Unlimited access >

Forum Demographic Survey Results!

[QUOTE=findeight;3736322]
:confused: little judgmental are we? We have quite a few posters living on the East and West coasts and there are quite a few making that, especially in a double income family. I am sure they are quite happy with their lives and choices. [/QUOTE]

Thank you findeight. I’d be one of those families bringing that average up- but I certainly don’t feel rich or act that way, nor do I have a crap load of disposable income. I also don’t own a horse $40+K. As a matter of fact- being that my herd is mostly rescues or throw away horses, while to me they are priceless- to the market they are probably worthless.

Where a person lives and who they support makes a bit of difference in how they pay out their bills. Sure people can choose where they live and thusly reduce that living expenses but maybe doing so compromises the happiness of their job, or career advancement, or being close to relatives, or a hobby or secondary business that may enhance their life, etc etc etc.

My living expenses of a month probably blow our your yearly living expenses but how is that a benchmark to guage your happiness to mine?

Anyway- to the survey results I thought it was very interesting.

96% of the posters being female and 4% being male does not mean there are only 4 men on the board— unless only 100 people responded to the survey. LOL. Were y’all the curve on the SATs?! :wink:

[QUOTE=Everythingbutwings;3736201]
Moesha, RobbyJohnson, The Winglet, Sea Urchin/SwedishOxer/et al

I’m confused by this one:

48% keep their own horses
62% board elsewhere

That’s my kind of math. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I love this too. Though the practical side of me says that those statistics might reflect posters who have multiple horses and keep some at home while boarding others.

[QUOTE=Janet;3734969]
snoopy
RAyers[/QUOTE]

Snoopy’s a guy!?! No wonder he stays anonymous!! :lol: I would too on a board this full of women!!! (I can’t remember the single stats though
hehehe)

ETA: Denny’s on here too

2500 folks did the survey - that makes 100 with dangly bits!

[QUOTE=Equibrit;3737136]
2500 folks did the survey - that makes 100 with dangly bits![/QUOTE]

I was like “what sort of bit is a dangly bit? some sort of snaffle?” then I got it!

[QUOTE=jn4jenny;3734424]
Well, I’d be curious to hear the median and standard variation on that statistic. Since only 44% of posters had incomes 44% and above, it’s possible that a very small slice of VERY rich people pushed the number up to that mark.

I would also be VERY curious to know if more money = more horses. Somehow I doubt it.

OTOH, if the rest of y’all really do make that much, I sure hope I join your ranks someday![/QUOTE]

Yep
I’m sure the median income would be lower (but probably still healthy)!

More interesting stat for # of horses would probably be mode. I would guess sample might be somewhat multi-modal. The mode is probably 1
but there may be another number that also has a fairly high frequency. So, really, the distribution would probably be most interesting.

Averages can be very misleading! Just a couple of big numbers pulls an average up a lot! But if the idea is to attract certain kinds of advertisers, a fluffed-up average income is what you want. If you really want to understand the population, you would probably look at the median.

Thanks for sharing the info, COTH! Fun stuff!

If you look at the USEF members info, the average income is over 100K. I don’t think that just a few ubber rich people drove that number up. I’d say it’s probably pretty accurate.

Oh stop with the higher math. What, you think the men are adjumacated?

(as she waits for RAyers to go ballistic)

Meanwhile I’ll try and teach Tidy about the Python. You’d think as a rabbit she’d be a bit more in tune with Pythons, grails, killer rabbits and montys, full or otherwise.

[QUOTE=WaningMoon;3735061]
Wow, absolutely shocking. I sure am not anywhere near avg in anything I guess. Having income of less than $10,000 I surely can’t imagine owning a $40,000 horse or much else listed. I wonder how many ppl are truly happy and how many are satisfied with how they’ve lived their lives. And I’d love to know what % of their income ppl give to those less fortunate. I know I love to give and it is very important to me to do so. Wow, I just can’t get a grasp on these statistics. IN my area there is not anywhere near that amount of ppl making over $100,000, wow, just wow.[/QUOTE]

Here on the urban west coast, $100k is just enough to buy a median house, two modest cars (one for each wage earner), and either health insurance OR day care, with no savings. Housing especially is very very expensive here, particularly if you weren’t lucky enough to buy property 30 years ago. Also, it’s typically from two income earners.

Someone making $50k in North Dakota most likely has more disposable income than someone making $100k in California, even before the outrageously high cost of horsekeeping out here is factored in.

In Los Angeles, you’d have to do a lot of careful budgeting to keep a horse for only $10k a year, for example. Mindboggling but true.

New Mexico

New Mexico is #8 on the list with 115 respondants. Tied with New York!!! That is pretty amazing when you compare the total population in each of those states. Although I’m sure the number of horses per person in New Mexico is pretty high compared to other states. It’s hard to find a person who doesn’t own a horse/pony/long ears here. :yes: I’m just surprised to see how many New Mexicans own computers. :wink:

[QUOTE=jn4jenny;3734424]

I would also be VERY curious to know if more money = more horses. Somehow I doubt it.

