Unlimited access >

Finally had an eye exam

I finally had an eye exam today. I had cataracts removed in January 2021, and a year’s worth of followup visits with the surgeon. But then I moved in early 2022. Today’s visit was to get established with an opthalmologist here in Northern Colorado, and make sure nothing bad has been happening in the nearly two years since my last followup.

Everything was fine. The doc said I had a bit of regrowth on one eye that could be cleaned up, but he suggested waiting to see how it looks in a year. I see very well, so I was fine with that advice. Having my diabetes get out of control for a short while didn’t impact my eyes, and I’m very grateful for that. It’s under good enough control now that it should not be an issue.

This was a relief, as I was concerned that waiting two years between visits might have been a very bad idea. I won’t do it again.

Rebecca

17 Likes

Glad you got a good report from the Dr.

Question. You said cataracts removed, but now have a slight regrowth? Did they not put in new lenses after removal? Can cataracts regrow on replacement lens?

Asking because I am scheduled to get one eye fixed with a new lens. No one has ever said they had a cataract regrow after surgery. Sounds scary! And in only 2 years? Wow! I am hoping one repair and done for each eye.

Mine will be a simple replacement, like new glass in a window. Still will need my specs, but should improve clarity, maybe long distance vision improved . Not a candidate for the multi-focal lenses. DARN IT! Eyeball health is good, shape is properly round, which made him happy. He told me I need to start “vision” vitamins, gave me some free samples.

3 Likes

What is happening is common. My surgeon told me that most people need a bit of laser cleanup a year or two down the road. The doc today told me it’s because the outer ring of the cataract is retained, and sometimes cells can grow on the new artificial lens from that ring. It is not a big deal. The original surgeon told me the cleanup takes about ten minutes in the office, not another surgery.

I have just the lowest level (monovision) lenses, and it was a huge game changer for me. I went from awful nearsightedness and astigmatism to close to 20/20 vision. I rarely use reading glasses, and my distance vision is very sharp.

You will be thrilled to pieces with the result. I didn’t realize how washed out everything had become. I hadn’t driven at night for about three years, and now I don’t think twice about it, I drive confidently at night. And for me, no more glasses except the occasional readers.

Rebecca

6 Likes

Well that is a lot no one has ever mentioned! So along with “new window glass,” I will need to get them cleaned every few years! Ha ha I do thank you for sharing this information!!

I did find out my astigmatism is below the line for being needed in measurements, won’t affect the lens fit. Weird because I always thought it was terribly bad when my glasses were made. Big difference in eyeball and glasses astigmatism he said. Poof! Not worth mentioning now!

“Everyone” says the surgery is no big deal, with fast recovery time. Guess I will find out for myself on that. Everyone seems very pleased with their results, so I am looking forward to that!

3 Likes

Can you please name some of the vitamins?

4 Likes

I thought the surgery was very easy. I have so many health challenges that I was pretty nervous going into it, but it was all fine. And some people will never need the cleanup, some might only need it once.

I had to wear an eyepatch leaving the surgical center; I think I was able to take it off as soon as I had my first followup appointment (i think the next day-ish), but still wore it at night for a while to prevent accidentally scratching the surgical site. I could see through the patch once the dressing was taken off my eye at the first followup, so wearing it at night was no big deal. After my first eye was done, I had DH remove the lens from my glasses from that side so I could see well. After the second eye, I donated all my ridiculous number of pairs of glasses I had lying around. I think I kept my favorite frames in case I ever need them, but I haven’t needed to get prescription lenses.

I had my eyes done two weeks apart, I think. By the time I got the second eye done, I was done with the eyepatch on the first one.

I had limitations on lifting and bending, and stayed out of dusty environments at first. I was also limited on exercise as you are not supposed to raise your blood pressure unnecessarily.
I didn’t have any horses left when I had the surgery, so I didn’t have to worry about being around a horse. It will be more of a challenge for you since your horses are home. The restrictions don’t last very long–a couple of weeks for each eye.

Rebecca

2 Likes

Thanks RM Jacobs, sounds like the same restrictions my mother had when she got her cataracts fixed a number of years ago. Check-up the next day. Husband can do chores, so I can stay out of the barn during recovery time. I will probably get the second eye done soon after, though it is not as bad as the first. No need to wait.

Glasses will probably still be needed, Dr did not think new lens will cure my vision issues. But clear will be a big improvement!! Time will tell if cataract regrows. Just was something no one has ever mentioned! Thanks again!!

3 Likes

Friend just had both eyes operated on.
One one day, the other the next day.
He had to wear dark glasses, even indoors, as the new lenses are UV sensitive for a bit.
That is on purpose, as in three weeks they will examine his sight and thru carefully calibrated UV rays tweak the lens prescription to what he needs.
That will be done for a few sessions until his sight is as perfect as it can be.
He wore glasses all his life and is looking forward to not have to again.

The advances are incredible, all they can do, good luck to those getting that surgery.

4 Likes

Rackonteur The formula appears pretty common for the vitamins, under names like Vision Shield that I purchased. It is the Meijer store generic, exact same vitamin amounts as the Bausch and Lomb formula, plus $10 cheaper!

