Unlimited access >

Girth

My horse adores the Stubben Equi-soft girth for his dressage saddle and though his traditional fleece elastic ended girth sort of works for his CC saddle, I can tell that he just doesn’t love it, and I feel like I have to tighten it a lot more to get his saddle to not feel somewhat slippy.

His saddle does fit nicely, he just has lost all of his withers since he has gained some…ahem weight and back muscle so I’d hate to have to strangle him just to feel like if I put too much weight in one stirrup accidentally we won’t lose the kit and caboodle.

He hates neoprene, so that’s a non-option, and is busting out of a 56" long girth. My current saddle has ridiculously short billets. So I need a very long girth.

The equisoft has that really nice wide area around his midsection, and I’m wondering if that’s what makes him happy. I’d go with another equisoft, but I need the length and I don’t see a model quite like that in the long. I’d hate to have to buy a monoflap with long billets just to accommodate his girth preference!

Any suggestions?

The only girth with a stretchy center that comes to mind is the one by Total Saddle Fit (website link). The biggest size they have is a 56 inch, but it comes lined with either fleece or leather.

There was a thread a little while back about options for 58"+ girths here if you want to take a look at options for bigger-sized girths.

1 Like

The Equisoft comes in a 57" length- it’s called the All Purpose Equisoft and if you’re in the US you might have to import one.

Mikmar Comfort Girth might be worth trying too.

2 Likes

Ahhh thank you Amberly - I thought I saw one in the original video ads and then couldn’t find it so assumed maybe I was misremembering. Looks like I’ll have to import it.

1 Like

I got one of these for my very sensitive, big moving hunter guy with huge shoulders in December, and the change in his ‘expressed’ comfort levels is amazing.
Moving great. Jumping great. Saddle never shifts at all.
Wish I’d found it sooner!

1 Like

I think Tad will make you a girth that large. His saddles aren’t for everyone but I really love his girths.

1 Like

If you’re looking for just a regular leather girth, Butet will do a 58”. That’s what I have for my guy so I feel your pain trying to find one that long!

2 Likes