Unlimited access >

Furstenball..... Opinions

[QUOTE=Crosiadore;7424962]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFdS6_rB5Q

This is video Kareen took of Fashion Maker (Fuestenball/De Niro/Weltmeyer) . Just to make the decision a little harder. I do not think I have seen a young horse carry himself this well…

http://www.hengste-rohmann.de/Site/index.php/fashion-maker.html[/QUOTE]

Wow, three crosses to Donnerhall in the. 1st 4 generations! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a German WB bred this closely before. Very interesting. Maybe we need to revisit the linebreeding/inbreeding thread where so many people were freaking out over this type of breeding!

Should make this guy extremely prepotent and really stamp his offspring. Lovely, lovely boy!

[QUOTE=Kyzteke;7425781]
Wow, three crosses to Donnerhall in the. 1st 4 generations! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a German WB bred this closely before. Very interesting. Maybe we need to revisit the linebreeding/inbreeding thread where so many people were freaking out over this type of breeding!

Should make this guy extremely prepotent and really stamp his offspring. Lovely, lovely boy![/QUOTE]

Follow Me has the same 3 crosses (Furstenball - Donnerschwee). It seems to becoming more common, especially with Furstenball crossed on D line mares.

[QUOTE=Edgewood;7425811]
Follow Me has the same 3 crosses (Furstenball - Donnerschwee). It seems to becoming more common, especially with Furstenball crossed on D line mares.[/QUOTE]

And for those familiar with the Tesio principals, the Donnerhall is almost in the “Engine Room” (4-5G) and nicely sex-balanced as well.

This is linebreeding at it’s best…well utilized, well researched and producing one heck of an individual. Again the theory is that a horse with this sort of linebreeding will tend to “Stamp” their foals more than total outcrosses…although I have to say my own research shows this is not always the case.

But it works more than it doesn’t, which is why Tesio was such a successful breeder.

For those who are interested, here is a break down of his pedigree:
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10994012&blood=10&quota=

Note that he is more than 31% Donnerhall. Personally I would cross him with a Donnerhall daughter…not just any one, but a top-quality, proven producer of quality herself. Outstanding way to conserve the Donnerhall blood in rich concentration.

Again, both are stunning stallions.

http://dressurleistungszentrum.de/de/news_de/23.01.-follow-me-fohlen.html

For Kyzteke (-: First foal from Follow Me out of Don Frederico mare…so not direct Donnerhall but close. There is video if you search.

[QUOTE=Kyzteke;7425970]
And for those familiar with the Tesio principals, the Donnerhall is almost in the “Engine Room” (4-5G) and nicely sex-balanced as well.

This is linebreeding at it’s best…well utilized, well researched and producing one heck of an individual. Again the theory is that a horse with this sort of linebreeding will tend to “Stamp” their foals more than total outcrosses…although I have to say my own research shows this is not always the case.

But it works more than it doesn’t, which is why Tesio was such a successful breeder.

For those who are interested, here is a break down of his pedigree:
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10994012&blood=10&quota=

Note that he is more than 31% Donnerhall. Personally I would cross him with a Donnerhall daughter…not just any one, but a top-quality, proven producer of quality herself. Outstanding way to conserve the Donnerhall blood in rich concentration.

Again, both are stunning stallions.[/QUOTE]

I am planning on crossing Follow Me with a mare that has Donnerhall in her sire’s damline (2nd dam of sire is full sister to Donnerschlag) but who on my mare’s direct damline is strong moving Weltmeyer x G line.

So it would be 4 x 4 x 5 x 5 Donnerhall crosses. Plus as others noted, the nice Furstenball’s seem to be out of strong moving Weltmeyer (or similar) mares.

Edited to add: if I went with Fashion Maker, I would have so much line breeding it would b crazy 4x4x5x5 Donnerhall and 4x4 Weltmeyer, 5x5 Bolero, 5x6 Pik Konig

[QUOTE=Crosiadore;7426074]
http://dressurleistungszentrum.de/de/news_de/23.01.-follow-me-fohlen.html

For Kyzteke (-: First foal from Follow Me out of Don Frederico mare…so not direct Donnerhall but close. There is video if you search.[/QUOTE]

NICE baby…of course, from what I saw of the dam she’s no slouch either.

I’m curious as to why suddenly (or it seems that way) German WB breeders are starting to breed like the Arab people:winkgrin:.

Obviously I’m a big fan of linebreeding, but from my pedigree research, you didn’t use to see much of it in WBs.

Anybody have any idea why this seems to be changing?

[QUOTE=Edgewood;7426087]
I am planning on crossing Follow Me with a mare that has Donnerhall in her sire’s damline (2nd dam of sire is full sister to Donnerschlag) but who on my mare’s direct damline is strong moving Weltmeyer x G line.

So it would be 4 x 4 x 5 x 5 Donnerhall crosses. Plus as others noted, the nice Furstenball’s seem to be out of strong moving Weltmeyer (or similar) mares.

Edited to add: if I went with Fashion Maker, I would have so much line breeding it would b crazy 4x4x5x5 Donnerhall and 4x4 Weltmeyer, 5x5 Bolero, 5x6 Pik Konig[/QUOTE]

Personally, if they fit phenotypically I wouldn’t be too afraid of this at all. Again, per the Tesio “method” you want to load G’s 4/5 through G’s 7/8 with your line breeding and try to balance so that (about) the same % of, say, Donnerhall is on the sire’s side that is on the dam’s side.

The fact that you are linebreeding to so many different stallions keeps still keeps the genetic diversity…and it seems that just like some Arab stallions (like Bask+++), you really can’t have too much Donnerhall. And if the Furstenball sons are crossing well with Weltmeyers, that’s even better, since you have 2 crosses to him as well.

