Unlimited access >

For fun...leading/ponying multiple horses

Yes, I am aware it’s not the safest. I am aware it’s not proper horsemanship. But, I’ll confess, I’m not making three separate trips up the giant hill from my pasture two times per day :rofl:!

Until recently, I just had my two here, and I taught both of them to pony off the tractor. They both walk quietly behind me. Now I have three here, third horse is also totally fine ponying off the tractor. Just haven’t figured out how to pony all three at once…not sure if I can handle that many lead ropes at one time. So, have taken to just walking them all up the hill together. One trip beats three!

They all get along, they’re all well-trained solid citizens, so no worries there. But, the OTTB walks like he’s on a mission, the WB walks like a sloth, and the QH walks at a normal pace. Doable though, and again, beats three trips when it’s in the single digits!

Who else has gotten creative? What’s your technique?

When I had three, I just led the one that the other two would follow. Sometimes one would lag or run ahead, but they always ended up at the barn with the leader.

1 Like

Haha that’s a good idea! My slow poke is the herd leader, but I was actually thinking about leading the other two and letting her just follow since she takes her sweet time.

Short answer, like a pack string, tie one to the other using a short rope.

Long answer:

Many years ago I rode with a man who was a former Cavalry Officer --he’d been in his late teens when he joined the military prior to WWII --might have been as early as 1930s. He rode cavalry horses at Ft. Leavenworth KS under the command of old time cavalry officers and instructors. Ultimately he was a tank commander in WWII (under Patton), and became the director of horsemanship at a military academy where there were 135 horses --I believe it was the last bastion of horse mounted cavalry.

The stable when he ran it was “old school” cavalry --135 tie stalls, horses brought in, each tied for the night in his/her stall, taken out the next day by cadets, ridden 2 h in the AM and 2 h in the PM and given time to graze in hand (again by the cadets) for two hours. On school holidays, the horses were turned out into the 500 acre pasture.

I asked your question --how did the 5 full time hired stablemen move the horses down the paved road to the pasture –

It was the “cavalry way” --found out that only rarely did the cavalry fight from horseback (horses were too valuable for moving soldiers quickly from place to place) --instead, every 5 horses connected together (short strap, one bridle/halter --under chin to cheek ring) to the horse beside it as the soldiers dismounted. The 5th man led the 4 tied together horses behind the firing line and waited until ordered back to pick up the first 4men. . .

Yes there were sabre charges and cavalry charges, but according to my friend, these were last ditch efforts because the horses would die in the effort going against guns and sabers of the enemy. .

When my kid played polo, I watched the grooms in the AM exercise up to 10 horses at a time, all attached the same way --groom rode on horse, and all the others were “daisy chained” halter to halter, under chin ring to cheek ring. It was fun to watch as the polo grooms would walk and trot their horses around the track .

2 Likes

Back in my Ohio days I boarded at a place that had one large pasture across a good size stream. It was where the group turnout went, including my TB. Staff person would climb on smallest, and pony the other 3 from there, across the stream to paddock. Then staff would hop stones to get back. When time to come in, hop stones, climb on smallest and pony the rest. The only drawback was that my dear TB would ALWAYS stop to get a drink…

1 Like

Decades ago, our riding center would rent school horses for movie sets.
Those were the times of the spaghetti westerns.
The instructor would tell a groom or two and myself to take horses across the city to the movie grounds and we would ride one and pony several on each side, tied as described, one we led, the others attached to it, up to three on each side.
We returned in the city bus.

Some times we went back in the evenings to bring horses back
If they needed them regularly they may keep them for several days.
Movie sets had their own wranglers that cared for the horses while there.

OP, you could train your horses to be ponied like that for exercise and then adapt that to every day turnout and bringing them in.

I worked at one barn that had a 20 acre field for the broodmares and a couple retired geldings. They had trained them to come running to the gate when they whistled. Since I couldn’t whistle (still can’t), I would walk to wherever they were, hop on the smallest mare and ride her up, everyone else would follow.

Once in a blue moon all three of our horses will be at my parents farm (usually at least one is boarded closer to where I live). My mom took to leading my gelding and letting either of the other two follow. She learned very quickly that he wasn’t allowed to be loose, he likes to either lag behind or trot ahead to get into trouble. She made me replace all of her nice planters after he sampled them :sweat_smile: oops

I used to ride at a place where some of the pastures were a good half mile from the barn. I would go down with my helmet and bridle, a halter and lead rope, and ride one back up bareback while ponying another. I never tried to pony two, though.

