Unlimited access >

Friday fun - my "retro" hunt seat look

I recently took my young horse to a breed show to get him some experience in the show ring. My background is saddleseat but this horse is definitely not a ss mover, so I tried to go with a retro hunt seat look - man’s tie, non-skin-tight breeches, flat tack, big braids, etc. I want to get a better fitted saddle pad, but overall I like the look. Best of all - we had fun and the horse had a good experience.

44 Likes

Lovely! Both of you !

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I love the wide cavesson and the rosettes.

2 Likes

I especially like the brown hunt cap.

5 Likes

Thanks! I think the wide, flat bridle looks good on his big Standardbred head.

5 Likes

Thanks! It was a good find on Ebay. :wink:

1 Like

I love ebay!! Unfortunately my beautiful brown hunt cap hangs on my wall because it is pre-harness and no longer allowed but damn I looked good in that thing back in the day :rofl:

6 Likes

Perfect. My first reaction to your lovely photo is What an old timey head. And those ears!

3 Likes

LOL! He’s mostly Standardbred crossed with a bit of Dutch Harness (hence the STB “jug head”), and I think he could tune in Tokyo with those ears! :laughing: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

There is an elite Oldenburg mare at my barn whose head is identical, down to the star.

3 Likes

Best of all y’all had fun and your horse had a good experience. You look great! I am not a chasing the latest trend person. As someone that has judged local shows I have often thought that exhibitors should have spent more money on lessons/training and less on attire.

7 Likes

I love this look! I have a friend in North Wales who dresses like this for her shows and I think it should be more prevalent here.

4 Likes

Love the look and the horse!

3 Likes

Your photo is lovely, and I admire your knack for putting it all together, down to the flat tack, knotty braids and earth tone apparel. And I love me some big ol’ warmblood ears!

But I do have to say that at first glance I had a severe and sudden flashback to my youth. :laughing:

2 Likes

Not retro! Middleweight hunter UK style! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I do think that plain, simple bridles, without droopy browband, bling and the inevitable flash, do show off a horses head very nicely.

2 Likes

I absolutely love the colors! I really prefer the old school fabrics and colors to the modern ones looks-wise. So classy! They’re just so tough to deal with in the humidity. Barnmate showed two weeks ago in an old-school coat and top and looked fabulous… but a bit miserable in the heat.

And I am forever on the hunt for a brown helmet that conjures days of yore (and ditto brown boots!). I have one on my Pinterest from CO, but it’s a custom job outside my budget.

2 Likes

I’m liking those non-skin tight breeches. I am nostalgic about the ones I rode in as a teenager - cotton with a bit of stretch, with some bag to them. Wish I could find something similar. Hate peeling off clothing after being at the barn… I’m in Phoenix, it’s 93F at 7am…

1 Like

I have two pairs of brown field boots. I am thinking of sending them to Middleburg Tack Exchange. Message me if you are slim.

1 Like