Unlimited access >

Foal Patrol 2022

I always found it was a big deal in all circumstances. YMMV. :smile:

Sheā€™s not a helicopter mom is she? Hay, itā€™s about hay, no doubt to have enough to feed the little guy. Heā€™s not a quick learner, bless his heart.

She does look protective though.

Doing her best to guide him to nurse.

Ah, looks like a good nurse now. So hard to tell from a video looking down.
Ah, good, his straining has produced results.

Very nice looking colt. He continues to strain which is worrying even though it seems he is passing the meconium.

Already trying a buck and a canter, but not so great at finding the milk bar. I think heā€™ll be quite an interesting individual. Quite a handful I think. :grin:

They posted a video of him being delivered and it looked smooth.

Glad the little guy is up and happy!

Handsome dude. I peaked in a TTā€™s filly as well. Seeing the new colt emphasized how much she has grown in a month.

Theyā€™re giving him an IV. Canā€™t tell whatā€™s in the bag. Heā€™s not happy about it.

Yes, he had an IV yesterday too. Not plasma, but as you say, canā€™t tell what fluids.

Anybody think heā€™s a little contracted left hind? Based on what Iā€™ve seen in other Foal Patrol cases, Iā€™m a little surprised theyā€™re not wrapping it. Maybe just watching and waiting a little?

I like him a lot and I love the mare.

1 Like

Heā€™s imitating his dam eating hay. I hope he doesnā€™t choke. Do you think he strains a little more often than is usual?

I see what you mean about his left hind. They must be waiting it out.
He sure is an energetic little guy.

Colt looks better all the time. He had lots of fun and good exercise on turnout this morning.

I always enjoy watching how they improve their lying-down and getting-up technique in the first couple of days.

He is clearly a pistol and his mother is superb.

2 Likes

He has his own ideas already. Heā€™s going to be a handful. I love the look on the mareā€™s face when he is bouncing his rear end at her in the stall.

Todayā€™s update on Elate (due 3/13)

Elateā€™s udder development began more than a week ago, and she now displays teat distension, meaning milk has let down into the teats. The farm thinks she will likely foal this week. We will keep you posted with new information as it becomes available. For more information on some commonly observed signs of foaling, see our Season 5 Breeding/Reproduction posts.

2 Likes

Been watching Elate at night to relax (just like with the other two!) looking forward to the foal

Definitely not bashing the farm, just my own perception (they know more about foaling then I do lol) does her foaling stall seem a little small? Or is it maybe just the angle?

Sheā€™s uncomfortable now. Maybe sheā€™ll go tonight.

I do wish my circumstances would allow me to volunteer to pick stalls and groom. Theyā€™re probably short handed like everyone else.

It does look a little small for a foaling box in this day and age, but sheā€™ll have people ready to assist her when she foals, so it shouldnā€™t matter. They certainly wonā€™t be taking risks with a well bred foal such as this one.

Wow, that is a small foaling stall.

Elate was pawing
(And the feed is pausingā€¦)

This feels like bunny all over again lol

Pawing, looking at sides, tail lifting
And feed stuck on a loop