Unlimited access >

Ghostzapper Sport Horses?

I’m going to look at a gelding by Ghostzapper next weekend. This is the horse: http://www.pedigreequery.com/my+man+zapper I haven’t found much information about Ghostzapper babies in sport. I did a USEF search and he’s had one foal do hunters with not much success and one do jumpers with limited success. Neither have been shown much. I’m looking at this horse primarily as a foxhunting ride, but would dabble in hunters or jumpers if he has aptitude. My farrier (who plays polo) has the horse and says he is gentle and easy to be around. Too tall for polo at 16.2, which seems huge for a 2yo TB. Farrier said he’s four, but Equineline and Pedigree Query say he was foaled in 2014, so is coming 3. I looked up Golden Missile as a sire in the USEF database and he has mostly dressage and hunter/jumper offspring. Only a couple did eventing and one of those switched to jumpers. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Ghostzapper probably doesn’t have too many in sport because they tend to do very well at racing. He’s a 2000 model and his oldest offspring were born in 2007 - in the sport world, that’s a relatively short time and not that much to make a big mark.

That being said I really liked the few Ghostzapper horses I knew. They’ll have good types consistently; they’ll be more noble in appearance IMHO but usually quite sturdy and not at all rangy; he very much takes after his grandsire, Deputy Minister. Relaunch is a very powerful line for sport; Ghostzapper himself has a good enough page for sport (including some very desirable eventing ancestors like Hawaii, In Reality) that I always keep my eye out for his kids when they’re available.

The horse you are thinking of… that’s a pretty good pedigree for sport too. I would expect a good moving horse out of that pairing. Golden Missile has some really nice moving horses - they’re also very intelligent and IME, sweet as can be.

I can see why he might not make a good polo prospect; if he’s sound I am sure he’d be just fine for foxhunting and eventing.

1 Like

Good temperament is a huge priority for me as a Whipper-In and generally liking kind horses, so this is great feedback! This guy lost the two races he ran, so good news for a short track career and (hopefully) soundness. Thanks so much for the info beowulf!

I would love to see his picture if you get him. :slight_smile:

[/img]

You have to use photobucket or a photo share site. If you are not a premium member you can’t post pictures

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz333/tntibbetts/My%20Man%20Zapper_zps0e5e0bnq.jpg

This is a link to the pic I have of him. He’s clearly still in track shape, but I think he will be lovely with some lbs!

There is something about his lower left front. Very long pasterns and he is either bowed or had contracted tendons. But it’s not straight.

His right is picked up but doesn’t look straight either.

Make sure you get a PPE

Zapper turns out to be an adorable mover and is super duper lazy, which is astonishing considering he’s been off the track only since November. Getting a PPE done today. If all goes well will post his videos.

Yay; I hope the PPE goes well. You can always post links to pics and videos using Facebook or a photo hosting site.

Passed the PPE! Only minor issues of being a bit sore from pulling his shoes off and has a small broken tooth that needs to be removed. Yay!

1 Like

Okay then, where are the pictures?? Congrats!

Congratulations!

1 Like

It isn’t the best video, but you can see how calm he is and he has a cute canter. Mind you this is barely 60 days after he left the track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkIZyU4H3ho

I’ll bet you could ride that canter all day. :slight_smile:

What a nice boy. Congrats!

Nice looking boy. I am glad he passed.

Your boy looks great. We bred a mare to Ghostzapper and got a colt who had a really wonderful temperament. He was game to try anything we asked him to do.

@LaurieB how old is your colt? Is he or was he on the track? I’d love to hear more about him.

This guy is pretty and I love his canter, but what sold me on him is how calm and sweet he seems to be. I bought him primarily for foxhunting, but am hopeful he may be able to jump around the hunter ring a little bit.