Unlimited access >

five point breastplate necessary?

Hi, I am starting eventing this year and hoping those that use elastic five point breastplates could tell me when/why they use them over three point or all leather ones. My mare just can’t focus on anything else if her tack is bugging her. She would probably rather cut her feet off than wear splint boots, so we polo wrap. So, I’m thinking the fuzzies on the five point will be necessary. Does the elastic take time to break in? Would I be better off buying slightly used or does it tend to wear out? Thanks!

I use a five-point for only one reason - my horse needs one because he has a (ahem) unusual jump and my saddle has headed south in the past. If not for this I’d use a regular hunting breastplate. The five-point is fussy, which drives me nuts, but is necessary in my case. If you don’t have such issues, give yourself and your horse a break and go with something simpler. JMHO

I bought one and returned it - too much equipment and my reins kept getting tangled in it. I got it to keep the saddle from slipping back - ultimately just got a new saddle instead.

I would start with a regular hunting breastplate unless you normally have saddle slipping issues. You can buy fleece tubes that cover it. (You don’t absolutely HAVE to have a breastplate but I think they’re a good idea and always use one.)

Please don’t use polos on xc! You are better off with no boots at all.

Wow, you guys are fast! Maybe I will just save the cash to actually pay entry fees. Thanks!

I’m all about less is more. No, not necessary. I use a polo breastcollar bought at least 5 years ago for a whopping $35 from Horseloverz, but all the Tory leather stuff I have wear like iron (the trendy girls don’t like me, but what else is new).

Solo models in style: http://bit.ly/1vhXfaL

It’s effective, easy to clean (I just hose the elastic), & in a world where I’m starting to feel like some equine retailers are just plain insulting me when I open a catalogue to a freaking $700 jacket that is just for funsies (I mean COME ON, I get marketing & there are lots of niches, but hello, there are a lot of normal people out here who don’t poop money!! Is that really going to be your opening offer?) – affordable. I saw another on sale about a year ago & bought to have on hand if the original dies…but it shows no signs of retirement plans!

I stopped using breastplates, as I found them mostly ineffective for holding the saddle for mountain riding/conditioning & XC. I’ll occasionally use one for the primary purpose of attaching a running martingale addition.

Competing, I do it old school & put the full running martingale over the polo breastcollar. Bonus: TWO neck straps!

I have used a breastplate sometimes, not others. I honestly have never had an issue with my saddle slipping (competed up to Prelim) with or without. I use one currently when jumping just because my young horse goes in a running martingale, and it’s an easy way to add that on.
If you are just getting started you can certainly do without, and you DEFINITELY don’t “need” a five-point one!

My friend got me one for Christmas. I really like it!

It’s nice to have something to grab while I’m getting to know my new OTTB, it keeps my saddle in place, and I was able to snap my water bottle to it for our trail ride and the weight of the water bottle didn’t make it shift like it would with my traditional breastplate!

Nope, five point breastplates aren’t necessary. Some people seem to like them, others seem to like to use them because it’s the current fashion. I’ve never used one, personally, because I couldn’t justify the expense to try one out when my elastic hunting breastplate works just fine!

I feel like a lot of people using them at the lower levels are doing it more for fashion and less for use as a functional piece of tack. These people are usually the ones that automatically throw on a running martingale, figure-8 noseband, and a 3-ring gag to run around beginner novice.

Not saying they don’t have a purpose, just that the majority of event horses don’t actually need one.

I hate the 5 point breastplates. I tried it and I absolutely despise it. Tried it again and still hated it. It has way too many straps for the same purpose as one with less. I think they are faddish but that is just me. I personally like my three point with elastic, my fully elastic breastplate, and I like my polo breast collar.

You will have issues with polos on xc though as they hold water.

Also, those that have said polo wraps are a bad idea for XC are 100% correct. They sag when they get wet, and you can end in a dangerous situation really quickly.

I’ve used both 5-point and traditional hunting breastplates on my horse, and I slightly prefer the 5-point for him. I purchased it when he was having a weird growth phase (who grows a full inch when they’re 8 and have been in consistent work for 2+ years?) and have continued to use it because I ride on lots of varied terrain and big hills. His saddle does fit him pretty well–he’s just a slab-sided TB with a big, sloping shoulder. Plus, neckstrap!

I do use my hunting breastplate on the cowpony and it does a great job keeping his western saddle in place. I bought that one secondhand 11 or 12 years ago, and it’s done very well for a $10 piece of tack!

As a groom, I HATE 5 points. They take a lot of work to fit, and usually the “5th” point is it too loose to make a difference. I much prefer hunting breastplates or breastcollars. Nunn Finers are my favorite. I also love Stubben breastcollars, but they aren’t readily available in the US.

Someone once told me that you should always use a breastplate or breastcollar when you jump so that if your girth breaks over a fence, your saddle won’t fly backwards. I’m not sure how much it would actually help, though.

Some riders like to have something to grab onto, too.

I’ve been thinking about getting one for my pony, but we’ll only be doing BN this year (maybe N in the fall if we’re doing well) and I feel like the figure-eight and elevator (with two reins) is already a lot of leather on the 14.1 hand pony.

I’m eventing at preliminary and just use a hunting type breastplate with elastic inserts. I have a Five Star tack one that I got for a great price that is beautiful, but before that I had this one that is less than $75, was surprisingly nice leather and held up fantastically to practically no care.

I do not own a 5-point breastplate at all, and have no plans to get one. I rarely use a breastplate at all, except as a place to attach a running martingale.

I DEFINITELY would NOT use polo wraps if there is any mud or water. If she doesn’t interfere, and she does not like galloping boots, I would just go bare-legged at the lower levels.

You don’t need any type of breastplate at all if your saddle fits well and doesn’t slip back. I’ve evented several horses through Training level without one. If you want one, any type will do.

I use breastplates regularly for my running martingale attachment and as a place for my grab strap. I always use them for jumping as an extra safety factor against saddle slippage.

I have the Nunn Finer all leather 3 point breastplate and an HDR 5 point like this one. I was surprised at the quality of the HDR breastplate.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/elastic-breastplate-martingale?via=5338848b9fa2600f00000196%2F5338848e9fa2600f000001c5%2F5338848e9fa2600f000001cb

I prefer the 5 point because it feels to me that my Tb moves a little bit more freely in it. Whether this is because it’s all in my imagination or the fact that it has some elastic instead of just leather, I’m not sure.

Years ago I saw an advanced horse running xc with bandages on. Back then people would sew them on. Anyway one of the bandages came loose and the horse stepped on it and fell.

That is the worst case scenario with bandages. Find a type of boot your horse can wear!