![/QUOTE]

Oh, I can tell you from 1st hand experience, more horses = LESS money
:lol::lol::lol:

[QUOTE=DMK;3738358]

Meanwhile I’ll try and teach Tidy about the Python. You’d think as a rabbit she’d be a bit more in tune with Pythons, grails, killer rabbits and montys, full or otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Haha! I didn’t know that was a python reference. Guess I am over due for a Python movie-thon.

Some of my favorite lines

“bring out your dead
really, i’m feeling much better now”

“you know, the killer bunny with the fangs”

“answer me these questions three”

“WHAT is your favorite color? - Green. NO Blue. Whaaaa!”

“oh dear, another baby. would you pick that up?”

“is that an African swallow or a European swallow?”

it’s probably not a grail reference, but just your run of the mill python reference. :wink:

Still, rabbits should be up on all things python, don’t you think? :smiley:

Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberry (or vice versa - I can never remember!)

and it’s just a flesh wound!

[QUOTE=findeight;3736322]
:confused: little judgmental are we? We have quite a few posters living on the East and West coasts and there are quite a few making that, especially in a double income family. I am sure they are quite happy with their lives and choices.

And, no, I don’t have that kind of income either.

I am still waiting to hear why Ohio did not make the listed states. I feel slighted
and I did fill it out and receive comfirmation.[/QUOTE]

Yup
VA and CA top the list for voters. My step daughter lives in Richmond where (pre market crash anyway) 400K would get them a tiny rancher on a postage stamp sized lot so though she has a good job and hubby works too as a teacher all they could afford with good jobs was a tiny condo in a nice neighborhood for 200K. Many places in CA are even more expensive
so what 136K income will get you in the midwest and around San Francisco, Los Angeles or Washington DC are not at all close.
When I graduated from college I was offered jobs in PA and West VA for the same 30K salary. Believe me
30K went a lot furhter in West VA! Boyfriend lived in PA though

Robert Banner

OH sent 77 surveys. SO sorry to all you Buckeyes. Please accept my apologies. 77 is right up there, but since OH has one of the highest horse populations in the nation, should it have been higher?

I love reading all the comments on this, our first ever BB survey results. Sure, there are things we would have done differently, but this give us plenty of food for thought as we move forward. We did a random survey for the print subscribers at the same time and have been comparing the print subscribers to forum members. I know it’s hard to compare considering the different methodology (thanks for identifying the difference Furlong47 
 you’re exactly right), but it’s also hard to resist. What we find is that the two groups are very similar in most ways, yet very different in others. Wanna guess which ones? As we get more sophisticated, we will refine the online survey technique. Then we can compare apples to apples.

Here’s a news flash 
 We have just hired a New Media Director with a strong experience at AOL to manage all our web properties. Starting before the year end, the NMD will look hard at everything we do to insure we offer a state of the art experience that will be a strong platform to take us into the future. Don’t look for significant changes right away, but soon, your experience on all of our sites will become far more robust. We’ll focus on the things that need change. If things are working well, we’ll leave them alone.

Look for expanded content (all free,) more interactive opportunities, improved search function, and a host of improvements that are designed to give you what you want most, when you want it most.

More on that later. For the time being, if you are one of the 77 from OH, please accept my sincere apology!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[QUOTE=camohn;3740475]
so what 136K income will get you in the midwest and around San Francisco,[/QUOTE]

I can tell you! In San Jose CA, a tiny apartment and 1 horse boarded with full training for 2K a month. Some horse showing and not much else.

In Ohio, 18 acres, 4 horses, & a much better access to a higher level of horse showing! Even if I had millions I wouldn’t go back to Cali. Just to expensive and there’s no grass to be had unless you’re a billionaire family whose last name starts with a “B” who irrigates lots of pasture.

[QUOTE=Robert Banner;3740634]
OH sent 77 surveys. SO sorry to all you Buckeyes. Please accept my apologies. 77 is right up there, but since OH has one of the highest horse populations in the nation, should it have been higher?

I love reading all the comments on this, our first ever BB survey results. Sure, there are things we would have done differently, but this give us plenty of food for thought as we move forward. We did a random survey for the print subscribers at the same time and have been comparing the print subscribers to forum members. I know it’s hard to compare considering the different methodology (thanks for identifying the difference Furlong47 
 you’re exactly right), but it’s also hard to resist. What we find is that the two groups are very similar in most ways, yet very different in others. Wanna guess which ones? As we get more sophisticated, we will refine the online survey technique. Then we can compare apples to apples.

Here’s a news flash 
 We have just hired a New Media Director with a strong experience at AOL to manage all our web properties. Starting before the year end, the NMD will look hard at everything we do to insure we offer a state of the art experience that will be a strong platform to take us into the future. Don’t look for significant changes right away, but soon, your experience on all of our sites will become far more robust. We’ll focus on the things that need change. If things are working well, we’ll leave them alone.

Look for expanded content (all free,) more interactive opportunities, improved search function, and a host of improvements that are designed to give you what you want most, when you want it most.

More on that later. For the time being, if you are one of the 77 from OH, please accept my sincere apology![/QUOTE]

All sounds good. I’ve been debating a COTH membership for a couple years now. Problem is I’m one of those dumb consumers that need everything handed to them- like a list of what makes subscribing a good idea.:D:D:D