Unlimited access >

Forum Demographic Survey Results!

[QUOTE=msj;3734943]
War Admiral, that’s because us old foggies grew up on TB’s and really don’t know anything else! :lol: Some of us have tried other breeds, like QH or dumbbloods, but end up going back to our OTTB’s![/QUOTE]

Well, this is obviously true - but I think if one took it at face value it sure would send an interesting signal to the young trainers out there: if you want to capture that lucrative Older A/O market, 66% of them WANT TBs, so you better cancel that trip to Europe and head for Beulah Park or (better yet) Lexington! :lol::yes:

[QUOTE=War Admiral;3735271]
Well, this is obviously true - but I think if one took it at face value it sure would send an interesting signal to the young trainers out there: if you want to capture that lucrative Older A/O market, 66% of them WANT TBs, so you better cancel that trip to Europe and head for Beulah Park or (better yet) Lexington! :lol::yes:[/QUOTE]

Ah War Admiral but the key phrase is that us old foggies “GREW UP” on TB’s. We rode out the bucks and shies and twists and turns and all the other good stuff a TB can do when we were YOUNGER and braver and BOUNCED!! :lol: Hence, we are used to that kind of stuff! :yes: Some the old foggies that are entering the A/O market may not have ‘grown up’ riding at all and are just starting out. Therefore they NEED a more settled breed like a QH or Dumbblood.

Although I will admit when I bought my current OTTB and eventer, I described him as 7 (yrs old) going on 20 (yrs old) because he was such a laid back guy. He does have a shy and spin in him, it’s just in slow motion. And if you hit him with a whip and he doesn’t think he deserves it, he will lift his hindquarters a little off the ground. He’s way too lazy to do much more. Heck, the story that came with him was the trainer at the track told the owners to “take him home cause he really doesn’t like it.” I’m still trying to figure out how he actually won 4 races! :eek:

Again laziness wins out when it comes to jumping him as well. He’s literally a point and shoot jumper. If it’s in front of him he will jump it! One lesson I was taking my trainer had an in and out set up but only the first element with an X to start out. I was letting him drift a bit and the 3rd time thru he jumped the standard of ‘out element’. The standard was 4’ high and 4" wide!!! :eek: :eek: If he’s not a packer, then he’s the next best thing! :smiley:

I was wondering where Ohio was, also. Maybe it was a typo that Ohio was left out?

[QUOTE=DairyQueen2049;3734825]
Lost Farmer and Frank.

One of y’all did not fill out the survey. :eek::yes:[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget Thomas 1 and all those darned farriers… :winkgrin:

[QUOTE=findeight;3734341]
What happened to Ohio on the states list? Did I miss it or were we slighted?[/QUOTE]

Ya!!! I responded too. I guess they ignored us.

According to the survey, I am completely average!

These stats are WAY off…because when I filled out the survey, I didn’t own a trailer. Now I DO!! :smiley: Yea!

[QUOTE=DMK;3735268]
If you mean Lucassb, I imagine she will be quite surprised to hear about her new gender assignment!![/QUOTE]

Not to mention how surprised my husband would be, LOL!!! YIKES!!

[QUOTE=Andrew;3734633]
My oh My there sure is a lot of estrogen on here 96% LOL!!!

Lucas, Andrew, Rob, who’s the 4th male on here???[/QUOTE]

Not to mention how surprised my husband would be, LOL! YIKES!

I was surprised at the mean # of horses being 3-4. If that’s the mean then a lot of people must own more. What do you do with that many horses? I don’t have time for my one (two if you count Mr KC’s).

[QUOTE=War Admiral;3733952]
I think the stat that fascinates me the most is Boomers w/ TBs!!! 66% of those who have ridden for 20+ years own TBs - topping the breed table by 6%!!! That’s pretty awesome. :yes:[/QUOTE]

You are misreading this statistic… 66% of COTHers own TBs, not 66% of COTHers who have been riding for more than 20 years own TBs…

spend every bit of that 136K median income on them! :lol:

I only have 2 right now and maybe it was just 1 when the survey was out. But when I was briefly (less than a year) down to 1 horse, I know it was the first time in 26 years I had only owned 1 horse. And only 2 is strange too. I’ve had between 3 and 5 for about 25 of those 26 years. But it’s usually been some assortment of an oldster, a close to retired horse and a green horse.

We have a fair number of breeders on the board, don’t forget. :yes:

I feel exceedingly average now in a shockingly high number of those categories.:eek:

It is time to step away from the internets…go back to the real world.

Just sent a note to Rob re: the MIA Buckeyes–will report back ASAP with news on Ohio!

Probably a typo/lost during a cut-and-paste.

Thanks for the heads up!
Mod 1

Another Ohioan…

I took the survey too! I did notice there were two MA (I think that’s what it was) so I’m sure it was a typo…

I am a male and I live in Ohio. I feel totally left out even though I took the survey. I think I need a support group!

Moesha, RobbyJohnson, The Winglet, Sea Urchin/SwedishOxer/et al

I’m confused by this one:

48% keep their own horses
62% board elsewhere

That’s my kind of math. :lol:

Wings…totally do-able.

I know several people who keep their own farm, and horses, but board one horse at a trainers for the facility, or for convenience.

I dream of the year I can afford to board at a barn w/ an indoor for winter…but I’d still have the rest of the horses at home.

:confused: little judgmental are we? We have quite a few posters living on the East and West coasts and there are quite a few making that, especially in a double income family. I am sure they are quite happy with their lives and choices.

And, no, I don’t have that kind of income either.

I am still waiting to hear why Ohio did not make the listed states. I feel slighted…and I did fill it out and receive comfirmation.

[QUOTE=Tha Ridge;3735652]
You are misreading this statistic… 66% of COTHers own TBs, not 66% of COTHers who have been riding for more than 20 years own TBs…[/QUOTE]

I said “IF you took it at face value…”

Either someone’s not reading for comprehension or someone REALLY isn’t willing to give up that all expenses paid European holiday without a fight! :lol: