Unlimited access >

Fine. I got influenced

Let me paint you a picture.

I did my weekly trip to Dover last week and stumbled across the sale section. I was browsing and found a pair of breeches on sale for $109 and remember thinking ‘dang - that’s not bad!’
(Author’s note: it was, in fact, bad because they weren’t actually on sale. Just mislabeled.)

I left and had a wild realization: why am I ok buying $129 breeches at Dover when the sole reason I hadn’t purchased from Free Ride Equestrian was because of the $90 price tag (Lux)? I chalked it up to the smell of leather clouding my judgement and moved on.

For the next 2 days, I not only came across the various threads on here, but also, every single TikToker I follow has either recently been gifted some FRE apparel or bought them. Regardless, enough is enough.

Guys they came in (got 2 Lux pairs 50% off!!! LFG) and I’ve never felt another riding pant material like this. They’re so so good. Haven’t ridden in them yet but I am tomorrow and I’m so excited.

Free Ride Equestrian, I’m sorry I waited so long but dang girl you’re killing it.

20 Likes

How good are they at hiding lumps and bumps? That’s always the thing I worry about with riding tights vs breeches.

4 Likes

@SBrentnall - They’re not :slight_smile:

This is not a knock - I’ve been very impressed with their breeches for comfort. They are thin, stretchy fabric (think lulu leggings) and are very comfortable, but will not hide anything. Pick your priority and shop accordingly!

6 Likes

Just based off of the material, I’m going to assume it will not be very shaping or offer any compression…

What I look for in literally anything I put on my body is one of two things - can it keep me cool, and how well can it hide my sweat? I am an extremely sweaty person whether I’m sitting in an office chair or working out, so I almost exclusively look for materials and clothing that is, of course, flattering, but will not show my excessive sweat.

From my purchasing experience so far, I’ve found I’ve had to give up on compression and/or other smoothing materials because they show sweat so horrifically. When I’m schooling alone I don’t care and will wear them, but jf others are around I just don’t feel my most confident.

That said, although I’ve had one child and been through a weight loss of ~35 pounds in the past 2 years, I’m still relatively young (mid 20s), so my body is still maturing and I’m OK for now to forego the compression and smoothing for day to day

3 Likes

They hide nothing. They are like yoga pants with no structure.

I have a couple pairs and while comfortable, they don’t hold up to all day wear. But I wear them all day and do farm chores in them cause I like them. I just don’t look great in them.

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone. This is very helpful!

1 Like

Their Pro breeches have compression and are really flattering, although the new Pro 2.0 model isn’t quite as compressive as the originals. I love the OG Pros and ride in them pretty much exclusively now. Their winter breeches are also amazing and a nice thick but stretchy fabric and currently BOGO - I just bought two more pairs. All of them wear like iron, can go in the washer and dryer with no issues, and are so comfortable. I think they’re a great deal for the price, especially since they go on sale pretty frequently.

8 Likes

Have you tried Romfh breeches? I think they can hide anything.

6 Likes

So is the consensus that the Free Rides are less compressive? I hate compression fabric – at 67, I don’t care about lumps and bumps :smile: (I’m pretty thin now, so sort of “wasting away” and don’t have a lot of adipose tissue – really wish I had more in the gluteal area! Oy.)

But I really hate to feel like the proverbial sausage casing, and prefer my breeches a little bit looser so I can move in them!

5 Likes

Romfhs are the Hogwarts Invisibility Cloak of breeches. And thank God.

27 Likes

Yes, although they don’t fit me that great. I have a couple of pairs, but generally stick to Pikeur, some Eurostar, and some Halter Ego.

1 Like

:joy:

I have no problem with opaque breaches that “hide stuff”, I just don’t like them tight!

I can’t think of a better endorsement. I just bought some. I can’t see my butt, but maybe other people will want me to have breeches with these powers.

10 Likes

I found them a bit slippery, like many of the newer high-stretch fabrics. Not horrible but enough I would notice it at time. You may own less idiotic horses and that may be less of a concern.

1 Like

The Lux models are much stretchier than the Pros. If you’re not a fan of mega compression, you’d probably like them. Their Define legging also has minimal compression, even less than the Lux.

2 Likes

Nice! Thank you, that’s very helpful :blush:

1 Like

Aaannnd…I just died laughing. Also, this is true and I didn’t even realize this is why most of my breeches are Rohmfs.

10 Likes

I’m a Romfh gal, too. I vacillate between the Sarafina and Champion styles.

1 Like

They are amazing.

Can you still get the original pros anywhere?