Unlimited access >

Funny Encounter with Non-Horsey Friend

The other day I ran into my friend Geoff at the gym. He and I were walking out, and as I had been his love-life consultant for awhile, he was updating me on a girl he had been thinking of wooing. He had decided she was too much of a princess for him (i.e. her own Lexus at age 16, her own credit cards, etc) and so they were just friends. That reminded me of the horse community and I said “yeah, I know the type of girl you mean, there are alot of them that ride.” Then he was like “Oh, I know, Michele (his old girlfriend) does horse races too”.
At this I kind of snorted without meaning to, at the idea of this Abercrombie chick in my grade “doing horse races”. He noticed and must have realized his mistake, so he was like “Umm, I mean, horse… um… horse…” And I was like, “horse SHOWS”. And he was like, “ah.” It was very funny. Does anyone else get the race/show mix-up business?

EMMA
http://emmapony.diaryland.com

my friend who understands the lesson thing the best is involved in improv comedy. His troupe practices together and does workshops, I joked “but its improv?!” and he said everyone asks that, so we mutually understand how we do lessons

Laura

A girl I went to High School with was convinced that her neighbors were the crulest horse owners ever, because they insisted on putting blindfolds on the poor inocent creatures. I had to explain to her that her neighbors were not blindfolding the horses, but simply putting fly masks on them.

I’m currently dealing with a boyfriend who is completely misguided on how hard it is to ride a horse. He has decided that he wants to learn how to (and I quote) “gallop through a field and wave a hat around like Indiana Jones.” I TRY to explain to him that you just can’t get on a random horse and ride like that without knowing what you’re doing, but he won’t listen. He’s convinced that since he’s ridden before (mind you, it was on a guided trail ride, where he only got to walk…) he should be able to do this. I need to figure out a way to get an equine to explain this to him without putting him in the hospital…I’m happy he likes horses, but he just doesn’t understand!!

Haha, I mean, I give it to the people for trying I guess…

.:Erin B #2:.
You cannot stop us, you cannot bring us down,
Never give up, we go on and on.

Indy, I say go ahead and let him try!

Don’t be such a spoilsport.

The other day I ran into my friend Geoff at the gym. He and I were walking out, and as I had been his love-life consultant for awhile, he was updating me on a girl he had been thinking of wooing. He had decided she was too much of a princess for him (i.e. her own Lexus at age 16, her own credit cards, etc) and so they were just friends. That reminded me of the horse community and I said “yeah, I know the type of girl you mean, there are alot of them that ride.” Then he was like “Oh, I know, Michele (his old girlfriend) does horse races too”.
At this I kind of snorted without meaning to, at the idea of this Abercrombie chick in my grade “doing horse races”. He noticed and must have realized his mistake, so he was like “Umm, I mean, horse… um… horse…” And I was like, “horse SHOWS”. And he was like, “ah.” It was very funny. Does anyone else get the race/show mix-up business?

EMMA
http://emmapony.diaryland.com

My best one happened a long time ago. I was describing my new horse to a school chum that rode. Another non-horsey friend was listening to us. Afterward, in the hall, she came up to me and asked, " Was my new horse really GREEN??"

Saturday night six of us, including my trainer and a non-horsey friend, were having dinner. My trainer I were chatting about possibly teaching my quite green horse to drive, and I said the horse really needed to learn to steer first. Can you imagine what my non-horsey friend thought? He said initially he thought we were kidding about the horse “driving,” but then realized we were having a serious discussion. He just couldn’t believe we were going to try to teach a horse how to drive a car!

All the time.

Best comment about showing recently was from a non-horsey colleague who is a serious bicycle racer (as in, male who shaves legs). He races many weekends and wanted to know why I didn’t show all the time. I said that it was too expensive. He responded–“what does it cost, about $200?”

Ooh, I have lots.

My boyfriend asked once why I was trying to feed metal (putting the bit in his mouth) to the horse when he OBVIOUSLY wasn’t going to eat it-- duh!

