten now. I’ll keep ya’ll updated here he will most likely need his tail amputated when he gets neutered so that it’s not just dragging behind him.

32 Likes

What a sweet and adorable little kitty! So glad he found you! One of mine was about that age when I found him and scared to death of me, but has become the biggest lover. I hope it all works out with the litterbox and the tail. :heart:

5 Likes

you are a good photographer, and you know all the enablers here are egging you on!

5 Likes

He was scared of us and hissy for about 12 hours but he’s already a total love bug.

21 Likes

He’s so cute!! What a sweet voice. :heart:Mobile

3 Likes

When I ran the video, my cat Hedwig was on my lap, and she started looking all over. Something was very wrong and needed to be looked into!!

I turned the sound off.

That little bugger is looking forward to a lifetime of yummy food and treats. Lucky guy!

6 Likes

He’s precious!! Thank you for taking him in and helping him. :heart:

3 Likes

He’s adorable! I hope his hind end issues are just with his tail and amputation resolves it.

We had a kitty with hind end issues but it wasn’t as stable as your kitty sounds like. I don’t want to worry you. He was on pain management (gabapentin) because he did feel his tail and lower back and his pain was constant without meds. He was very difficult to manage and had surgery to try to help, but it didn’t work. We had to put him down at age five when his neurological problems worsened and his pain was no longer manageable.

When our little guy was in pain, the first sign was biting at his tail and back legs. It progressed to yowling, hissing, and biting at his back legs by the time he was two. Watch him for those signs. If we had to do it again, we would. Jacob was a wonderful cat. He was worth the snuggles and purrs when he was at peace. We dosed him twice a day for three years with gabapentin and if we stayed on schedule, he stayed relatively pain free. When that stopped working, we let him go.

2 Likes

His eyes look so large and I love the dark around them. He is striking.

I hope he fits in well and can stay. People across the creek up on the bluff were still setting off fireworks at 2:30 am this morning!

1 Like

That’s definitely good to know what to look for. So far his back legs are completely normal and he’s not acting in pain with them. He has a weird shape to the end of his pelvis where his tail connects and the vet though there might be an abscess there and he was painful when they palpated. Honestly that’s partly why we’re keeping him - no one wants to adopt a kitten that needs expensive surgery off the bat and might deal with pain long term. I am well aware of handling painful animals we can handle any pain meds and all of the cats are on a joint supplement added to the dry food. I have a cold laser and can do some basic pt if needed. We have a heated bed that the dog with IVDD and cat with spine arthritis both use.

7 Likes

His lil face in the bath pic!!! I’m glad he is warming up - I hope he mixes in well with the rest of your crew!

2 Likes

Thank you! He deserves his own thread. I love him! The bath pic, OMG! His little eyes are SO BIG! I wonder if the little guy got rolled by a car. Does he soil himself or just soil his tail?

My one rescue was from a hoarding situation & she also hates fireworks/thunder. I turn the TV up loudly to block the noise. She instinctively goes to the basement or our 1 bathroom, that doesn’t have windows.

Thank you for saving him! May your kindness come back to you.

4 Likes

He sounds like he’ll be fine. :grinning:

1 Like

He’s fully capable of using the litter box and is aware of going to the bathroom. He does just sit on the litter instead of holding himself up higher and because the tail is limp it just drags through everything. I think once it’s amputated he’ll be good. We might need to wipe or wash his bum off every once in awhile but I don’t think it’ll be a daily thing. He’s very good at grooming himself too.

22 Likes

Maybe because he cannot lift his tail he thinks he is higher off the litter than he really is or cannot really tell where his booty ought to be. If his poos are okay, then that’s fine but imagine having diarrhea and the subsequent mess. ugh…

He really is so cute. If I haven’t said thank you for taking him in - thank you for taking him in.

2 Likes

Awww thanks it’s definitely a good feeling to see him coming out of his shell. So far poos are normal thank god though the second day there were a lot lol he was clearly purging lots of stuff out. His tummy has been a bit gurgly so I added probiotics powder to his dry food. We’ll stick with the same natural chicken dry kitten food and kitten pate wet food. Since he hasn’t had regular food I’m guessing it take maybe a week for everything in his system to even out. He has a follow up vet appointment next Monday.

7 Likes

Mobile might be like a boy version of Lola (Peepy Cat). He’s also a pink nosed tabby and white. His eyes aren’t green yet but they might turn green as he gets older.

5 Likes

What a sweetheart! :heart_eyes: He definitely found the right people, sounds like he’s going to be just fine.

2 Likes

How good of you to take him on.:slight_smile: He is really adorable, the expression on his little face when he is being bathed and then that close up of his face. What the h just happened… poor little guy.
A bath is a small price to pay for the good life he will have with you!

2 Likes