Unlimited access >

Frivolous spinoff of dress rule changes- what's on your shopping list?

After the ceremonial burning of the white breeches, what are we shopping for??? I have always LOVED the French blue breeches with tan knee patches but never indulged, because, why? But now!?!? I think the French blue is pale enough to distinguish leg from tack, and while I’m not sure about a tan full seat, I actually prefer riding in knee patches most of the time. So I’m finally going to buy those freaking breeches:) Jacket to match - hmm. Navy for a sort of monochromatic look? Or a smart tweed? I also like the dark charcoal greys, navy, brown, and dark greens for breeches. I don’t know if I’m brave enough for burgundy/wine show breeches? What outfits do most plan to put together? Or will you stay more traditional and just feel less weird in the light gray/tans vs. white than years past?

2 Likes

I want a purple coat!

4 Likes

I’d love to see some frost blue breeches with a navy coat. My current coat is red/maroon, which looks lovely with my pink browband(s).

1 Like

I will never understand this worry about “seeing the leg.” I have ridden in lessons and clinics, as have many others I know, in BLACK breeches. No coach, trainer, instructor, or clinician has EVER complained that they can’t see my leg.

6 Likes

i’m going gray. Tonal grays and champaign/bone/beige accents on my palomino mare. Just ordered a couple gray pads. AND i ordered some leather paints so i can change a bridle’s color. Will do a bling browband once we actually take a test… to celebrate being brave.

1 Like

I am so excited about this! I have a red bay and am trying to decide what color breeches I want.

3 Likes

I’ve been asked to wear lighter colors, especially when riding in a covered arena and/or by rider biomechanics focused coaches. Of course for a show not seeing my leg is probably a good thing :rofl:

3 Likes

Me too! There are lots of burgundy ones on the market but none that look truly purple!! If you find one, please post it! :purple_heart:

Sadly, I cannot yet burn the whites as the Eventing dressage rules haven’t caught up yet (light or white still required) :roll_eyes:, but I plan to go with black. I have ridden in black breeches for many years through all kinds of clinics, lessons, and schooling shows/events and never had any complaints. I have no idea why I would want a dressage judge’s eye to be drawn to my legs?! :open_mouth: :joy:

2 Likes

Lighter breeches would be a definite advantage for rider biomechanics. But we’re talking about showing, where with a jacket and boots, maybe 12 - 15 inches of you thigh is visible.

1 Like

Brown and dark green breeches to go with my chestnuts!

3 Likes

I have done black breeches in clinics, but I actually do think it’s a prettier picture with a little contrast, plus, I want to have fun with the colors! Though I’m not sure I’m fun enough for purple;)

2 Likes

Purple lovers unite!

I haven’t found any yet but if I do it will be ON and shared here!

3 Likes

umm I already ride in a purple coat.

Good for you! Where did you find it?

The original thread is about showing, but your post which I referenced specifically talks about riding in “lessons and clinics” :wink:

1 Like

I’m not sharing. I want to be original!

1 Like

I have one from Smartpak and one from Horseware, both are no longer made. I’ve worn them for several years.

1 Like

There are purple coats out there but none are quiiiiiiite what I’m looking for, so I’m very hopeful that coat manufacturers get on it. Currently I show in an RJ Classics coat which is the right size and color but definitely looks more H/J than Dressage.

2 Likes

Looks sharp @CobJockey! But I’m looking for more of a dark grape purple and so far haven’t found any. With the rules changing, I hope more options are available soon.

1 Like

Same, was just posting to share, not to suggest you buy it. This is the problem with purple, there are many shades and if you’re like me, you’re not willing to compromise!

2 Likes