Unlimited access >

First pair of zipper boots (yeah, I know, I’m old)

I have always had the kind of boots that one needs boot pulls. Both pair wrecked and I ordered some with zippers. They fit REALLY good which is amazing because I have a Morton’s neuroma. They are Ovation Sport Flex.

What worries me is the zippers. I have cardigan sweaters and hoodies with more substantial zippers. And these are a snug fit on boots that will be at the barn getting well, you know, barned.

Are there different types of zippers on boots? This seems like a lot of stress on the zipper area. The zippers aren’t smooth either. Kinda sticky.

Thanks for any info from the group.

I have a love/hate relationship with zippered boots. Seems we have given up durability for convenience.

My 25 year old Ariat non-zippered boots are still going mostly strong, they need a bit of help with some stitching on the backs of the ankles, but its probably worth getting it done because otherwise they look pretty darned good.

The zippered ones last a couple of years and then the zippers need replacing, but usually the boots are so trashed, because the leather is such rubbish on most mid-priced boots, that it’s not worth spending the hundred bucks or so to have them mended.

And it’s not just the zippers, but all the little leather flappy bits and press studs that go with them that fall apart, as well.

And I take pretty good care of my boots.

3 Likes

Are these paddock boots or tall ones? My Ariat zip ups have lasted 5+ yrs and they have gotten wet and full of mud, poo, etc. I just got some of the Tredstep short paddock boots- the tongue rubs my calf so that is quite annoying- this particular pair has a side zip (didn’t know that was a thing?) and laces too. They are soft and comfy but not sure they last like my Ariats. I have the Scout and Breeze paddocks.

Fellow dinosaur here. When I bought my first pair of zippered boots (they became a thing during the decades when I wasn’t riding) and they were a bit snug, I added some loops of thin ribbon through the zipper pulls. Much easier to generate the ooomph needed to zip them up and down with a longer grab strap.

2 Likes

When I returned to riding in 2006, after a 25 year break, I was just thrilled that boots with zippers existed. I have weird thick calves that cramp horribly when squeezed, as would happen when removing non-zippered boots.

There is such a thing as “zipper lube” which might help keep the zippers functional.

2 Likes

I find that zippers at the front (dressage or polo style) hold up much better than back of the calf. My Mt.Horse polo boots are falling apart around the elastic gussets but the front zips are fine. I’m replacing them with semi custom Cavallos polo boots. I also bought a pair of Celeris boots with full laces which allows some adjustability to prevent zipper stress. Exchange rates right now make it worthwhile to buy some better boots that will last and cost less in the long run.

1 Like

I had a pair of Dublins that I had zippers put in by a local leather worker. He asked me what I did in them, I told him they were for riding 2-3 horses approximately 6 times per week (at the time!) and he put in heavy-duty zippers, with reinforced edges.

So if you have a good local leather worker, saddle shop, or shoe repair shop, you might have them gusseted and reinforced. It might not look great, but I think they’ll do better.

That’s what I do too, I use a piece of twine. Much easier to pull up. I have used WD-40 on stiff, hard to zip zippers, I just use the little tube that it comes with to keep it off the leather.

Just be ready for the zippers to fail. Unless you are in a really high-end brand, they usually put plastic zippers in that will break.

I love my Mountain Horse Victoria dress boots that they don’t make anymore and I just get the zippers replaced because it’s worth the cost to me. In my area, if you can even find someone to replace the zippers, it won’t be perfect and pretty. At this point, I don’t really care because the boots themselves are comfortable and with the front/inside zipper, no one can see it in the saddle.

1 Like

Just had a conversation about the durability of zippers with a boot repair shop who does riding boot repairs/customization for tack shops all over the country. Two things I learned: the quality of the zippers does matter, but almost as importantly is the fit of the boots. In short: if your boots fit well and don’t have weird wrinkles, bulges or sags, your zippers will last longer.

Certain boot brands use better quality zippers than others. Parlanti does not use good zippers.

ETA: I was worried about the zippers breaking on my first pair of zipper boots too. It seems like the forum is littered with broken zipper stories :rofl: but they held up longer than the boots did :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. I don’t have a leather repair person but will look for one. I’m so excited these fit that o really want them to work. Just was stunned at how wimpy the zippers looked and just figured I’d ask. Cannot afford nor justify the cost of custom so I guess I will forge ahead with these and plan on a zipper replacement. Looking for zipper lube. Wondering why more tall boots don’t have front or offset zippers.

I use this zipper lube
Pharmaka Zipper Saver Spray (smartpakequine.com)

I have been wearing Ariats forever, I do spray lube on the zippers after I use them. You might look for a side zip dressage boot, there are a few front zip but are more costly.

1 Like

This is what I use, too. I’m pretty hard on my zippered boots that I wear regularly. I have the tall waterproof Ovation Moorlands and a pair of Ariat field boots. If they get sticky, it’s usually because I have a few micro grains of arena dirt stuck between the zipper teeth. A toothbrush and WD-40 solves the problem. So far.

I like the idea of adding narrow ribbon or twine to the zipper pulls. Will have to try that!

1 Like

Back at the start of the century Effingham made semi-custom boots. The shoe part where your foot goes is regular sizing. The rest is custom. I got mine at Pelham Saddlery. The store manager did the measuring and knew which options worked well. Zippers in tall boots were hard to find. The zippers couldn’t go up the seam on the back. She located them a couple of inches on the inside toward the front. They worked well and didn’t rub the saddle. About a year or so later Effingham disappeared. No notice. No refunds. No nothing.
I had to replace the zippers when one went off the track. Concord shoe repair in Massachusetts did a stellar job. He had 2 zippers to choose from. The boots were much nicer when I got them back.

I had a pair of their boots. They were fantastic but the sole ripped off the bottom after 20 years of heavy use. Just not fixable at this point. That’s what I am replacing and they are just not the same.

I still have pull-on field boots!
They’re 30+ years old and in great condition. I have only ever worn them for clinics and shows.
For everyday warm weather riding I wear paddock boots/half chaps and brush the zippers (and elastic) from the half chaps every day.
My winter boots - 7 years old - do have zippers and I always brush the dirt/sand from the zippers after every single ride.
None of my riding boots have ever been worn to go catch a horse in a paddock. If I’m riding a second horse I’ll change into my Blunnies/rubber boots to go get that horse.
I see so many people - kids and adults - go through a pair of boots a year because they just don’t take care of them.

1 Like

If it makes you feel any better, I finally retired my pull ons and bought my first pair of zipper boots this year, too.

Zipper busted open on my first ride. :woman_shrugging:

Luckily I was able to rethread it on the track and haven’t had the problem since. I think it just caught wrong.

I feel like an old fogey when I say I think pull ones were far superior. I’d rather deal with boot hooks and jacks all day than flimsy zippers.

4 Likes

I still have a pair of pulls. I don’t need them but haven’t been able to find someone who is old enough to know what they are. I can’t toss them.

1 Like

Is it possible to buy non zipper boots any more? I just looked up field boots and polo boots and didn’t see any. Even the full lace fronts had zippers, too.

If I were to go tall boot shopping again, I think that’s what I would want. What I’ve always had, were very sturdy, used for decades for daily riding and barn work. My last pair got resoled twice; the tops were still good. Just polish 'em up for wear with dresses and skirts.

@ShenanAnna, might have to go custom. I’m confident Dehner could do that. Still have my custom pull-on Dehner dress boots… That I rode in every day in high school, more than 40 years ago. Zippers are an annuity for boot makers :).

1 Like