Unlimited access >

Getting a TB mare approved in other registries

How do you go about it? I have a 5YO unraced, Jockey Club-registered mare. She is a pet, but I’m thinking it’d be sort of fun to do this. I’ve toyed with the idea of breeding her, but I might not ever have the guts. She is my child. :lol:

Any suggestions on which registries might be suitable?

Speaking from experience, they will not be interested in her because she is a pet or your child. Or even because she is nice and has a great show record. But some are pickier than others.

She will of course need to have attributes they consider desirable–:lol: Does she have any of these? What are they? (Jockey Club papers are great -what is her pedigree?)

With further information, many on this forum can offer you good advice!

2 Likes

OHBS/GOV accepts JC-registered mares, but requires inspection of mare and foal. If the mare’s quality is high enough, she will be placed in the MMB, and her foals by approved stallions will be eligible for premium foal awards.

AHS accepts JC-registered mares, but also requires mare inspection. I believe once the mare has been accepted into the AHS mare books, her foals by Hanoverian approved stallions can be registered by mail. It is important to note that AHS is very tough on TB mares, with some being rejected outright.

I am pretty sure ISR/ONA and RPSI also inspect JC-registered mares, and they both require inspection of mare and foal.

The KWPN folks will need to weigh in here, but I believe you can breed a JC-registered mare to a KWPN-approved stallion and get registration papers for the foal without having to get the mare inspected first.

I’m not sure on how BWP or AHHA, etc., view TB mares. Maybe others will chime in with this info.

It’s a little late in the season to be thinking of getting a mare inspected - many registries are winding down their inspection schedules, so you will probably have to wait until next year. Figure out which registries you are interested in - use criteria such as whether they require inspection of mare and/or foal, and if so, whether they typically have an inspection in close proximity to you. Also consider how much value you place on registration papers from that registry (some registries are consider a higher “tier” than others), and which stallions are approved by that registry, etc. Then start making plans to attend an inspection next year for your chosen registry (again, if inspection is required). One plea from this experienced inspection organizer - do not wait until just a few weeks before the inspection to contact the registry and inspection organizer!! Give them - and yourself - plenty of time to get you on the inspection schedule and ensure all your paperwork is in order :smiley:

Just adding to what DY has said,
ISR/OldNA does accept TB mares upon inspection.
KWPN will register the foal out of a TB mare without inspecting the mare (or did so).
AHHA also inspects and approves TB mares.

Some registries seem to be more ‘pro-TB’ than others, and I think ISR/OldNA is one of them.
Many people choose the registry based upon what registry their stallion choice(s) are approved with.

ATA loves them some TB blood.
I had my mare inspected last Nov and she was approved for the ATA Preliminary Stud Book. Baby was born this year and her inspection and branding is in 25 days. She will be branded full Trakehner because I had the mare approved. :yes:

BWP inspects and approves TB mares, and can be pretty lenient - a mare of decent quality can get approved.

Not sure what sBs’s position is since they’re not holding a ton of inspections. I know that for the moment they’re allowing WB mares with just registration papers, but not sure if this applies to TB mares. They are reciprocal with BWP so a BWP approved (TB) mare would also be approved sBs.

AHHA does inspect TB mares but as of 2009, the mare must be nice enough to score into the Main Mare Premium book, so they are considerably tougher these days than they were in the past.

RPSI inspects and approves TONS of TB mares.

SWANA inspects and approves TB mares - not sure how tough/lenient they are.

There is also the revived Selle Francais in the US, as well as a host of American regisitries you could look at including the Continental Studbook, AWR or AWS.

Personally I’d pick a stallion I liked and see where he was eligible. Then I’d see what inspection tours/keurings would be local or convenient to travel to, and assess whether my mare had a realistic chance of getting approved with that registry.

It also may be better to do the inspection before you breed your mare so you can make sure you’re producing a foal that can be registered somewhere! Good luck.

