Unlimited access >

Fun horse names

My horse Odin is unregistered but in keeping with the Norse theme, I gave him the show name “Let’s Get Kraken.”

OTTB Spud came with the name “Bud’s a Flyin’” I didn’t much care for it but thought I would do a play on the word Bud as in Budweiser. A friend suggested Spuds MacKenzie which I loved and thus Spud.

6 Likes

I want to get a pony and name it Mony,Mony. :laughing:

5 Likes

Okay WHAT? :rofl:

I used to work as security a few years ago at a TB and QH racetrack. Some of the more memorable names:

Romalomadingdong (can’t recall if TB or QH - it was in the same barn as a lot of the QHs were but I think the trainer had both QHs and TBs, though predominantly QHs)

Captain Porky (QH - really pretty, HUGE black horse with white on his face)

Answer Me Big Daddy (QH mare)

I recall there briefly (probably a ship in) being a chestnut TB called It’s Not EZ Being Green or something close to that.

I still have a few racing programs from when I worked there floating around, I could probably find other names but off the top of my head those are some that stood out. Sadly I live in a very Trump-y area and worked there a couple years after the '16 election so there were a lot of Trump-themed names on some of the young horses. :grimacing: :roll_eyes: (no offense meant to those who voted for the former president and not trying to make this political but I do think you shouldn’t get so political w/horse names as those ain’t gonna age well, haha).

3 Likes

There was a horse in South Africa that was named ‘President Trump’ at a time when no one thought he would ever possibly be elected. The owners were told to rename him, out of respect to the Office, when Trump won.

3 Likes

:rofl:

We had a local breeder whose last name was Justice so all his horses had Justice in the name (because, well, if you have a name like that, might as well use it to full advantage eh?)

One horse was called Flat Out Justice. It raced against a horse named IGotTrumped. If anyone feels like it, there’s a video of that race on youtube b/c it was a rather humorous call regardless of one’s politics I’d hope - Flat Out Justice won and it was a pretty close race IIRC.

6 Likes

I’ve been watching a lot of TB horse racing, and I get a kick seeing some of the cute, clever, and funny names I see. For example, “Name Rejected” and “Somelikeithotbrown” by Big Brown out of Marilyn Monroan." :grin:

2 Likes

It’s a pretty famous name in TB pedigrees, Snip f1736, grandson of the Darley Arabian, great-grandson of the Byerley Turk, and sire of Snap.

Or have them rerouted around the back pasture …

1 Like

And ironically, she was bought by an acquaintance as a broodmare, so I met Boobsplasher in the flesh.

4 Likes

I worked at a track and saw some dandy names but that takes the cake of “how’d this even get past the jockey club?”

2 Likes

If anyone wants, the programs I hung onto aren’t as buried as I thought I could go through a couple sometime and share a few names that I couldn’t think of off the top of my head.

2 Likes

All of my horses have actually and pretty fun names, or at least ironic. My first horse, a TB mare, “Always Out Front” never won a race. My second horse, named him “Oliver Untwisted”. Third was my heart horse, “Akumal” which not a funny name, but I think that was the Mexican resort where his breeders went on their honey moon. Current guy, his name is “BFF Bravo” but all my guys have to have a name that starts with a vowel, so “Your BFF Bravo” :stuck_out_tongue: The first pony I broke, a small black mare, named “I’m a Big Girl Now”.

I always loved the name “On The Moon” and barn name “Rover”, especially on like a bay gelding with basically no markings. OR “I’ma get Rect” - because I’m a Recreational Therapist.

2 Likes

I’ve heard some fun names at shows recently.

I’ve heard Reginald, Sir Thunderhooves, Lordy, and I knew of a horse a while ago whose name was Sofa King Fast. I heard about this horse online, so I don’t know what happened to him, but sometimes I think about how it would be funny if he was a western pleasure horse.

2 Likes

A few I’ve encountered as an announcer -
The Pool Boy
Daddy’s Sports Car
Miss Behavin’ (my DD’s short stirrup mare)

A friend wants to name her next horse Amateur Hour. I always thought Parabola would be fun (I’m a math teacher) but past trainer was afraid it would be pronounced like E-bola. I also thought Caffeinated would be fun for a liver chestnut.

