Unlimited access >

Foal Watch 2021 - 'Tis the Season!

Yay @EventerAJ!! Glad everything is going well and mare #3 foaled successfully. That leaves 3 to go, yes?

Lol…would have been 3 to go, except for the extra ones my husband bought…now 5 to go. Two at 347 & 349 days, one at 319 (rumored to go early), and two due end of April.

I took some more pics this morning.
Khozan colt

Saketini colt

7 Likes

Yikes! Ok, I can’t count. But what handsome little men. Sheza has a priceless mom expression on her face !

1 Like

5 more to go! You’re going to need a vacation after this foaling season. Should we take bets on whether @EventerAJ ends up with eight bay colts this year? :joy:

1 Like

How are your youngsters coming along @EventerAJ?

@EventerAJ, you might as well start a blog or update page for you guys’ fan club! :laughing:

@JBCool @skydy foals are doing well. Khozan colt is a handful, runs and plays constantly in the stall and out. He’s still pretty knock kneed, so only going out 2-3hrs twice a day to be safe.

Sheza and the colts will be moving to a large paddock in the next couple days and can stay outside overnight. Hard to believe they are a month old already!

Still waiting on Entice (354) and Bella (352d). Entice is huge, top line sagging, belly dropped, super soft behind, udder pretty full, looking ready. But her milk is still clear and pH in the 8 range. Bella is a maiden, so not sure how low her belly will go, and her hind end is soft. Her bag is filling, but “petite.” Her milk is starting to change, slightly cloudy lemonade and pH in the 7s. Really wanting February foals from these girls, they need to hurry up!

Then there’s a new mare, Ultimate Class, at 324. Her udder is very large, but minimal softening. Records show she has foaled at 345 before, but she may have gone earlier than that last year.

1 Like

That’s what this thread is for. :smiley:

I am pretty much locked down, so have to get my cheap thrills where I can.
TB mare and foal pics are a very cheerful diversion. I do understand that some people are busy though, and appreciate the time taken.

2 Likes

Yes, we so appreciate you taking the time to indulge us, EventerAJ!

Bella has wax this afternoon! And I think her belly looks a little lower, too. Entice continues to look 100% ready in every way, except her milk is completely clear and runny.

Full moon, warm night (61), hopefully the girls get busy!

3 Likes

No new foals. Bella had heavy wax at 3am, and was pawing, up and down all night. Has real milk now. Entice started rubbing her tail at 1:30am, and was mildly restless with her tail up all night. Runny white milk, no wax yet.

Both mares are outside, walking the paddock and acting uncomfortable. Hurry up and get it over with!

2 Likes

Love all the updates! Helping me be patient until my first foal out of my heart horse arrives this spring :slight_smile: Her 320 day is March 21st. No clue when she will actually go since she is a maiden.

6pm. Bella has been dripping milk off and on all day. Entice has a rare drip now and then. Both of them test a 25 “good” with colostrum refractometer. They both wanted in today at 11am and are mildly uncomfortable. Bella has been increasingly agitated since dinner; she ate all her grain but isn’t interested in hay.

Let’s hope we get this done before midnight!

2 Likes

Foals have arrived! After a very restless evening, Bella had a nice little Saketini filly at 10:30pm. Just after she stood and nursed, Entice went down and had a huge colt by St Patrick’s Day. Colt was very floppy and slow to stand, with big long wobbly legs. And wouldn’t you know, he’s bay with a star and snip! I could almost have a matching four in hand team with this year’s colts!

The filly is extremely leggy as well, but very refined like her mother. And because she’s a girl, figured out walking and nursing much faster than the colt! Bella is doing great as a first time mom.

Better pics tomorrow. I’m just glad I can sleep now. Next mare, Ultimate Class is 327 days and probably a week out at least…but you never know!

8 Likes

Yay! How nice of them to foal close together so at least you can get a little sleep.

Is the filly also bay with a star? Looks like your color scheme for the year continues, even if she broke the colt streak.

Filly is dark bay with a tiny moon shaped star. No snip, no socks. She is pretty petite, which is best for a maiden I suppose.

Entice’s colt is absolutely huge. This morning he is already plumped out, and close to the current size and weight of the Khozan colt born last week. :open_mouth:

9 Likes

Congratulations! Glad to hear that Bella is taking to motherhood.

I look forward to more photos of all your foals, after you’ve had some down time and caught up on all the work involved. :blush:

Took a lot of photos when they went out this evening. Bella looked stunning in the setting sun, and posed for some amazing pics.

13 Likes

I still can’t get over how big Entice’s colt is. The vet said it’s the largest non-draft foal she’s ever seen (and she breeds DWBs). He seems to be quiet and laid back so far.

10 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like