1 Like

Most WB registries will inspect TBs, however some are harder on them than others. RPSI and Old NA are typically more TB friendly. That said, I have a registered and branded Holsteiner mare who is out of a TB mare. So it certainly can be done

Dansk Varmblod inspects TB mares and will approve them if they meet the standards for all mares. The US inspection tour starts in a week but I don’t see where you are located.
Erica

I’m bumping this, because for the first time I think I have a mare of quality that stands a flying chance of being approved.

She is a 2017 mare, which means they went away from tattoos and just went to chips. What I don’t have on-hand are her papers, I was told they don’t do that anymore? I highly doubt that - can anyone confirm?

I have to say, reading through the above thread, I think I know most of the acronyms, but there are some that evade me.

She is a very hunter-type mare. Super sweet, very willing. Anyone done this that can offer tips?

I am pretty sure you will have to have her Jockey Club papers to get her inspected for AHS, GOV, Dutch, etc. You may be able to get her into lower books in some registries with no papers. You can always pull up the registry’s website and that information will be listed. So it would be beneficial to get her papers first.

I’ve been looking into this too, so far the registries I have checked have stated you need papers.

The Jockey Club is no longer issuing paper copies of papers. This is all really confusing, and when I tried to call the JC they were not helpful in the slightest, saying that I need to apply for a duplicate (a duplicate what, if there’s no hard copy??) and I need a notarized statement what happened to the old papers - “they were lost” is not enough.

I will say - trainers and owners of OTTBs that are bastards about transferring ownership info over - this needs to stop. Someone else legally owns the horse. The papers are like a title, they should be required to transfer it over - if that means a website click or a physical signature, so be it.

But them refusing to transfer ownership is ridiculous and has got to be illegal.

2 Likes

You are confused about the purpose of Jockey Club papers. They in no way resemble a title. They don’t prove, confer, or transfer ownership. They are merely proof that the horse is registered with the JC.

There is a reason why owners don’t always pass along papers with TBs once their time on the track is over. I explained it in your thread on the Racing Forum.

It’s a shame you purchased your horse “illegally” but that is neither the JC’s fault, nor their business.

2 Likes

Ha. Ok, look. I was told by a VERY reputable reseller that if she was chipped she didn’t have papers - they were digital.

And maybe if you understood the new system it literally says on the website “transfer ownership”. That’s on the jockey club website.

Having the papers in-hand absolutely does confer ownership. It also gives the horse a better chance for future endeavors, such as getting approved in various mare books.

With the previous trainer dead of a heart attack in his late 50s, my window of opportunity to find the truth, when I was bald faced lied to in regards to how I was supposed to get her papers, and obtain her papers was cut short. I was told verbatim “they’re online”. That turned out absolutely not to be the case, and I’m trying to rectify it now.

Write nice and big in a sharpie on them NOT TO BE RACED. Or make the Jockey Club rules on how to get a horse entered stricter. Holding papers hostage does nothing to further the breed.

1 Like

I’d imagine I understand the new system better than you think, considering that I’ve been using it to register and race TBs for the past three years. The papers–whether digital or paper–do not confer ownership to the holder. You can continue to argue about that, but it’s simply not true.

I have horses currently at the racetrack. Their digital papers are under the management/control of the track’s racing office. I could not retrieve those “papers” even if I wanted to, without the permission of my trainer and the racing secretary. They are not currently “my” papers. That doesn’t mean that the track or the racing office own my horses. That’s not how the system works.

It’s a shame you were given the wrong information by a VERY reputable seller but I don’t see how that makes it the Jockey Club’s responsibility to change the way they’ve done things for more than a hundred years.

Yes, you can certainly transfer ownership of a horse on the JC website. But doing so has nothing to do with where the horse’s physical or digital papers are located.

7 Likes

This is a bit of a tangent, but this isn’t the case in my area. I live in a brand inspection state and the only thing that proves ownership is a certified brand inspection with your name on it. Things may be different where you are though.

American Trakehner Association accepts Thoroughbred mares if they meet a certain score and criteria upon inspection. I got my OTTB mare approved this fall with the ATA.

3 Likes

I heard some rumors that ATA was falling apart? Are the doing mare inspections next year?

1 Like

Nope! I’m very involved with the ATA. We are going strong! Inspections are every fall. Feel free to message me if you have any questions :slight_smile: