Unlimited access >

First time buyer with a budget!

[QUOTE=vxf111;7466628]
There are places where it doesn’t cost $250/month to feed are care for the mare. You think those folks in Ontario with 50 acres and 20 band mare herds are paying $250/month for each mare and vet fees of $500/mare? Look in places where costs are way way lower or where the scale makes things much cheaper. Those costs you mention would be the costs in my area… but who says you have to shop in that type of area? here’s an example…

http://ewsz.com/

An operation like that is not investing $10,000 into each and every mare before the foal hits the ground. And they have some excellent bloodlines. They are clearly taking advantage of economies of scale and inexpensive land/feed/vet costs where they’re located. And they’re TRYING to jumper/dressage type horses so a hunter type might be one they’d be more willing to quickly and painlessly sell. A place like that is a good place to look for a bargain.

They have unbroke horses starting under $10,000…

http://www.ewsz.com/EWSZ/prices.asp

OP didn’t say she had to have a 2/3 year old or backed.

Someone who has a few hobby mares/foals and is boarding them in an expensive area is the wrong place for the OP to look. Someone breeding to hot hot and expensive stallions is the wrong place to look. There are no shortage of nice young horses in her budget if she knows how to turn over stones.[/QUOTE]

Yes, like I said I am NOT looking for something broke, and at this point a weanling would be perfect. I gave those list of stallions as a reference to what I liked, but I also said I was open to ANY stallion, not just those. So if you think I should look at other babies I will, although, I have found a few babies by those stallions that have fitted by budget, just have not been in my area.

Just a quick update: Thank all of you sososo much for all your advice, and thank you for the people who have pmed me horses, they’ve been wonderful.
Again, I am NOT just looking for a baby from the stallions I listed, those are the ones I like to drool over and was wondering if I could get anywhere close. If not, I’ll move on and find another baby. However, I have found a few babies in my price range from them, so it’s definitely NOT impossible.
I also do NOT want the horse I’m buying to be backed, so don’t factor that into the cost. I’d actually at this point prefer a yearling, and I don’t care who they are I refuse to pay over 10,000 for something that is a YEAR OLD, and if that doesn’t get me the top stallions, oh well.
I do have a 500 acre farm in Kentucky with two horse barns, we grow our own hay, and my father can build just about anything. So the board,hay, etc not an issue. I do want a young horse I can start on my own.

I PMed you about my yearling. He is in your budget.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7465731]
That foal is a COTHers and is just lovely.[/QUOTE]

Oh she’s a stunner for sure. You never get a bad dun!

[QUOTE=KT Farms;7487323]
I PMed you about my yearling. He is in your budget.[/QUOTE]

Note that OP is actually looking for a barefoot trimmer & free rides in central NJ so unlikely the yearling will be living on 500 acres in Kentucky.

I am moving to Kentucky in one year, just finishing up school in NJ. Please do not continue to talk about things you do not have any idea about :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=casey555;7491752]
I am moving to Kentucky in one year, just finishing up school in NJ. Please do not continue to talk about things you do not have any idea about :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry that wasn’t meant to rude, realised afterwards that it came out rather “off” so apologies once again in that regard :o

Did you find a horse?

Hello everybody, yes I think I have found the horse! But we all know everything doesn’t work out all the time, so just incase this falls through I’m still keeping my options open.
I will keep everyone updated! :slight_smile: