Unlimited access >

Fun horse names

Time for an upbeat topic - what horse names just tickle your funny bone?

I like James Avery’s Mr. Sneezy.

1 Like

There was a good low level eventer a few years ago called “Dobbin”. I also liked one called “Winalot My Chum” (in case that one doesn’t travel, winalot is a brand of dog biscuits and chum is a brand of tinned dog meat).

We play a game of ‘Horse or Rider’ in which a name is read out from the event running order and then people guess if it belongs to a horse or a human. Can be tricky.

6 Likes

Something about “Portersize Just a Jiff” made me smile every time I heard or said it.
Mr. Chunky
King Bob

I don’t keep a list of baby names, but I have a dream list of fun horse names that I hope to use one day.

3 Likes

This is why I like a lot of event horse names. I’ll take a cute/clever name for a horse over one that tries too hard to be elegant/serious any day!

6 Likes

I always wanted to name a horse “The Hot Italian Lifeguard” because “Jane Smith riding The Hot Italian Lifeguard” could be so funny.

We had one we called Noodle in the barn because he was so wiggly to ride, and we joked about naming him Top Ramen. He ended up with a different name, though.

16 Likes

Along the same lines as Thomas, I wan to breed a Totilas son and name it Topless.

So and so riding Topless.

7 Likes

From the QH world --“SheezsoEZshzsleezy” Read about one in the name change column that went from something prosaic to “Pot Roast” —can’t imagine that being shouted around an event course; Kiddo’s horse was named “Hugh Jackman” usually got a shout out from the announcer --“and now something we all would like to do, (name) riding Hugh Jackman.” And my all time favorite race horse name: World War Juan.

7 Likes

I always smile when I see Clip Clop.

5 Likes

I knew of an OTTB named SwiperNoSwiping and I always got a chuckle out of that.

8 Likes

Years ago there was an Australian OTTB named “Bare Naked” I don’t know if they ever changed it for show.

1 Like

There’s an eventer around here named Threat Level Midnight. As a fan of The Office, that one always makes me smile!

8 Likes

A college-aged guy I know wants to get a buckskin so they can be announced as “John Smith riding Buck Nekkid.”

When I was a wee short stirruper, another kid had a pony called “Grandma’s Money”. Always liked that one!

5 Likes

Mind the Paint
Childfree Time

4 Likes

My Tuition

(Area V will know who the rider was)

Rider’s mother informed every spectator she stood next to that “My daughter graduated college !!!”

:rofl:

4 Likes

Always thought Joe Meyer’s “Snip” had the perfect horse name. Does a horse need more than that? :grin:

5 Likes

We have a local event horse named Your Ex Boyfriend that always makes me laugh.

5 Likes

I think it was Jessica Phoenix who rides or rode a horse named Dr. Sheldon Cooper. As a big Big Bang Theory fan that name just tickled me.

My husband took a picture of him for me when stewarding the warm up at Essex a couple of years back and sent it to me where I was timing the finish.

4 Likes

When there was racing in B’ham, AL there was a filly running there (who did well, actually) named Bodacious Tatas. LOVED that name! I believe she was a Florida bred and went back to FL and produced some foals that raced. Maybe they named a filly of hers Dolly Parton, LOL.

3 Likes

I think there was one around here called “Thanks Dad” I always thought that was cute.

I’d like to name a horse “Flux Capacitor” and have Marty as his barn name.

9 Likes

I used to ride against “My Dad’s Harley” - a big beautiful dark bay/black horse!

2 Likes