Unlimited access >

Found cat in road

Hi all. SO and I were driving to visit MIL in upstate NY. About five minutes from her house we saw what we thought was a possum in the road. Would not budge and looks hurt. Turns out it’s a small adolescent cat. It’s low 20s out here, SO thinks I’m insane for insisting on catching her to bring to vet. S/he did not want to be caught but I trapped her under my jacket and secured her in the car. Called MIL and she brought out a kitty carrier. We are at Valley Vet in Unadilla now, they have taken her in for X-rays and treatment. Could use some jingles for this sweet kitty, she was very docile albeit terrified for examination. Her hind end is stiff and she was sidewinding when she tried to run away. Tomorrow I’ll call the local vets and see if anyone is missing a cat.

41 Likes

Awww. Jingles for the poor little one!

1 Like

Jingles for that poor pretty kitty. And thank you!

1 Like

Poor baby!! All the jingles for her!

I hope her injuries aren’t too bad and she’s able to recover and find a home.

Thank you for stopping to help her. :clap:

1 Like

Thank you for stopping and getting her to a vet. Jingles for the adorable kitty.

2 Likes

Thank you all. I’m a mess and angry someone could drive by this kitty and not stop. I had to use my jacket to trap her, and I think the cold got to me since we were out in the corn field for about ten minutes trying to catch her.

We just left the ER. She is staying overnight. Hopefully they can stabilize her and she will perk up in the morning.

Vets confirmed she is female and — best of all — no kittens on X-ray. They agree she appears to be a stray. No broken bones or spinal fractures that they could see. They are pulling blood for parvo and FeL, and watching overnight.

SO and I didn’t see her get hit by a car, and she thankfully doesn’t have road rash or obvious cuts/injuries. But her right hind is stiff as a board and she doesn’t seem to want to walk. Hoping she pulls through tonight and that tomorrow is feeling much better. The poor thing - she was huddled smack in the middle of the road and shivering so violently when I finally could pick her up.

21 Likes

Poor little poppet. I hope she makes it!

2 Likes

So glad you stopped to help her. Hope she comes around with some treatment and supportive care.

My family rehabbed a cat that was going to be euthanized by AC. I’ll skip the background story but the young cat was unable to use his hind legs. There were no fractures or obvious injuries so we provided supportive care and cleaning duties… Slowly he regained function and lived a long life. He was christened “Splat Cat” by our vet as we assumed he’d been sideswiped by a car. There must have been swelling along his spinal cord that as it reduced, allowed him to regain mobility. Fingers crossed for this one too.

7 Likes

Jingles for her. She looks like a beautiful cat.

2 Likes

She is so pretty. I hope she’s better tomorrow and she makes a full recovery. Thanks for helping her. She’s lucky that you found her. :heart:

1 Like

That’s really tough. Poor baby cat. Thanks for stopping. Even if she succumbs, she wasn’t alone and people were kind to her. Here’s hoping she feels better today and is ready to start her new life. Maybe your MIL wants a kitty? It’s her carrier, so by all rights, it’s her cat. :rofl:

3 Likes

Poor baby. Did the vet consider giving her Dex? Is that something you can do with cats? I know that is what my vet would do for a horse with such trauma to reduce the pressure but it has to be done in the first few days to work I think.

Bless you for saving kitty!

1 Like

Thank you so much for doing this.

1 Like

So glad you found her, there’s no telling what could have happened to her if you hadn’t seen her. She’s close to the age of your other babies isn’t she? Maybe you’ll find room for one more?

Hope you didn’t get too much of a chill and got yourself warmed up quickly!

2 Likes

I am so glad you found her! Poor thing. She is Awfully, Awfully Cute. I hope she is doing well today. And you have warmed back up!
(Side note, how come I never find a cat…I bet I could convince everyone else in the house to keep another cat if I found it…)

1 Like

Thank you all. Just got a call from the vet advising euthanasia. Poor kitty took a sharp decline for the worse overnight and is no longer stable. I made the confirmation to have her put to sleep. :cry:

22 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry. You at least gave the sweet girl a dignified end, not scared outside, freezing. You did good.

6 Likes

I’m sorry. She was a lovely kitty. She was warm and cared for at the end.

1 Like

I’m so sorry.

She didn’t die alone and cold.

3 Likes

@beowulf , So sorry to read your update.
But you gave her a softer end than if left on the road & the best shot at making it.

I always stop to move cats hit & killed to the side of the road. I wouldn’t want to find my pet run over repeatedly.

6 Likes