1 Like

Fun (or odd) names - just pulled out a random old race program I still had from my days patrolling barns on the backside of a TB/QH track:

Close The Case
Soda Fountain
Pass The Biscuits (which reminded me we also had a horse at that same track called Biscuits N’ Gravy)
Rooster (that just seems like such an odd name and it doesn’t appear to be from his pedigree)
Can’t Crosstraffic
Unavoidable
Runestone
Confidential
Quick Toss (as opposed to what??)
Menace The Dennis (that’s a fun name I’d forgotten seeing)
Two Carrot Ransom
Obsolete
Grandpa Frank (who was eventually gelded…so guess he wasn’t gonna become a grandpa :rofl:)
Vic The Boss (that sounds like a character in some gangster movie)
Eccentric Warfare
Redyornothereicome (that’s a fun one to hear the announcer say!)
In A Fog

There was a quarter horse named (breeder prefix) Don’t Tempt Me - love the name and rarely see a name on a QH that’s that good, haha.

Satirenlace (another quarter horse)

From another old program (these are all a few years old)

Yes I’m Evil
Riddlemeree
Ashy Taty (TB, dam’s name was Asheville or something. I’m not sure how it’s meant to be pronounced and keep mentally saying “taty” with an “a” sound like in potato which just makes me think it sounds like a weird nickname for a burnt potato which it probably is not but)
Bang
Pass And Go
Good N Gone
Soup Stone
Mom’s The Word
Snapchatter
Rectified
Nothinglefttogain
Can’t Be (I actually like that name)
Gift Wrapped (sounds more like a name for a show horse than a racehorse)
Lil Sucrette (for some reason makes me think of cough drops? Isn’t Sucret (?) a brand of cough drops or something?)
Ginormous
Taffydo
Chaos
Sailor Moon (someone must like anime?)
Foots (now THAT’S a heck of a name)
Big Silver Hoss (and sure enough, per the program, a gray)
Electric Avenue (Isn’t that a song? I know it’s a song though I’ve never really heard it but it’s been meme’d a lot.)
Anniegetyourcigar (QH)

From another program (gonna quit w/these three programs)

Traumarama
Seductive (that just seems like a weird name - doesn’t seem to be from pedigree at least not based on parents’ or either grandsires’ names)
Hitthegroundrunnin
Perly Gaits (someone got punny/cute)
Luke The Train
Flashin Theflowers (I can’t help but wonder were they “flashing the flowers” or seeing a flash in the flowers? That space makes it a little ambiguous.)
Imadandybandy
Shatterproof
Air Turbulence
Magic Feet
Easy Doer
Air Wonderful
It’s a Major Award
Son of a Saint
Rhinestone Romeo
Thirsty Actor (sire is Stay Thirsty)
Hay Little Bit
Good Guess (that’s a good name)
Bar Rag (I kind of remember this because it just seems like such a random name)
Prompted
Operation Stevie
Bizerk (every time I see this - it’s popped up in two out of three programs I’ve looked at I wonder if the misspelling was intentional or what?)
Uphold
Containment
Its Just Fate
Disorderly Conduct (which also reminds me there was a horse at the track called Drunk Uncle and another called Ruh-Roh Raggy)
Got The Notion
Ferocious Tiger (which at least in this specific race, finished 4th so maybe not THAT ferocious :rofl:)
Aka Falsely Accused (think that’s a breeder/owner prefix, surprisingly, as there were a few QHs named like that)

There were a lot of QHs w/Corona in the name and one in particular just seems a bit darkly humorous now as I just noticed it for the first time flipping thru the program: Cause for Corona

So - that’s from going through three programs. I still hung onto a lot of them as while it was just a part-time job while I got my adult career going, it was still pretty fun for a part-time job and those are about the only mementos I have of it.

4 Likes

My mom and I used to joke about naming a race horse “RunUSOB”-and if he didn’t make it on the track, we would change it to “JumpUSOB”

4 Likes

How about the Mexican drug cartel, Los Zetas, who laundered $$$ millions through QH racing in NM and ended up naming their horses things like “Number One Cartel” and “My Brother’s Secret”.

4 Likes

I kind of like my old guy’s name “Rolling Blackout” – he was imported from Ireland into California in the early 2000’s so… Enron, power shortages, etc.

2 Likes

already posted what I posted here.

I was just thinking about a bunch of Law and Order related potential horse names!