Unlimited access >

Fine. I got influenced

They’ve been selling both versions since the 2.0 was introduced but they’re not restocking the originals as they sell out.

ETA - looks like they just have the tan ones left now, RIP to my favorite breeches: https://shopfre.com/products/pro-suede-knee-patch-breech-in-beige?variant=43366897320170

I’d be really curious to hear from someone that has both Free Ride breeches and Esprit. I have a bunch of Esprit breeches (Pro and regular tights), haven’t tried the FR because they are slightly more expensive and look very similar in design/materials.

Well, crap. Now I’ve been influenced too, thanks! A lot of sizes/colors are sold out already so if anyone else is interested in being influenced, you better jump on it.

These were my favorites too but have you tried the isabella ones? The best of both worlds!

1 Like

I love my Free Ride Lux breeches comfort-wise but I find them very slippery. The grippies on the knee patches seem purely decorative and the material of the breeches themselves is pretty slick. I hack in them but I don’t like to jump in them.
I also have a pair of the original Pro knee patch breeches with actual patches (not the silicone stuff) and I very much like them. They’re not as slick as the Lux. They’re a bit more structured and feel more like traditional breeches vs. the Lux that feel more like tights.

I’ve just ordered a pair of Equestly full seat tights. Has anyone tried them?

I do wonder if all these boutique brands are selling the same thing with different logos, though!

1 Like

I rarely wear my 2 pair of Equestly. The silicone started leaving marks on my saddle and my FRE’s are more comfortable for daily wear.

I’ve been on a buying local kick and found Botori breeches and tights are my latest favorites.

I have a few pairs of free ride breeches. I started with a pair of pro (original) and a pair of lux last summer and I liked them better than any other brand I’ve owned (mostly Kerrits and Struck). This winter I bought a pair of the winter breeches, a pair of the new pro line, and a pair of the ashley bond collab breeches. All are full seat.

My experience is that overall I like them (especially for the price point and they have good sales) and they fit really well when I first put them on, but then I find the waistband has too much give in them when I’m riding so I have to wear a belt with them which isn’t my preference. Next time I order I will size down.

I find the silicon is MORE grippy than I like, but after a few washes and wears it’s better. They also run long, so if you have shorter legs that’s something to be aware of. I have long legs and they are one of the few types of breeches that I like the length on.

The pros are the most structured material and don’t show my lumpy parts, the ashley bond tweed ones are more stretchy but the material is quite flattering. The lux breeches are more like my kerrits tights and don’t hide much but boy are they comfy.

I adore my FR riding tights. I prefer high waisted breeches and I get hot pretty easily, so they are perfect. I don’t feel like they show a lot of lumps on me, but I tend to get darker colors so that might be why. As far as grip, I never have an issue with slipping in any type of riding pants (I used to school XC in plain old workout leggings from Target with no problems) so I’m not the best judge of that. But otherwise they are so far my absolute favorites. I usually get a pair or two when I notice a sale.

1 Like

OK, I caved and bought a pair of FreeRide breeches. Y’all are such enablers!

I have a couple pairs of the FRE winter breeches. Full seats. Thicker material with good give. I don’t like super tight breeches and these are a nice balance of a snug enough fit but not too tight. My only complaint is the back is higher than the front (why???) and a belt is needed to keep them from slipping down. Especially if you keep your phone in the thigh pocket. I don’t love having to wear a belt, but pro tip on the stretchy belts - you don’t actually need to undo it to go to the bathroom. :smile:

I also have a pair of the Espirit full seats, not winter. I don’t like them at all. They slide down even with a belt. I tried to message the company and got zero help from them. A lot of people seem to love them so I’m not sure why they are so awful for me.

Also, I like the stick of the FRE better than the Espirit. Just a little bit more.

I have a bunch of romph, pikeuer, cavallo, etc and I basically never wear them anymore! I like the material but can’t go back to the fake suede seats! One of these days I may need to try the pikeuer silicone pairs.

I tried on and returned a pair of Esprit breeches. I didn’t like them nearly as much as the Free Rides. The fabric wasn’t as nice and the waist band dug in on me.

I had a pair of the winter Equestly. They were very sticky, but ran a bit small (this may have just been the thicker winter fabric) and I didn’t keep them.

The Maya Delorez are also quite nice. And a friend has and likes the Lemieux ones.

I actually wish FRE would make a pair without grip for this reason. I prefer riding in yoga pants! Even with the silicone grip, I’d rather only have knee patches. I guess they feel like all their designs have to have silicone or suede patches, because otherwise there’s nothing (besides belt loops?) to differentiate them from yoga pants. But I almost feel like that’s the point :joy: I would still buy FRE yoga pants because I like the fit and fabric so much, and then they would be more versatile for me.

1 Like

Somehow I managed to order a pair of ROMFL breeches not in my size … Would anyone else like a
pair in size 42, for the cost of shipping from Massachusetts? They are blue-gray; tag still on.

Thanks to you bunch of enablers, I rode in my first pair of Free Ride breeches today. I have to say, they’re really comfortable. They show every seam in the shirt I have tucked in, but they were great to ride in and don’t look as bad on me as leggings usually do.

I got the Lux full seats in Tweed, and the tweed really covers up dirt. You can’t even see the new iodine spot on one knee!

2 Likes

Did you get the light or dark tweed? I got the dark and find it’s more forgiving of the tucked in shirt. Plus I get lots of compliments.

Mine as well, especially the second day I wear them.
I was wondering if I had just bought the wrong size.

1 Like

Has anyone here tried Canter Culture? WIDE waistband. Heavier fabric than the esprit. Really good company. About the same price point. Fun prints and good colors.

1 Like

I got the dark tweed. I can see the seam of my shirt, but it’s very forgiving of dirt.

I just got a pair of Canter Culture to try. Talk about a high waist… I’m long-waisted to begin with and these still come up past my ribcage. I like the Esprit fabric and fit better, personally. I’m hippy and the CC are definitely cut for a straighter body.