Unlimited access >

General “aspirin” after a good work?

My guy came with lots of tricks but also lots of holes in his training. I am finally working with a trainer who understands his breed and sees the holes-and we are working on filling them.
So it’s hard for the horse. Even if it’s an “easy day”, he still has to use his right side and his back.
Aside from a small dose of bute, what is your preferred analgesic for your horse? (just like we humans take an ibuprofen after a good riding day?)
(And to note that he lives out 24/7 except for rare weather events or a few hours when the vet/farrier/body worker comes).

2 Likes

Two 30 c beebees of Arnica, given in side the lower lip. For me, too!

2 Likes

I am a firm believer in pre-treatment. I you plan a strenuous workout, take or administer the ant-inflammatory drug if your choice an hour or so BEFORE so that it is in the body at the time the inflammatory insult happens.

There is good scientific evidence for this. I know because I published some of it and received NIH funding to do the research.

25 Likes

What makes you feel he needs some help in this area, that a good warmup and cool down won’t do?

There are studies in humans that taking NSAIDs before a workout can injure they kidneys. I’m sure that hasn’t been studied in horses, but it’s worth knowing.

Not all inflammation is bad - some level of it is necessary to clean up the toxins created by the work/injury.

13 Likes

@JB So, even after a good warm up and cool down, do YOU ever get a bit sore the next day? I know I do after a good pilates session…
And thanks for the additional info re: pre treating.

@LCDR what is you preferred anti-inflammatory?

4 Likes

For tightness have you considered methocarbomol? Muscle relaxer.

3 Likes

absolutely! But I don’t take anything for it. My question still is - what makes you feel he needs an anti-inflammatory or analgesic? If he’s getting so sore after a session that he’s obviously stiff and sore, then I would offer that the work is too much. I’d want to know that, rather than having a drug downplay how much damage was done (damage = soreness).

I might give something then if he’s really that uncomfortable, but then I’d back way down on the work the next time. I just wouldn’t be giving something after a ride for “just in case”. That’s what I’m trying to clarify.

EmilyM has a good idea on the methacarbamol to deal with current tight muscle issues, so that the work necessary to help them recover can be done. That’s a very different scenario though.

16 Likes

Agreed - and I do understand about pre-treating inflammation because I do it myself sometimes . But I am also 54 and have arthritis. I certainly never thought about that before exercise in my 20s and 30s.

So I agree that if you’re making him that sore regularly you are either over training or there is an underlying issue. Mild occasional soreness is fine; and if not stalled could be untreated or occasional bute if you really overdid something (show, long trail, new type of work). But make sure your progression is appropriate.

I would think using himself properly should make him tired. But it shouldn’t make him very sore or you pushed too hard/too long.

8 Likes

How old is he and how old are these holes you’re fixing?

2 Likes

When the fox hunters have an extra hard day they get bute and methocarbamol for dinner.

3 Likes

Bute and methocarbamol is the go-to for after a particularly hard show for us. We also pack feet and liniment/poultice legs and wrap if the horses aren’t going straight outside for whatever reason.

Turnout and a stretchy hack the day after would be my solution to a hard workout, bute if we accidentally overdid it. I would not want to be working a horse so hard regularly that it needed more painkillers than that. If a horse is dealing with a pathology that is being rehabbed (say KS or a tendon issue), then a vet may prescribe methocarbamol or something for the initial rehab, which is entirely different from teaching a horse a new way of going. Just my 2 cents.

7 Likes

Agree! :+1:

New trainer. Walk only day after a strenuous workout. And more attention to taking the repair work slowly and being patient.

You shouldn’t be injuring your horse on the regular. Slow tf down and don’t break the horse while trying to fix it. If you overstep one day, do a walk (stretchy!) day the next day and day off the following day.

If you’re using nsaids or even herbals regularly you’re (your trainer is) doing something wrong.

If the horse has physical limitations (arthritis, muscle diseases, etc.) and needs chemical help, get a proper diagnosis and treat accordingly.

12 Likes

For some perspective:
Good lord folks, I’m not running him into the ground etc etc!! I know some folks use a Beemer blanket regularly after a work-would you question why they are making the horse sore??? (I don’t have one. I do use a BoT before the rides. )
He is a very opinionated PRE.
He knows the GP tricks but like so many doesn’t care to use his back. Especially the right side. Came to me that way two years ago,and he is 14 years old.
He gets regular easy days. And off days.
A typical ride is 30-40 minutes. Typically 3 days on and one day off. Of those three days, typically one is walk trot stretchy work. We don’t drill anything.
Saddle fits adjusted three months ago.
Yearly vet exam including lameness eval coming up this month. Never found anything. Two years ago X-rays were lovely.
As to the trainer, I mostly ride. I see her maybe twice a week. She rides maybe once every two weeks.

I should have expected this.
When will I learn that there is always someone here to make an abuse accusation.

10 Likes

What about Tylenol?
Maybe ask your vet what they recommend?

https://ker.com/equinews/equine-pain-relief-tool-kit-veterinarians-add-acetaminophen/

1 Like

Prolonged regular use of nsaids have known detrimental side effects. Not sure if beemer or body work do, but that is the reason people are pushing back and asking questions and making assumptions. Electrolytes as a pretreatment the night before the hard workouts might be beneficial, but if he gets ample turnout and warm up/cool down, and solid training plan, it would be helpful to know what the indicators are that he is so sore? I am generally in the less is more camp, meaning check in on free movement, training plan and nutrition before adding anything

9 Likes

I don’t think most horses actually need a Bemer blanket after a typical workout either, but if they can’t be turned out, maybe it helps their body recover without meds. (And maybe it makes their owners feel like they did something.)

No one is saying you/the trainer are abusive, but it is curious to ask about regular analgesics if it’s only moderate work, and not a pounding ride or show with no turnout, etc.

I think JB asked - but what makes you think he needs it – does he appear sore? Or does he appear stiff? Or are you just thinking in advance?

11 Likes

Horses are gosh darn hard enough without us going looking for problems !

It sounds to me like you are doing more physio type riding vs conditioning, in which case I would also avoid anti-inflamatories so you can listen to what his body is tell you regarding the work. As someone who has done a lot of physio, it can be important to listen to your body (same for your horse). The “no pain no gain” model shouldn’t apply to physio and slower gains will do more long term. Retraining new muscles is hard, and is a specialty unto itself.

7 Likes

But you still haven’t answered my question - what makes you feel he needs an NSAID (aspirin, bute, firocoxib) or an analgesic (acetaminophen) after a “good work”? Just in case? Because “good work” in the past made him so sore as to warrant it?

I don’t know anyone who uses a Bemer or anything similar because they regularly make the horse sore. Nearly everyone I know uses it post-work to help the body recover, which is not the same as relieving (perceived) soreness or inflammation, and IMHO, most who use it probably don’t even need to be using it that regularly, Bemer and the like seem to be very common as “not likely to hurt, might help increase performance”. Note that “increase performance” isn’t the same as “worked too hard and he needs help”

I DO know some who use Bemer/etc as part of a routine in helping horses with real issues - KS, SI injuries, other issues - get back into work by helping the muscles relax and repair. Again, not the same as an NSAID or non-NSAID pain killer

So work him to the extent the health of his right side allows, which sounds like he should be re-started as if he’s 3 and has no base of fitness. That sort of work shouldn’t require regular aspirin or bute.

If he’s so sore after this kind of work that he needs an NSAID, the work is too intense and/or too long.

Not one person has accused you of anything like abuse.

17 Likes