Unlimited access >

Frivolous thread - what color bling browband?

It will take some kind of miracle dippity-doo gel to keep the frizz to a minimum regardless of how it were to be braided. Hence my coach wanting to roach. Her ears are also pretty fuzzy on the inside (i call them her ‘edges’ lol), and i just don’t think i’ll be clipping them either.

Should i go into a REAL show, i’ll def hire a pro!
In schooling shows do they relax the horse’s dress code as well as rider’s?

Braiding isn’t required for showing, but it presents a neat picture. IMO, it’s worth braiding for schooling shows because it’s a part of the practice for preparing for a bigger show.

It is possible to do button braids on a longer mane. I have friends who show Arabians in dressage and sometimes they will do this instead of button braids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H73iaOcdJj0

I went down the Equiture rabbit hole last night and I am now obsessed with this browband for my lighter chestnut warmblood mare who has a wide blaze. However, after her tantrum over cantering this morning, I think it will wait until she is a little closer to where I can contemplate taking her out in public.

2 Likes

Well, you have some time before it’s an issue. When you are starting to think about showing you will have time to start some baths and think about conditioners and detanglers. You don’t want to try braiding a super clean slippery mane. But absolutely all the various hair spray and hair gel products are useful. Also having the mane one length, and no rubbed out parts. If the horse does rub out tgen roaching is helpful. But I think a pasture horse needs a mane.

1 Like

I have a friend whose palomino wears a browband with turquoise stones. It looks beautiful.

2 Likes

It depends on the show. Schooling, or unrecognized, shows can really do whatever they want in terms of what they will and won’t allow. Our GMO follows USEF rules 100% when it comes to tack and equipment. The rules for humans are more relaxed. It’s all laid out in the prize list. Before you enter a schooling show, read the prize list carefully so you know what their rules are.

:point_right: It is always the competitor’s responsibility to know and follow the rules. :point_left: Very important!

3 Likes

interesting braiding video. I’m such a weirdo perfectionist i think i’d want smaller, tighter ones.

Love your browband outerbanks77. i have one in my shopping cart in similar colors…don’t know for what horse, but i’ll find one for it. *edit~OH i know who…my ponymule! Is your horse a chestnut? (edit: just re-read your post and see that your mare is a light chestnut. I think your browband would look terrific on her)

…here’s the one i want that’s kinda like yours, but i can see mine on a bay, esp with the black leather.

1 Like

Cool coat and mane! What a beautiful head!

I like the idea of large pearls that match her mane and smaller pearls that match her coat. Or just large pearls that match her mane. However, no matter what you have on her forehead, she’ll turn heads with that coat, crimped tail (no matter what you do with the mane) and head. She’s a horse who can pull off a tiara easily! Have fun!

My friend took a Bashkir Curly pinto stallion to Grand Prix. Everyone knew who he was because he was so unusual looking in the show ring. He had a fan club!

-your enabler

3 Likes

Thanks everyone!..And since i’ve totally hijacked this thread LOL…i’ll have to get a face shot of young master standardbred and have y’all help with a bling selection for his domey little forehead. Then i can place my order. Going with your suggestion re white large pearls on center run and cream small ones top and bottom. On black leather (saddle is black and i hope to one day score just the right shade of gray bridle)

He does not have a domey little forehead. He has a unique and handsome head. :grin: He texted me that he considers himself handsome.

Just advocating for you, your horses and your purchases. Can’t wait to weigh in on your gelding’s pics.

-your enabler

1 Like

Don’t look at his chest! He’s still pretty narrow but not this narrow. When he was a yearling i called him the thin man. Now i call him my little red puppy. He’s 15.3 and i’m thinking he’ll make it to 16 if, and when, he adds his bulk.

soooo…what color bling? would this work or is it too thin? and too yellowish?

or maybe this one? cannot believe my eye has gotten adjusted to bling and now i’m willing to go all-full-monte! lol

1 Like

Dear Enablee,

This chest??? Pfft! It’s all about the forehead. In my know nothing opinion, the yellow is nice but he doesn’t have the yellow about him to back that up. He could wear that as a more subtle band, but it doesn’t really highlight him. He’s a “loud” bay, which makes him a flashy bay. I’d go with the flashier low browband. The deeper blue always looks great on a bay and he can pull off the clear crystals with his “loud bay” (awesome coat coloring) coloration. This would really highlight his bright bay coloring and his face and make him get noticed. Take advantage - what a great looking guy!!

He needs a browband that matches his flashy coloring. IMHO.

Your enabler,
J.

2 Likes

I love his face… I actually think a brass clincher would look very classy with him. Not that I am against bling, either.

1 Like

I love the look of a clincher, brass or silver color. We don’t see them very often any more.

1 Like

I would LOVE to put a clincher on Mr Tyra Banks Fivehead – but I cannot for the life of me find one big enough in decent quality. He needs an 18".

Tthere is something special about a plain brown wrapper (especially mahogany bay) in a brass clincher. It’s a timeless look for me.

2 Likes

Look what I found!
https://www.doversaddlery.com/suffolk-brass-clincher-brwband/p/X1-4467/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_o-HBhAsEiwANqYhp1Dx8ElTXpohO0jfAmtzoO9qTyIvOK7rkTBWdpFOw9pl06nZHbe4vxoCm60QAvD_BwE

Also

2 Likes

The Suffolk OS is only 16.5" :frowning: I will check out the Nunn Finer, TY for the link. We actually have a Nunn Finer black/brass breastplate so maybe we can be Matchy Matchy…

1 Like

The oversize is only 16.5"? That’s crazy.

Yup! Industry standard for OS seems to be 16.5-17", which is wild to me. I have a Suffolk OS bridle and it’s OS in the length of cheeks and that’s about it. The sizing on Dover/in-house brand stuff in general tends to run smaller.

Did you order that beautiful browband for your mare yet?.. it’s really beautiful.

Beowulf, here are some made-2-order chain browbands. up to 20" , but they are only silvertone :frowning: https://chimacumtack.com/product/browbands-comfy-fit/

1 Like