Another bit-related question-- I have a picture of my horse yawning while bridled, and I have it in my folder at school- a girl said disgustedly, “Poor animal, that’s SO cruel! Why are you CHOKING him like that??”

Another; once I had to miss a Friday of school to go to a horse show-- as I was explaining this to my teacher, someone said, “Boy, I wish I could miss school to go watch the horse races.”

Someone once asked why I didn’t barrel race or pole bend ‘like normal people’. Um. Let’s see.

My well meaning boyfriend was over and offered to hang up my bridle. After telling him to hang it up by the browband, he trots off – later, I saw it hung by the bit, all tangled.

A friend was over and we were going riding- I got Sebastion and Boe off the pasture and saddled them, and we rode for a bit. Afterwards, she was petting one and a little drop of green grassy drool plopped out of the horse’s mouth, upon which she threw hysterics about the horse being possessed by the devil. “But it’s GREEN!!”

Funny stuff.

I agree with Maggymay, Indy. Let him give it a shot.

" Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience."
–Emerson

Yup, me too: friend heard I’d bought a 6 yr old TB and was feeling very pleased w. himself for being knowledgeable enough to ask if I was going to race him.

I was talking to my uptight yuppie friend (really, he’s a great guy) who was moaning on about life in the corporate world and how expensive being a successfull Big Cheese like him was. I tried to commiserate, saying that I was really having to scramble as an artist to pay for my new horse (who is a spiffy jumper and was not, by my standards, inexpensive. At all.). Yuppie Boy said something like, “Yeah, what’s a horse like that cost you… Thousand dollars? Something around that?” We had a little chat, and now he knows not to ask about horse prices because they make his little Izod toes curl…

Believe it or not, YB and I, though we seem totally polar, really do get along great.

Delighted Studios

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Inverness:
I agree with Maggymay, Indy. Let him give it a shot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’d love to! I’m horseless, and don’t really ride at the moment so I’m out horse-sorces. But I’m still trying to come up with a way to let him figure out for himself that his Indiana Jones fantasy is a little harder than he thinks. I do have a friend down in FL with a pony that would teach him a lesson real quick…the thing is 26 and will still buck anyone off any day of the week…too bad Wally is only 13.2 or we’d be vacationing in FL really soon! Let Wally explain it to him Someday, he’ll learn

I did horse racing and shows when I was in high school!

BEQS clique
Resident racing historian
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I used to show every year at the MD state fair, Even in the barns, the horse people seem out numbered by fairgoers who come to see the “pretty horses.”

I was frequently asked what race I was in and if my horse was fast. When I was putting shipping bandages on for the ride home, I would get questions like “how did your horse get hurt?” or “what are you putting those Ace bandages on for?”

My personal favorite was when I was braiding, and several young girls came up and exclaimed “That horsie is getting a weave!”

Absolut Equestrian

“Ride softly, and carry a big stick”
Member of the Disgruntled College Students Clique, Night Owl Support Group

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tri-mo:
After looking at a picture of a horse with a blanket on, my friend says to me, “does your horse have a cape, too?”<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEHE, when some of my buddies were at my house, one noticed a Dover catalog and started flipping through it and he said “now why would a horse wear a jacket?” I thought it was very cute & endearing.

BGoosewood in Goosewood and therefore TweedleDEE http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

inquired, as the horses took the track for the VIRGINIA GOLD CUP steeplechase, why wasn’t I out there with one of MY HORSES??? Gave her a crash course on the differences between race horses and SHOW PONIES.

But then she said, “I don’t understand. They (the racehorses) need training; you’re a trainer. What’s the big deal?”

~Kryswyn~
“Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo”

Once when I was in high school, a friend came out to the barn with me and called the stalls cages. Like they were wild animals or something.

There is always the:

“Oh I’ve got to run or I will be late for my lesson.”

Followed by:

“But I thought you already knew how to ride.”

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”