Unlimited access >

Foal Watch 2021 - 'Tis the Season!

Good luck, @EventerAJ!

Let us know when/if she goes (if you aren’t too tired.) Many of us are up at all hours.
I hope you don’t have one of those "I think she’s going’, “no she’s not” sort of nights.

Khozan looks nice. Half to Royal Delta!
Your mare (I looked at her page) being by West Acre, the Damsire of Songbird is fun. Best of luck. :smiley:

Her page is nothing special…but she sold for $1700 on a $7500 stud fee, and the Khozans have been running great so the yearlings/2yos are selling reasonably well. She sold with a free breeding to St Patrick’s Day; we may gwt her in foal and sell her in the fall. She is a decent mover, sweepy hunter type with good swing, so I could also breed her to my stallion for the sport market (frankly, her racing progeny haven’t shown much at the track).

Funny you mention West Acre/Songbird…we are partners on a 3yo filly by Treasure Beach, whose dam is a full sister to Ivanavinalot (dam of Songbird). We weren’t looking to buy a race prospect last year, but we liked her page for future broodmare.

Khozan’s fee is 10K now. I guessed, by your West Acre mare’s page, that your husband must have liked her type :wink: as well as the prospect of a Khozan foal.
Are you leaning toward using your stallion and forgoing the free breed to St. Patrick’s Day? Saketini really has that Bernardini look and athleticism. I’d be so tempted.

I am so sorry that you lost your Distorted Humor mare.

1 Like

It’s a colt! Nice healthy Khozan colt born at 1:20am, officially 344 days. On his feet in half an hour, nursed at 2:15. CB seems to be a great mom.

'Tis the year for stars and snips…this one also has a diamond star and white on his nose, with a tiny strip extending up the bridge of his nose. He’ll probably be darker bay than the other two.

More pics in the morning. Time for bed! I have another mare (Entice) at 348 days on camera, but her milk is still clear and runny, so I don’t think she’s ready tonight.

8 Likes

Well done! He looks good so far. Congrats! Keep us up to date when you’ve had some sleep!

From a relatively unknown person to you (that has nothing but a few photos to judge from) I’d breed her back to your stallion, rather than the freebee to New Years Day.

Because your colt by Khozan looks good, but the mare has a straight-ish shoulder, as does New Years Day I would not use him . I can see why your husband bought the mare though.

Khozan has a better shoulder than does NYsD, as does your Saketini. Of course I haven’t been able to look at your mares and their NYsD babies to really judge his get so I could be all wrong to have that concern.
Between the three I think your Saketini’s conformation, hind leg included, is superior. Two cents from someone who has no skin in the game. :+1: ETA I see now that this is a project for resale and you don’t get to keep them all. Never mind my babbling.

Hooray, congrats! Here’s to a continued healthy mom and foal!

Congratulations!

@EventerAJ are these race horses for the future or sport horses?

Major congrats on the babies!!

Sheza’s Saketini colt will be an eventer (and Bella’s upcoming Saketini foal). The others are bred to sell as race prospects; but most of our breeding decisions are made thinking, “Would I be happy to keep this one if it doesn’t make it to the sales?” :wink: I would be happy to keep a St Patrick’s Day foal!

That isn’t particularly the case with the new mares we just bought; I’m not crazy about CBFR herself or Khozan, but her purchase was purely an impulse buy for future resale. The market loves Khozan, even if I don’t.

Congratulations, @EventerAJ! You sure have a consistent foal crop this year. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you, I was just being nosey for my own interest :p. Is Saketini your stud then? I see he is AP Indy lines and I have been having a hard time finding one that isn’t closely related to my mare :eyes:

Yes, Saketini is mine. I never intended to have a stallion, thought he would be gelded and sold as a resale project when I took him on, but he is a fabulous guy. He’s my personal show horse, and turning to a pretty nice sire. Super, super nice pedigree and I’m lucky to have him! He will be collecting and shipping this season.

1 Like

He’s a handsome guy.

Here is Saketini https://www.facebook.com/SaketiniStallion/photos/a.1749931115261927/2453714201550278/?type=1&theater

@EventerAJ how are you tonight? Any of your mares ready? How is your Khozan colt getting along? Is your orphan still coming along? I hope all is well.

1 Like

Khozan colt is doing great. Blood work was good. He is pretty lax in his knees, and it was rainy all day, so we decided to leave him inside. He should go out for a little exercise tomorrow. He is cute, but my first impression is he isn’t as nice as the other two colts. Though I’ve been told this isn’t uncommon for the sire…they look better as they age.

The other two colts are very impressive. Orphan is huge, stocky, strong, and very independent. He has a really nice gallop; I know it’s early, but I think he could have some talent as a runner. I expected him to be behind for his age, physically, but that definitely isn’t the case! He eats about 8 gallons of milk replacer (a little watered down), plus about a pound of milk pellets a day.

Sheza’s Saketini colt is more leggy, a more sporty type (I like!) and also extremely well balanced. Unlike my other foals, this one is quite shy and extremely touchy. He had a minor navel infection, and vet treatment has been difficult with him. Any attempt to touch his belly, flank, or stifle causes bucking, rearing, kicking, and squealing like a pig. He is super sensitive about his face, and prone to knocking you with his head. To be fair, I didn’t spend as much time with him the first week…the orphan took all my attention and I wasn’t as hands on with Sheza’s foal like usual. I’m paying for it now! He actually leads ok, and likes to be scratched along his top line. But he has a strong survival instinct, and flips quickly into fight or flight mode. He isn’t a spooky horse though, and with time and extra attention I think he will be just fine.

2 Likes

Good news!

The expressive ones can often be good ones, don’t you think? Surely your Saketini colt will come around, as you said. He’d probably have a quirk even if you’d handled him more.The squealing is funny when they’re young. :smile: I’m unclear about which colt is in the photo.
Whichever one it is, it’s a lovely colt.

I couldn’t help but link to your Saketini, since you weren’t going to brag. Hope you don’t mind.

That’s the orphan, rearing and playing with his “mom.”

2 Likes

He’s a corker! No worries about him, right? :grin:
Has he been out with anyone yet ? Can he visit across the fence? Is he interested ?

He goes out every day with Sheza and her colt. The two foals are a bit leery of each other still, but they’ll be friends soon enough. Sheza won’t let him in her space, but otherwise she doesn’t care that he is in the paddock with them.

1 Like