Unlimited access >

Filled with Bliss

I had to share my excitement! I just adopted a little wild baby from a local herd here in southern California. I love her to pieces! She is nine months old and was still nursing when they put her in the catch pen. She came out of the trailer like she’s been doing it all her life. She was calm and curious. After about an hour, I was able to walk around next to her with my hand on her. I’m calling her Bliss.

54 Likes

She is adorable! Where can I get that t shirt you’ve got on?

1 Like

A friend got it for my birthday last year. She thinks it might have been Amazon.

She’s a beauty! Congratulations :slight_smile:!

1 Like

oh she’s pretty! May all your dreams for her come true…and THAN some!!

Congratulations! Here is to many years of partnership between you two!

1 Like

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Dressage-Horse-Shirt-What-Understand/dp/B079M4WSMN

3 Likes

Thank you guys so much! Yesterday I worked with her several times for about 1/2 hour each time. I was finally able to pet her neck and shoulders on both sides - as long as I kept scratching her butt :rofl:

7 Likes

Thank you for the link! I just ordered one!

I think we need more photos to be sure she is doing OK…(or so we can swoon over her cuteness)

5 Likes

I tried to upload two small video clips - not sure if they worked. In the second pic, she’s got those two fluffs of hair. I tried to pull them off, but they are little dreadlocks! They’ll have to wait until I can groom her. The last pic is her with the herd in Tehachapi. She is so chill. The palomino mare in the background charges the fence and rears and kicks and Bliss could not care less. I did notice when the mare doesn’t know I’m around, they get along like peas and carrots.

20 Likes

She is adorable.

2 Likes

Today she allowed me to put a rope around her neck, reach over her back and touch her other side, touch her legs below the knee, and pull burrs out of her mane. I am amazed that she was wild and not weaned 2 1/2 days ago.

11 Likes

She’s a pretty little girl. I have found that if you approach things in a matter of fact way with mustangs they are pretty sensible and will be quite calm about it. I like that she seems quite curious about things. That bodes well.

Can’t wait to see her with some good groceries on board and all groomed up.

5 Likes

She has the face and ears of a Good Egg…and she’s adorable!

2 Likes

Pretty Girl! :heart_eyes:

I nearly moved to Tehachapi (Bear Valley Springs) waaaaay back in 2007.
It was pretty undeveloped back then. Now?
I had no idea there were wild herds in SoCal :open_mouth:

This filly is from a herd in Tehachapi. They believe they are descended from Morgans. They are missing a vertebrae and someone did some DNA testing. There are many stories about how they got there. One I’ve heard is a general was bringing cavalry horses up and something happened to him. The horses got out and eventually became feral.

About (oakcreekwildhorses.com)

(8) Friends of Oak Creek Horses | Facebook

PS - I got a halter on her yesterday!

9 Likes

I like her build and can see the Morgan influence. Her neck ties in much more nicely than some of the mustangs and I love her bone structure. I’m sure you’ll be grooming her all over soon enough. I used to help with some wild horse adoptions and the yearlings would usually be up at the front of the pens asking for skritchies by the end of the weekend events. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Wow!
100yrs+ of the herd in Tehachapi :astonished:
Looks like your Bliss is most likely a feral Morgan :sunglasses:
I will quibble with the SoCal description.
Tehchapi/Bakersfield is High Desert - so more NorCal, right?

3 Likes

Those legs! She’s going to be a hefty girl when grown up. We need to start the “I Love Bliss” clique like in the old days of CoTH.

3 Likes