You should enter the data in Sporthorse Data base and look at the percentages and placement of the various stallions. They do have a “test mating” option, but that doesn’t give you all the cool info. So I just make up a name for the foal and enter it as a “new horse”. All you have to do is put the name of the “foal”, the sire, the dam, the year of birth and the country.

As far as intense linebreeding, a gal sent me this pedigree:
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?d=Fable+Passionata&sex=f&color=&dog_breed=any&birthyear=&birthland=

This mare was foaled in 2002 and was a kick-ass CT competitor; sound, smart, willing. Short, but of course she is an Arab.

She has 44 crosses to Raffles in G’s 4-9, making her 55.7% Raffles blood…a stallion who was foaled in 1926!!

Since she has all those crosses to Raffles, that means she also has a ton of crosses to Skowronek (both the sire AND the damsire of Raffles).

How many? Try 87 crosses to him in G’s 5-9, including 32 crosses just in G8 alone. So this mare is 45% Skowronek…a stallion who was born in 1909!!

I’m telling you…nobody does linebreeding as intensely as the Arab breeders, but it worked in this case. The mare had no problems mentally or physically and in fact, other that her height (14.2…“normal” for an Arab) she was a fantastic animal.

Stallions like Raffles & Skowronek (and apparently Donnerhall), have no skeletons in their genetic closet, so you don’t have to fret. Like I said, you’d be doing mild stuff compared to many Arabs (and even many TBs).

Honestly, I really wouldn’t worry about a mere 4 crosses to Donnerhall;)

[QUOTE=Kyzteke;7426755]
Personally, if they fit phenotypically I wouldn’t be too afraid of this at all. Again, per the Tesio “method” you want to load G’s 4/5 through G’s 7/8 with your line breeding and try to balance so that (about) the same % of, say, Donnerhall is on the sire’s side that is on the dam’s side.

You should enter the data in Sporthorse Data base and look at the percentages and placement of the various stallions. They do have a “test mating” option, but that doesn’t give you all the cool info. So I just make up a name for the foal and enter it as a “new horse”. All you have to do is put the name of the “foal”, the sire, the dam, the year of birth and the country.

Honestly, I really wouldn’t worry about a mere 4 crosses to Donnerhall;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I already do what you say doing the testmating. I also have created a foal too (without the real foal).

I am not worried about the Donnerhall at all. Sorry if you got that impression.

How is Furstenball’s frozen? Can anyone weigh in on # straws/ doses used, first-cycle success rates, etc?

[QUOTE=Edgewood;7426087]

Edited to add: if I went with Fashion Maker, I would have so much line breeding it would b crazy 4x4x5x5 Donnerhall and 4x4 Weltmeyer, 5x5 Bolero, 5x6 Pik Konig[/QUOTE]

Sorry…this line is what gave me that impression. Would you be concerned with LBing to one of the other stallions?

Just curious as to why you prefer Follow Me to Fashion Maker; any particular reason?

[QUOTE=Kyzteke;7427040]
Sorry…this line is what gave me that impression. Would you be concerned with LBing to one of the other stallions?

Just curious as to why you prefer Follow Me to Fashion Maker; any particular reason?[/QUOTE]

Well, that is Fashion Maker’s line breeding above. I might try that at some point.

I like Fashion Maker, but Follow Me I like equally as well and Follow Me is a year older (has an SPT already) and is approved Hanoverian. Plus he looks fabulous under saddle, his Dam is closely related to Donnerball (GP horse), etc. And then I also probably prefer Finest over Fashion Maker too, especially in type (although Fashion Maker’s performance under saddle was very good given his age).

It is so challenging looking at young stallions and trying to decide which is the best one to breed to…I am willing to make an educated gamble but it is still a gamble. We have a decent size mare base, so can imagine using a couple of these stallions. If I were guaranteed Fashion Maker could come close to being a stamping stallion, he would be my first choice. He has incredible self carriage and balance. But for my heavier mares I would go with Finest as I just love his pedigree. Am thinking my mare in Germany would be a good candidate for Fashion Maker…but still time to mull that over.

[QUOTE=Crosiadore;7427687]
Am thinking my mare in Germany would be a good candidate for Fashion Maker…but still time to mull that over.[/QUOTE]

Your Sir Donnerhall mare? Oh yummy and interesting comparison with her Furstenball from this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkRrC6cBvWQ

This is a much better video of the stallion. He is interesting and I like the dam line too. He is long in the gaskins but uses himself well and a good rider makes it look for sure not as noticeable. :slight_smile: Furstenball has a number of interesting sons now.

FashionMaker comes from a very interesting damline and a lot of people are talking about him. He is a bit long in the gaskin in the hind leg like Furstenball is himself, and a number of other stallions are too. How they use themselves is very good, through and with the good riders you don’t even notice it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFdS6_rB5Q

This is a better video of him.

It will be interesting to see how they produce. The best ones will be Furstenball also with a strong dam line so that you have double strength on the dam lines.

I really like Fashion Maker too, and I’m anxious to see what his offspring are like.

Marne, did you mean to post a different link for Fashion Maker ? That is the link I posted before. If there is a different video you have, would love to see it.

I posted this on the prior page - 2 mores videos of Fashion Maker

Here is my german rider, Wibke Hartmann-Stommel on Fashion Maker.

Wibke is very tiny,about 5ft tall, but she is very good!

Fashion Maker and my Golden West both stand at Rohmann’s this year and Wibke trains them.

Honeylips, do you own Fashion Maker? Will you be importing him at some point, if you do?

I wish I did… But alas, I don’t. His owner and I use the same rider (Wibke Hartmann - Stommel) and the same stallion station (Heiner Rohmann) for my stallion Golden West and Fashion Maker. I know the stallion fairly well. Just saw him last week!