Vit C, Vit E, Zinc, Copper, Lutein, Zeaxanthin Isomers. There are some misc item in ingredients under the vitamin list. One gel pill am, one gel pill pm, both with meals/food.

I have Macrodegeneration, along with needing corrected vision. So far, no issues with the Macro, but I am careful to wear good, dark sunglasses, hats with brims to prevent UV getting into the eyeball. The surgeon “doesn’t believe” UV affects Macro, but every other eye Dr I know does! Just like horse people!! Ha ha So I am now taking the vitamins and continuing with brimmed hats and sunglasses when outside. One of those “can’t hurt, might help, no problem using them” in my daily life. I always wore brimmed hats anyway. My Mom was big on us kids wearing hats outside, we loved our cowboy hats! Wore them at every opportunity!!

3 Likes

Bluey Thanks for that information! No one I know has had lenses needing that type adjusting! Sounds pretty amazing. My Macrodegeneration prevents my getting the multi focal lenses. Dr would not use them because they might adversely affect my vision, the Macro, making things worse if anything changed.

Anyway, his new lens sound amazing for improving his life!!

1 Like

Very interesting. I haven’t heard about that level of tweaking. I’ll be curious how it all works out for him.

Rebecca

1 Like

My trainer had cataract surgery done early this year. Right eye done in Jan. Healed up according to plan, easy-peasy. Had L eye done 4 weeks later on a Thursday. Had some blurring, called to report that to Dr’s office, no one was concerned. By the next morning she couldn’t see from that eye, called again, “on call” Dr. told her to come in on Monday. She had a severe infection, had weeks of antibiotic injections in the eye, 2 more surgeries, steroids, etc. over the course of 8 months. Her eye never regained vision, started to collapse and she is now scheduled for enucleation right after New Year’s. She had the procedure done at a University teaching hospital by the head of the department. Please do your research, ask all the questions and DO NOT let medical staff dismiss you if you feel something is wrong. Her experience has been anything BUT routine and regrets it to this day.

2 Likes

What a nightmare!

It has been an absolute nightmare, and while this is a rare case, it does happen. My trainer is so mad she didn’t demand attention sooner, but she isn’t a pushy or confrontational person. She got a 2nd and 3rd opinion and nothing further could be done to save her eye. Add insult to injury, those Drs. told her removel wasn’t “medically necessary”, so her insurance wouldn’t cover the $150,000 enucleation. Medically necessary means chronic infection, unbearable pain, etc. The fact that her muscle/facial structure around the socket and that her eye has already shrunk to less than 50% of its normal size so everyone stares at her is considered a “cosmetic” reason. She eventually revisited the original surgeon and with the threat of a lawsuit hanging over their head, they agreed to due the enucleation and followup prosthetic surgery at no cost.

How awful for your trainer! I’d never heard of any bad outcomes among people I know when I scheduled mine, although of course I know it can happen. That is outrageous that the enucleation isn’t considered medically necessary. Having small children run from one in terror should be a good enough reason. I’m glad the surgeon is taking care of it–maybe had they been responsive, they might have been able to save her eye and her vision.

Rebecca

2 Likes

Wow! That is terrible to have happened to her, escalated by the refusal to finish caring for their errors!! Glad to hear she pushed them back into a corner, SHOULD get all her surgery costs covered by the hospital, NOT her insurance. So very sorry this happened to her.

The fact that no surgeon is 100% perfect on procedures has been holding me back. But I can’t put it off any longer, need to get it done. I will do all my part, pre-op stuff, the rest is up to them. I WILL NOT wait if I get any reactions!! I can be very noisy!

2 Likes

Yep, we never think about negative outcomes because luckily, they are rare. My trainer’s parents both had uneventful cataract surgery over 20 years ago. Both of my grandparents did and my vet had it done 2 years ago. All textbook outcomes. I’m not relating this story to scare anyone into NOT doing it, but you need to be your own advocate IF things don’t seem 100% ok afterwards. None of us want to be the hypochondriac or whiny/demanding patient. My trainer is pretty tough and stoic like most horsewomen. In this case, I think she wishes she hadn’t been.

4 Likes

that’s awful! I had cataracts at 45 and had both eyes done within a year. No complications thankfully but it is interesting to see some can grow back. I am almost 20 years out and still don’t have to wear glasses…I had worn glasses or contacts up until 45 so I loved that the cataract surgery took care of that. I am light sensitive so live in sunglasses when outside.

1 Like

Was there a reason you got them so young? I know predniosone can do that, and I’m sure there are other causes.

I was 64 when mine got bad enough to remove. I’m not very light sensitive, but I try to wear good sunglasses outside anyway. It’s so nice being able to wear over the counter sunglasses rather than pricy prescription ones. I have a pair in each car, in my bike bag, and a few other places. No more having to ask myself where I left my one pair of prescription sunglasses.

Rebecca

1 Like

They said it was either from not wearing strong enough sunglasses or from my nasal spry (vancanese) I have always been light sensitive so was surprised about sunglass comment because I live in sunglasses.

1 Like