Unlimited access >

First time buyer with a budget!

So this is my first time considering buying a horse of my own and I am having a bit of trouble. :confused: Right now I’m looking for a young warmblood hunter prospect, something no older than 4 years to anything as young as a yearling, and it does not need to be under saddle. My budget right now is 10,000, and I am finding it hard to find quality because I refuse to pay over that amount for something that isn’t even backed.
I am not TOO picky but several factors of the horse do matter to me, and I would like it to come from some proven hunter background.
At this point the stallion doesn’t matter as much to me, but these are the stallions I do really like and would love if I could have a baby from them: Escapade, Redwine, Popeye K, Balta Czar, and Aloha.
I feel like I have looked online EVERYWHERE and have come up blank, and there isn’t much around me. I’m located on the East Coast and would love if anyone could guide me to where I can find anything. Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated! :o

I hope you are aware of the shenanigans regarding Redwine and Aloha.

ETA: You might get more responses in the sport horse breeding forum.

Yes, but I have also heard that if I buy from someone else instead of their owner I may be better off ( and I can’t help that I like them!haha)
I will try reposting, thank you

Whoa Nellie, I wouldn’t go over to SHB forum with that post.
OP, it costs more than $10k to breed and raise a baby that was purpose bred for a successful hunter career. That’s why you’re not finding them. Sure, you might find something under a rock, but anyone that’s in the business if producing well bred young sport horse prospects would be taking a loss, or at best breaking even, at that price.

You might consider in-utero since you are willing to deal with a youngster…

I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but a lot of foals inutero by those sires are going for $10k. Of course, it is possible to find it.

I did a search by bloodline (testing on Redwine first) and found four on the first page that fit your price.

http://www.warmblood-sales.com/Bloodline.asp

http://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=35874&UserID=2945

I like this one just based on color. :lol:

[QUOTE=dags;7465222]
Whoa Nellie, I wouldn’t go over to SHB forum with that post.
OP, it costs more than $10k to breed and raise a baby that was purpose bred for a successful hunter career. That’s why you’re not finding them. Sure, you might find something under a rock, but anyone that’s in the business if producing well bred young sport horse prospects would be taking a loss, or at best breaking even, at that price.[/QUOTE]

Ditto to what Dags said…

Well I have actually found quite a few babies that have been in my budget, just on the other end of the country and the money I would spend to fly to see them and then trailer them back to me doesn’t seem worth it.
Like I said, they don’t have to be by those stallions, just a thought. But any kind of advice I can get I appreciate. Hopefully the SHB forum won’t tear me to shreds for asking a question???

I found mine on http://www.warmblood-sales.com/ under 10k, nice breeding, jumper prospect, had been very -lightly- started, in my Province. Unfortunately for those of us with limited budgets, we are going to have to do a lot of the work ourselves and/or budget in some training costs to get them going a bit, that’s even if we can find something with potential in our budget. I’ve been seeing a lot of posts of facebook groups these days so you should look up some different groups that sell horses in your area and areas where you could easily travel to.

I’m not sure what type of experience you have either, I try not to ever recommend a greener horse (let alone in utero) as someone’s first horse even if they can send it to a trainer for awhile. You might have to consider something less fancy but more schooled to start with. Do you have a trainer/coach that could help you find something?

Thanks, I have been looking on warmblood sales a lot recently and have found a few babies I like and contacted the owners, but they are quite a long distance from me. Unfortunately, the owners don’t always sound enthused and in this bad weather we are all having these days its hard for them to get the video and pictures I am requesting and I won’t book a plain ticket to go see a baby I haven’t even seen a video of.
I do have experience with young horses, and have a trainer with even more experience with young horses and saddle breaking them so I am not concerned.A big reason I want a young horse is so that I will be the person to teach it the basics, to me those are the most important thing about horse training. It is hard for me to want to buy a horse with mileage already when I see pictures/videos of it being ridden incorrectly(knowing the bad habits it already has). I want to be the one to make the mistakes :wink: So anyway, I DO want an untrained horse, not just because it is more cost effective.

