fitness - cardio ideas needed

I’m feeling old. I’ve been riding for thirty plus years, at times as a professional, and recently I find that while riding I get winded easily. I jumped around in a lesson yesterday and at one point I thought I was going to pass out or vomit. I had not been riding long enough or hard enough to feel this way! In the past, I have ridden five or more horses a day. This was my only horse/ride! I also find that my tolerance of heat is far less than it used to be.

Assuming this is just an unfit thing and not a medical issue ( not sure wha tit could be), I’m looking for suggestions to improve my overall fitness while riding. This episode has happened twice this season and it has me quite frustrated. Has anyone had issues like this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

If I had this experience, I would get an overall check up with blood work and a lung X-ray. Not meaning to be alarmist, but you should get some baseline before you add on extra cardio anyway. You don’t say how old you are, but we all change no matter what our activity level is.

A really simple, easy on the joints cardio addition, is using a mini trampoline. They are cheap, you can watch tv while you do it and even NASA uses them to condition astronauts

2 Likes

I am mid 50s and I do fitness walking with Leslie Sansone videos on YouTube. I also handwalk my gelding at the state park we trail ride. That being said, my boy is a Missouri Foxtrotter and has a long stride so steep hills can make me huff. If I thought it was out of my ordinary, I would definitely get checked out.

1 Like

Fast hill walking building up to jogging is the cheapest and simplest if your knees can take it. Otherwise the various aerobic dance classes are excellent if you can fit them into your schedule. Or swimming laps if you have a pool nearby.

That said, I second the idea of a checkup. That is an excessive reaction to being out of breath.

If you are clear, also incorporate longer gallop sets into your ride and practise two point a lot.

Thanks everyone. I’m 43 years old. Went to Dr. and had blood work done for thyroid issues. I also had an EKG, which I assume was normal. If thyroid is normal will see a cardiologist. I have no high risk factors, so this is weird. Rode today and it wasn’t as bad. Still super sweaty and had trouble breathing at times. I’m wondering about exercise induced asthma.

1 Like

A mini trampoline is a good idea!

I bought a skipping rope because I hate running (and all cardio really) and skipping gives you a pretty good workout in a short amount of time. I was suprised by how much my arms burnt after only 5 minutes too…

Might be allergy related, too. But since it is continuing. A check up seems like a good idea

and I love my mini trampoline. Lots of fun music workouts on you tube

This sounds like it could be low blood pressure, happens to me sometimes (though it usually hits me right when I get off the horse). When it does I focus on long, slow breaths. Drinking gatorade helps too if it’s available.

2 Likes

Yes, and could also be dehydration, or heat stroke, or low blood sugar. Was it sunny? I’d make sure to really hydrate the 12 hours before the ride, and get some bland food or fruit juice or banana right before the ride.

Low blood pressure can lead to fainting and is also made worse by dehydration. And helped by getting some salt intake too.

​Honestly pass out or vomit seems excessive to cardio exertion. I’d expect get really out of breath or hot and sweaty long before getting nauseous.

I’d look at water and blood sugar and see if maybe those two days you didn’t drink enough water or skipped lunch or something?

2 Likes

Check potassium too.

Just going to throw this out there re recovering from workouts and overall fatigue. I am 60 years old and work out like crazy just to maintain my fitness level. I’ve had to start taking a lot of supplements/vitamins to help with recovery. I now take vit e, vit d3, vit b12, vit B complex, iron, magnesium glycinate, coenzyme Q10, and a high quality multivitamin. All my life, I never took supplements but in the last 5 years I have slowly added to that pill box and I do feel better for it.

1 Like

Boy, I could have written this post. Five years ago, my horse and I were training for a Training Three day…and both of us were pretty fit. Fast forward to now–I lost him two years ago, and with work scaling up and not much chance to ride, my cardio/wind capacity is almost nil.

I’m 59, and trying to get back into shape, but nothing seems to be working. I’m doing pilates and walking, riding when I can, but my knees won’t take much more than that. I really need to figure out how to get at least some of my wind back!!

1 Like

One thing that really gets me into shape and really makes me sweat is spin, you can either take a class or if you have your own bike you can set your own pace at home. Will help with cardio.

I’ve felt that I’ve lost my step a little bit as the years have gone by. Some life changes that have helped me adapt:

1. Exercise but don’t push too hard. If I am exercising and don’t feel like I am in a rhythm, I slow down rather than trying to force myself to do what I used to be able to do. Live to fight another day. I do stay consistent with workouts and think that keeping the habit is far more important than being strenuous every time.
  2. I stretch daily even when not exercising. The stretching helps me feel relaxed both physically and mentally.
  3. I started getting IV vitamin drips after hearing about a place in my area that does them. It sounded strange at first but I really feel like I sleep better and have more energy after I get one. Near me, there are a handful of doctor’s offices that offer a special type of IV drip called a Myers’ cocktail:
    https://www.accesahealth.com/myers-cocktail-push

Definitely worth a try if you are feeling adventurous.

1. Cut out sugar and alcohol. Easy to say and hard to do! While I still enjoy myself at times on the weekends, I have become more mindful of when I am putting those things in my body.

Just my experiences :slight_smile:

1 Like

The gym didn’t work for me. I deliver junk mail. That does work as you have to keep going until you have finished. I will break it down into several days if I want.

A pilates foam mat and a DVD do wonders for your fitness even though you are lying on your back most of the time

1 Like

Swimming and/or water aerobics generally easier on the joints.

Good suggestions to follow up with your doctor. Low iron levels can also impact as your body is not as efficient in getting oxygen where it needs to go. Might be worth a double check.

Otherwise, treat yourself like a horse that needs legging up. Long and slow, start walking and slowly incorporate speed work as you feel ready. Nothing like a hill or some steps to get your heart pumping.

Pilates is the only exercise that I find translated to more riding fitness for me. I used to run and cycle and those got me better at running and cycling. Didn’t feel like they did much for the riding, especially that horrible throw up fatigue you get from sitting a big medium trot (forever) on a German horse while a German lady yells at you. To some extent riding is the only thing that REALLY gets you fit to ride, but if you go hard at the pilates you can get a good muscle shake in and it’s all t

2 Likes

I’m 45, and huffing and puffing as well. But I have fatigue issues, related to MS and FMS, plus, I am out of shape since it’s been over 25 years since I was competing. I had an EKG done and I’m all good.

To those who say you’ve had an EKG and your fine, an EKG won’t tell you squat about heart function. It can unreliably tell if you have had a heart attack or more advanced cardiomypathy but will miss a lot issues. For heart function, a transthoracic echocardiogram will tell a lot more and a tranesphogeal echo will tell the most but is usually reserved for those that have significant symptoms.

OP, you may consider seeing a pulmonologist and getting a pulmonary function test. You also may consider seeing a hormone doc as your estrogen could be high or in the toilet.

1 Like