My mom uses her golf cart to lead her drafts from pasture to pasture. No halters needed. Just chuck some tasty hay in back, let horses get a good sniff and drive off.

3 Likes

I boarded at a barn in Wellington next door to a polo barn. My horse nearly lost his marbles the first time he saw the grooms exercising the ponies. The groom was on the center horse, and he had 4 in his right hand and 4 in his left hand. They were all cantering along pleasant as can be.

1 Like

At one time I had very pokey TB mare who dragged along like every day was a death march, and my current Irish gelding who is all about the power walking. I just put them in the same hand, he dragged her and she held him back, I just walked in the middle.

I do four at a time here, to save time, especially when I need to get the horses out and fed before heading to work. The four are a 20 month old baby warmblood, a 26 year old ISH, and two TB’s, aged 6 and 10. My tactic is that the ones most likely to cause chaos go next to me, and the more reliable ones go on the outside. The benevolent dictator of an ISH goes on the baby’s side, and we manage to keep him in line. The two TB’s go on the other, and can generally be relied on to behave. I stick to the same routine each day as far as letting off leads and catching, so that they all know the expectation. Despite age, size and energy levels, they’re all very good about it! If they’re as high as kites when its time to come in, then they go in pairs instead of all together.

1 Like

I’m laughing imagining my terror, pedal to the medal in a rickety old mule that doesn’t run right, with draft horses galloping on my tail trying to get a mouthful of hay. I’d be screaming like the sissy I am.

3 Likes

You accurately capture the scene.

It’s comical. The golf cart doesn’t move very fast and the drafts don’t either. It’s a slow motion stampede. In cooler weather the drafts might even gallop and buck. Those butterballs are mighty impressive with their tails over their ears.

My mom uses it to exercise them a bit too. I’m never quite sure if she’s leading them or if she’s running away from them.

In truth though it’s been a real life saver. The fence was compromised during Hurricane Sally resulting in draft horses taking a neighborhood walk a bout. My folks dashed out in golf cart when they realized horses were out. Once the horses sighted the golf cart they came blazing over like, save us we’re lost and starving!!!

5 Likes

@lenapesadie That is hysterical!!!

@joiedevie99 I still cannot fathom how coordinated a person would have to be to be able to ride one while ponying FOUR ON EACH SIDE. I would certainly lose all 8 horses, or fall off the one I was riding trying to hang to them. Either way, it would not end well :rofl:

@2tempe That is crazy that that was the every day routine for turn out! Did they ever build a bridge or make it easier on the staff?

@furlong47 I boarded somewhere years ago that had a similar set up, horses were rotated to a different 10 acre pasture weekly, and some of those pastures were a good mile from the barn. We’d either pony them off a four wheeler, or ride them back. Don’t miss that set up, but the horses sure loved it!

1 Like

When I was a kid I used to ride one bareback and then pony 7 or 8. The fields were so muddy and I was not making multiple trips!

Back when I had more horses than I do now, I’d lead them where ever at the same time. I didn’t bother with attaching one horse to another, when on foot. Just held all the lead ropes – those of horses on my left side in my left hand, those of horses on my right side in my right hand. Saved a lot of time when loading into a trailer, too, to lead them all over at once, then have them self-load one at a time, each with the lead rope thrown over the back.

As mentioned above, the trick is selecting the relative positions of the horses, based on their personalities, herd standing, and speed.

1 Like

When I was a kid, I rode with a (questionable western/backyard) trainer whose 5 horses I regularly turned out/brought in by riding one and leading two on either side. 4 were geldings, and one was a mare. I rode the most steady one and put the two troublemakers right next to me. They were all very well behaved though and only once gave me trouble - and it was the pony (troublemaker #1) who I mistakenly put on the outside and he beelined for the grass…

How did you keep track of that many lead ropes?! Impressive!!! I can’t even fathom trying to ride one and pony two!

I’d have 3 or 4 in each hand and then the one I was riding, I’d just steer with my legs. These were quiet horses that were used to it and knew better than to cause any nonsense.