Unlimited access >

Foal Watch 2021 - 'Tis the Season!

Both boys are doing great. Little orphan is super independent and feisty, loves his igloo. I’m hoping to try turning him out with Sheza and her colt in the next week.

Foal watching round 2 is about to begin. My next two mares were bred March 8 and March 10, and aren’t imminent but progressing along. My husband also had a field day at OBS and bought 4 more mares…three pregnant and one open. The first of those was bred March 12 so she’s on the Watch List too. Her produce record (8 foals) shows she foals very consistently within a 2 day window, I expect her to go Feb 20-22.

9 Likes

Oh my goodness! No wonder you haven’t had time to update! But thank you for the extra pics; both boys look wonderful!

So sorry for your loss @EventerAJ. Great to hear he is doing well.

2 Likes

Thanks! I wasn’t planning on THIS many mares, but there were a bunch of deals to be had…and my husband loves a bargain…(but he’s not the one cleaning stalls! Lol. Never say no to a man who wants more ponies…!)

Just got in from checking the new sale mares in “quarantine” and one of them has quite big bag. I was alarmed, as she is only at 305 days, and I expected her to foal around 343ish based on 2015 and 2019 records I found in sales catalogs. However, I contacted the farm who had her in 2020 and they said she foaled at 320 last year, with no wax.

So I may be having four mares pop in the next two weeks!

2 Likes

New mare, “Could Be For Real” is 342 days and had wax this morning. Previous foaling dates show she goes very consistently at 343-346. Her bag has been huge for over a week, but mostly hard edema until last night. Milk tested 7.3 last night, and 6.8 pH this morning.

She is in foal to Khozan (Distorted Humor - Delta Princess), who is the hottest TB sire in FL currently.

3 Likes

Impressive bag!

How’s your orphan coming along?

Looking good!

Now on 48+ hours of no power here following Monday night’s ice storm. And a prediction for 2-5” of snow tonight. Ugh. Arielle is SO not amused. She lost her mind over the sound of branches breaking and crashing Monday night and broke through the gate on the end of my barn. Luckily, she only escaped into the pasture. I wasn’t going to start locking her in her stall overnight for another week or two, but I started that last night instead to be safe. She was much happier with that plan. Today it’s been the sound of chainsaws that have had her on edge all day.

Poor girl. I brought her here from Arizona in July, and it’s been constant drama and insane new experiences for her off and on for months. She’ll be 300 days on Monday and is barely fitting into her blanket at this point. I hope it warms up soon, for both our sakes!

1 Like

How exciting that her time is getting closer :slightly_smiling_face:. Sorry that you are affected by the power outages.

I would get her used to being without a blanket very soon. Pregnant mares produce a lot of heat. She is not clipped, has plenty of hay and good shelter (obviously she has that) so she’ll be fine. You want to have her used to being au natural soon, because you don’t want her in a blanket when she foals, and not in one again until her foal is weaned.

Yes she has a bag like a Holstein! No worries about milk production from her. Tested close to 6.4 pH tonight so will be watching her very closely.

Little orphan is doing great!! Thrilled with him, he is growing like a weed and is a very nice individual. Journeyman Stud that stands St Patrick’s Day came out to take photos of him to use for stallion promotion. Lee still thinks he isn’t a horse, and wonders why the other colt tries to play with him, lol, but he’ll get the hang of it soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Journeyman Stud’s interest is flattering. Did you inquire about how they would be compensating you for your photos? :yum:

Glad to hear your orphan is coming along well, and good that you are getting him socialized.
I wonder if your “Holstein” mare might take him on after she foals, perhaps for just a sip every once in a while. She looks as though she could handle two. :wink:

I am strongly considering it! Will research that now…I’m not sure how successful it is grafting a 3wk foal onto a current foaling mare, but she certainly seems to have enough milk in the tank!

Depends upon how easygoing she is, and how cheeky he is. If the two youngsters become friends first, you have a better chance at it.

She won’t hit 340 days until April 10th; we will be mostly done with blanket weather by then (I’m in TN).

I had not planned to blanket her at all this winter, but she started off the fall shivering every time the temperature dropped below 50 degrees. I have gradually pushed her blanket temperature threshold higher throughout the winter. Currently, she wears a blanket at 20 degrees and below. She’s 14 this year and lived in Phoenix from the time she was 8 months old until this past July. This transition has been tough on her in multiple ways. I’m hoping that she’ll be more resilient next winter, but we’ll see about that. I’m not going to force her to shiver just because she “should” be fine.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed for a safe foaling tonight, @EventerAJ!

good luck. :slightly_smiling_face: Just as long as you realize she can’t be blanketed when she’s foaling or while the foal is nursing. That’s the important bit.

Okay. I realize I’m crabby after being stuck in the dark eating granola bars for two days, but…seriously? I’m not an idiot, thanks, so yes, I know that a mare shouldn’t wear a blanket WHILE foaling. Is there anyone who would think that was a good idea?

And, no, I’d not put a blanket on one post foaling, either, barring some kind of serious emergency. Which is why I’ve been gradually weaning her threshold upwards all winter. But the mare is from AZ, and our low tonight will be 12 degrees. So, yes, she’s wearing a blanket.

Not my first rodeo, you know. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

You have taken offense and haven’t taken my post in the spirit which it was meant. I certainly didn’t call you an idiot.

I understood that the mare has been there since July of this year , usually enough time to acclimate, and I didn’t realize that you had experience in foaling mares. Your posts that I’ve seen didn’t make that clear at all, but I don’t claim to have seen all of them.

I’m sorry that you’ve had only granola bars for days. No reason to be so defensive though? There have been many people over the years that have lost foals due to completely avoidable management issues. I am trying to be kind. There is no reason to be so prickly.

If you are very experienced with breeding and foaling out mares, I would expect more of a conversation and less of a defensive attitude. Hope you get some lovely hot food soon.
No power is no fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

@skydy Your post was condescending. Nothing in any of my posts indicated that I’m new at this. Yours, on the other hand…

No, not all horses acclimate to a new climate before their first winter rolls around. In fact, I’ve never seen one not struggle the first winter after a major move like this. The second winter is a different story.

This is the second thread now where you have attacked me for no reason at all. I don’t know you from Adam, so I have no idea where the hostility is coming from, but I’d thank you to be less presumptive and abrasive.

6 Likes

I read it the way you did, too. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

No baby yet. Dripping milk since 9pm last night. A little bit of stall circling, just enough to warrant stating awake all night but nothing to get excited.

Milk pure white, pH 6.4. She should be foaling tonight. Fingers crossed for before midnight!

3 Likes