I would buy what you LIKE and not worry so much about bloodlines because I have a feeling by narrowing to those popular (and some for good reason!) stallions’ offspring you may be missing quality horses in your price range. You may get a lot more bang for your buck if you buy the nicest horse you can find rather than the one with the most popular breeding.

What you want CAN be found in your price range, especially if you’re willing to buy unbacked. I got an A-rated quality hunter (greenbroke) who was supposed to be a dressage horse and popped out a hunter :wink: looking under those rocks is often a great way to find a bargain. No, he didn’t show on the line-- but if that’s not a big concern for you-- look outside the hunter breeding box and you might be surprised what you find. A lot of dressage stallions turn out some MIGHTY nice hunter foals.

If you have a budget and need a bargain, a three year old by a faddish stallion on your list is NOT the way to go. Anything in your range I would highly suspect is lame, crazy or involved in a messy divorce so the title is questionable. If you have a budget, shop off the beaten path.

I would look in Canada. There is a breeder up there (country lane, maybe?) who always seems to have some nice Westportes in your range. If I wanted a hunter I would seriously look at Westportes.

[QUOTE=Belmont;7465230]
I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but a lot of foals inutero by those sires are going for $10k. Of course, it is possible to find it.

I did a search by bloodline (testing on Redwine first) and found four on the first page that fit your price.

http://www.warmblood-sales.com/Bloodline.asp

http://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDetail.asp?HorseID=35874&UserID=2945

I like this one just based on color. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That foal is a COTHers and is just lovely.

Sorry, I didn’t mean “foal” I meant “young horse ready to be backed” A weanling by those sires OP can get. The linked one is indeed lovely and I meant no disparagement of any foals in this price range. Edited!

I do think that if you can go to 12,500 you can do a lot better, OP. I have seen a lot in that range I would love.

Buy on the horse not the breeding. If you don’t feel confident enough to buy off a video, then you’re going to be hard pressed to find something in that price range.

[QUOTE=casey555;7465237]
Well I have actually found quite a few babies that have been in my budget, just on the other end of the country [/QUOTE]

What end of the country are you on?

To me getting something BACKED in that price point will be the hardest part, not finding something under 10k that will be quality. The more the breeders invest into the horse, the more $$…

TBH under 10k it’s hard to find a backed quality prospect of any bloodline, TB’s included… unless we are talking off the track.

In the price range you are shopping it doesn’t make sense to be buying plane tickets to go see horses by popular sires. Instead, I’d recommend opening up your search to a wider variety of breeding. “Hunter” breeding is no guarantee of a show horse. If you have the experience to be buying a young horse, then you should know what to look for in a hunter prospect, whether it is a TB or a TB/WB cross, etc.

The other thing I have to mention is that buying youngsters and bringing them along is NOT for people on a budget unless you have your own farm and can do most of the breaking/training yourself. Paying for board and training on a youngster that may or may not turn into what you want is VERY expensive, it would be cheaper to go out and buy a horse that is further along. I would not recommend an unstarted youngster as a first purchase for anyone. I’ve been in the business a long time, and can’t think of any situations where this has worked out well.

I’m located in New Jersey, so anything on the east coast or even more towards Kentucky or Florida I would consider. But at this point I’m finding A LOT of nice babies in TX and I might just need to get over myself and take trip down there haha.

I do know what to look for and know if I’m looking at quality or something that is going to eventually look like a camel haha. But honestly, I’d like to meet the baby I’m thinking about purchasing before hand, if I get there and meet the baby and I think our personalities are totally going to clash I’m not going to buy it. I mean, unless you all think thats silly and think if I find the right baby I should pay for it and have it shipped without looking at it? Like I said, I’m a first time buyer so I appreciate the advice.
I do have quite a bit of experience with young horses and have a trainer with even more experience, I’m not concerned with that. I fully plan on doing ALL the training and breaking myself(with help of a trainer), that’s how Iv’e always wanted it. And my family owns 500 acres of land with two horse barns on it in Kentucky that I’m considering moving to. So the board and hay is not an issue for me.