Unlimited access >

Finding Dress Boots

Hi everyone! I am looking for my first pair of dress boots–I’ve been hunting in my field boots for years and those are ready to be retired. Does anyone have recommendations on where to find used fox hunting boots? Or is anyone on here selling?

I’m a ladies US size 8. Tall (around 46cm/18in back of boot length excluding sole) and wide calf (around 37cm/14.75in).

Dream dress boot would have detachable patent cuffs, but I’m not currently at a point I can purchase $1000+ customs. Let me know where you’ve found your boots. Thanks!

Middleburg Tack Exchange. They’re very helpful in the shop and on the phone. (540) 687-6608 We used to live in the area, and they do a lot of outfitting for foxhunters. (They have a large used boot section in their basement.) You also might consider checking ebay periodically (believe it or not, I’ve found some nice boots this way) and facebook groups devoted to tack.

Get a pair that are comfortable from get-up-and-go. Hunting is a very practical sport and having the ‘correct’ number of creases at the ankle is not a consideration. Riding for several hours puts a different strain on your legs than a show round in an arena and boots that are too tight are miserable and may ruin your enjoyment of a busy day. The reason for long boots is they provide protection from scrub grabbing at you, being kicked by another horse and knocks in gateways so the leather should be thick/heavy enough to do the job. Many of the more fashionable brands of tall boots are not designed to stand up to the mud. rain and scratches of hunting ones.

Tried Middleburg! Thanks–just waiting to hear what they have in stock.

I also tried eBay, but the biggest problem I’m running into is finding boots my darn calves can fit into. All these tall, skinny-calved boots up for sale and with breeches and socks, I need something that’s 15.25" around the outside.

Willesdon, what fashionable brands are you referring to? I’ve found Ariats and Mountain Horse (though they dropped way too much for my tall legs) have withstood hunting. I am curious which brands you mean–do they sell them at tack shops? I certainly hope not.

I understand - my lower legs are very short compared to my shoe size and femur length, so I always have to look for a brand that comes in short, or the odd pair that someone has already trimmed the tops from. I also usually have to buy a bigger shoe size than what I normally wear because, oddly enough, I like to wear thick wool socks all year. It’s challenging!

‘Fashion’ in the sense of boots for show jumping or dressage that tend to have thinner leather.

I have a friend with short fat legs - not to put too fine a point on it - and she could not find anything that fitted her. This company made really good boots for her http://www.equitector.com/ and she is still using them some 20 years later.

http://www.foxhuntersconsignmentstore.com/

I’ll be in Boston this weekend–are there any fox hunting-oriented tack shops people know of?

Boulet makes really tough english riding boots. They aren’t as pretty as the fancy ones, but they’re made to fit real legs rather than pencils.

[QUOTE=fallingwithstyle;8876535]
I’ll be in Boston this weekend–are there any fox hunting-oriented tack shops people know of?[/QUOTE]

Not really but the SmartPak store on Rt. 9 has a teeny tiny hunt section as well as some boots up on their clearance floor. Always worth a look if you are in the area.

So the boots I ordered from Middleburg arrived. I was told they were gently used, but please see photos for what gently used means. They’re $99 plus shipping and I can get them on with the plastic-bag method, but am a little shocked at how cracked the leather is (my gosh, they look like alligator skin boots :eek:) and that they’re so broken-in when I stressed to the sales associate that I’d need them to drop about .5-1 inch from their current height to fit me comfortably. Please see photos.

https://postimg.org/gallery/2yzfqpboa/

These do not look like “gently used” boots. Do I bargain since I can actually get them on or just return them and request they don’t charge me shipping since boots aren’t as described? I am flabbergasted at the state of the leather. How much would you pay for these?

I can’t see the photo, at work and some sites are blocked so can’t say if I would pay that.

I will say that you might want to join some of the FB sale pages. English tack trader on FB has a ton of boots for sale and some nice ones under $100. I have a hard time pay tons for something that might not fit and then have to ship it back. 90% of the time I have been very happy with the things I have gotten off FB only a few have not fit and that is due to not knowing that I would need that measurement for fit. I have been able to sell the items on for the same price as paid for.

I’m look for new boots as well as I have out grown my calf on mine. It is very hard to find Xwide size 9’s.

[QUOTE=LesleyW;8876819]
Boulet makes really tough english riding boots. They aren’t as pretty as the fancy ones, but they’re made to fit real legs rather than pencils.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a web site for them? I only seam to come up with western boots.

[QUOTE=fallingwithstyle;8883346]
So the boots I ordered from Middleburg arrived. I was told they were gently used, but please see photos for what gently used means. They’re $99 plus shipping and I can get them on with the plastic-bag method, but am a little shocked at how cracked the leather is (my gosh, they look like alligator skin boots :eek:) and that they’re so broken-in when I stressed to the sales associate that I’d need them to drop about .5-1 inch from their current height to fit me comfortably. Please see photos.

https://postimg.org/gallery/2yzfqpboa/

These do not look like “gently used” boots. Do I bargain since I can actually get them on or just return them and request they don’t charge me shipping since boots aren’t as described? I am flabbergasted at the state of the leather. How much would you pay for these?[/QUOTE]

I can’t see the photos, but FYI, MTE does not “bargain” or take offers on anything other than saddles. All other items are the price they are tagged.

Difficult to tell form photos if that’s dry cracking or wrinkly, soft, broken-in leather. That would make a difference to me.

I bought Effingham Legend semi-custom dress boots from EBay last season. They were unworn, and i know I got them for less than $100. That said, I don’t necessarily think you’ve gotten a “bad” deal at the price. I wouldn’t haggle. If they’re not what you’re looking for, just ship them back. Such is life when ordering used boots remotely. Be glad you can return them at all, I suppose.

I was the one who recommended Middleburg, and I’ve always been impressed with their service, but I have to say that I wouldn’t consider the condition of the leather on the right boot to be “gently used.” Were the boots in the third picture in the same pair, or was the left one just for comparison? If they’re supposed to be a pair, they are definitely not the same. The tabs are different, as is the leather quality, and even the height appears to be vastly different. If these two were sent to you as a pair, it looks as though the one on the left was the correct boot and its mate got mixed up with another boot. If these were sent to you as a pair, I would definitely call them and send the photos as needed.

Inclined, I thought the same thing. I think they shipped you 2 different boots.

I would call and see if they can fix the issue.

Sorry for the lack of clarity! Those two boots are from different pairs–but both marketed as gently used. I would not consider the pair I was sent gently used. Here are pictures of the pair of boots I was sent from Middleburg: https://postimg.org/gallery/1bnxyscxw/

I think what bothers me is that there was no disclosure that the state of the leather is noticeably different between the boots. Maybe she didn’t think it was an issue? I feel it is as $99 seems too expensive for these. I did call the shop and they won’t come down. I am so torn between having boots for Opening Hunt and having boots that don’t look noticeably different. Thanks for the replies!

OP, what size foot do you have? I might have a pair here that will fit you.

Falling, whoever you spoke with evidently didn’t think it was an issue, but honestly, it would be to me. How much will you be out on shipping (total) if you send them back? Depending on the shipping costs, it might be worth your while to keep them for Opening Hunt and then see if you can resell them. Is Opening this weekend? If it’s not until next weekend or later, there are some pairs of traditional Marlborough (made in England) dress boots on ebay in your size that would cost about half as much.