Unlimited access >

Final Answer: Carport Barn - Now Stall Size?

So I’ve posted several threads about building my new barn. I’m not going to try and link them here, but they are out there. I’ve debated size, orientation, costs and building styles. After much angst; my conclusion is that 1. I’d prefer to build in stages to spread costs out 2. I’d like as much roof space as possible 3. I need wind ratings / engineered plans 4. I’m not willing to wait 6 months to get a roof up 5. 12 ft sidewalls

I just ordered a carport to use as the roof structure. I was hesitant to go this route initially but after quite a bit of research it turned out to the best option for my situation. I purchased a vertical roof style sized at 30x45x12.

I’m going to set it up inside as a center aisle, though my aisle will be narrow, with three stalls and a bunch of storage bays. Stalls will open to runs of the back.

If I put the aisle dead center of the 30 ft width I could have approximately 10 ft wide stall 10 ft wide aisle 10 ft wide stall cum feed / tack / hay / grooming stall / storage etc. In this scenario I’m thinking I would have 3 stalls sized at approximately 10x15 all down one side. For my personal use, I’m not seeing much reason why a 10x15 stall would be a problem compared to a traditional 12x12 stall. I’d like to hear if you have strong opinions on this though!!!

Alternatively, I could offset the aisle from dead center of the barn and have 12 ft wide stall 10 ft wide aisle 8 ft wide storage. I’m going to be looking at the gable end of the barn from my house and am concerned that the aisle being off center is going to look funny and bug me.

Another option would be an 8 ft wide aisle with 11 ft wide stalls and storage areas. With aisle dead center. Since this is strictly for personal use and I don’t cross tie in aisles, this might be a good option if we think a 10x15 stall is just going to be too tight, especially after kick walls are added the interior width might be closer to 9’6” than 10’. Though I am concerned that an 8ft aisle might restrict what equipment I can drive through the barn.

I’d love to hear y’all’s thoughts and opinions!

Personally I would go with the 10’ stalls and 10’ aisle, for all of the reasons you mentioned. 10’x15’ stalls should not be an issue for most horses, as even a giant horse could stand along the 15’ length and be perfectly comfortable. I would give some though to where you will put things like water buckets, feeders, hay bags, etc inside the stall though. A water bucket could easily make 10’ feel like 9’ to your horse.
Sounds like you’ll have a pretty efficient and spacious set up once you’re done!

1 Like

The widest aisle you can manage.

Signed, someone who just had to cut the axle on the brand new spreader to get it to fit. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would do the 10’x15’ stalls, 12’ aisle, and 8’ storage.
I hate hate hate narrow aisles and would never go less than 12’.

2 Likes

I’d go with the 10-10-10 plan. I have a 10’ aisle in my home barn, and it’s plenty wide enough for personal use, particularly if you avoid storing anything there. My horses can come and go, so my aisle is empty. I can also drive my truck through it, but I have to pay attention to the mirrors.

As far as making your stalls seem wider, you can use stall gates and/or half walls so the horses can stick their heads into the aisles. This is another thing you probably wouldn’t want to do at a public barn, but works out well in a home barn. I have that, too. My stall walls are a little over 4’ high, and I just use stall guards for doors (stall gates would be a much better solution). I have 4 horses who are all turned out together, so they get along okay. I’ve had a total of 7 horses in those 4 stalls, and have never had one try to escape over the walls or doors, even if they were anxious about being the only horse left in the barn, or a new arrival.

3 Likes

I’m actually planning on the water being in the runs! But I see your point about buckets and feeders! Good feedback thank you!

Omg! That’s crazy re the spreader!

I had to lay my barn out similar to what you’re planning. Its a 30x40 structure, I have a 10’ aisle, 2 -10x16 stalls on one side along with a 10x8 feed bay, and on the other side a 10x20 stall, a 10x10 wash stall, and a 10x10 tack room. Yes, the aisle is a little snug, but totally doable for my needs. Stalls are SUPER roomy, and my doors allow horses to hang their heads in the aisle which helps with the 10’ depth.

ETA - Be aware that once you sink your support posts for stalls, you’re aisle and stalls are actually going to be closer to 9’6"…not a big deal but makes a difference. I was super annoyed I had to cut 6" off of my stall mats to fit.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. Functionality trumps looks. I’ll have to consider hard before I make a final decision. I’m ok with 8ft wide storage bays, at 45 ft length I can probably fit supplies for 3 horses in that space. It’s the off center look that bugs me lol

1 Like

:laughing:

Maybe you could put up a little 2’ wall on the ends so that from the outside it looks even? But that can be taken down or folded in when you need to drive a large vehicle through

1 Like

I won’t be storing anything in the aisle, except perhaps to park something during a hurricane.

My intention is to have stalls with an option for a gossip door so horses can poke their heads out.

I was thinking that having all stalls on one side would somewhat mitigate the issue with a narrow aisle.

Thanks for sharing!

Ooooo! That’s a jam up idea!

1 Like

Yes I’m concerned about once stalls are built that the interior would be less than 10 wide. Maybe snug for my 17 hander. Though he usually opts to sleep in his run (when he has one) if it isn’t raining.

Have you noticed any issues with the narrower stalls and aisle?

My 17h warmblood has zero issues, they are SO much roomier than the 12x12 stalls at my trainers! I think the length makes a big difference. The aisle is only snug when I lead two in at a time, I am able to comfortably drive my tractor down the aisle, which was the biggest factor when deciding on width. I do have a grooming/wash stall so I don’t really need to crosstie in the aisle, which helps too.

1 Like

I have 10’x10’ (in theory, not actually as per what was said above) stalls with a 10’ wide aisle. All my stalls open to an overhang and a small paddock. Though 10’x10’ is now considered smaller in size nothing I have owned has had a problem with them. I am not one to close them in their stalls though. Even when they have been on stall rest, I included their overhang as accessible space to them.

The 10’ aisle might be crowded if I was a boarding barn but for personal use it is plenty of room. We drive the tractor in, we pull hay wagons in to unload.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for those additional details. That’s very helpful. I thought I had seen some study showing horses prefer rectangular stalls but now of course I can’t find it lol.

I had a horse flip around and wreck while cross tied in an aisle many moons ago. I’ve never cross tied in an aisle since.

Glad to know the tractor isn’t too tight for the aisle!

1 Like

Good to hear another vote that 10’ is enough aisle for most personal barns! And tractors!

I’m thinking that with access to runs off the stalls that 10’ deep should suffice. I want an overhang off the back too! In fact my pops recently overbought for a metal roof project so I might get one sooner rather than later!

I have a 10x16 foaling stall. The mare I bred was a big girl, a tank. She had no problem sharing it. The foal could move more with the length. If she stood in a corner the baby had a playpen. I highly recommend rectangular.

1 Like

My 10’ aisle for my personal use barn works well. Enough room for the vet/farrier, etc. but I don’t store anything except a single much tub/broom and pitchfork.

1 Like

With ‘gossip doors’ (that’s cute) and a 10ft aisle you may have to tie up the ‘too friendly’ one if a vet/ farrier is working on another in the aisle.

1 Like