Unlimited access >

Godspeed Teddy

[QUOTE=Lazy Palomino Hunter;4314314]
Call the people at the Shetland Sheepdog Club of Greater Baltimore! I adopted my sheltie (a mahogany sable- close to your tri!) from them 9 or 10 years ago- they’re wonderful to work with. Tell them what you’re looking for… I know they get a lot of rescues in and not all of them make it to their website.

I wanted a bigger sheltie, a young adult male, to do agility with. I emailed Rhonda Kidd on a Monday, and picked up Jack on Friday. He was the most WONDERFUL dog. He had a rough life before I got him (he was seized by animal control when they found his owners beating the living daylights out of him), but he was never anything but kind. He passed away in March at age 13. I miss him terribly. :sadsmile:[/QUOTE]

You had a magnificent dog there.
If you have papers, I would say there is some Pocono there, as he has their head and presence and those, especially males, were the most “honorable” dogs, I don’t know what other word fits them, you ever met.

Sorry he is gone.:cry:

Now, talking to the OP, looking for a dog, everyone likes a different type and I really like the lighter, less substantial shelties, that is why I had females, but dogs like the above are really better dogs, in the dog world and what many good sheltie breeders work for.
The disadvange as a show dog, they tend to go oversize.
I so think that for what you need, any dog or mix would be the best dog for you, since you are not going to show it where papers matter.
Go with what your heart settles for, when the time comes.:yes:

Not the greatest pictures but I wanted to share my old boy. He died before this computer so I didn’t have any on here so Hubby scanned the couple I could find without too much digging. You can see my lab’s butt in one of the pics, she is the one we just lost a couple weeks ago. The child in the pic is my now 18 year old soon to be college freshman. My how time flies! This was three houses ago!

Alvie1.jpg

Alvie2.jpg

1 Like

If all goes well at our “meeting” the little one on the bottom is ours a week from Saturday. He is getting neutered a week from Friday so we will come meet him and let him meet our Pom and see how it goes. Hopefully he will come home and complete our family! Thanks for your help.

20090809-Puppies.jpg

1 Like

Many people who buy (ANYTHING, not just dogs) on impulse may regret it.

But that has nothing to do with getting a dog (with due diligence) from a shelter or rescue.

Almost all of our dogs have come from a shelter or rescue, and we have no regrets about any of them.

He’s adorable! I have my fingers crossed for you! Ready for some fun with something adhesive to keep his ears looking perfect? :wink:

Your old boy was beautiful as well. They’re such great dogs… I keep saying that my next dog won’t be a sheltie, because it could never live up to Jack, but I have a feeling I’ll be returning to the breed sooner rather than later. :sadsmile:

Agreed. With both our dogs, I knew when I saw their pictures that we needed to go get them. NOW. The kitten found us and has been pretty determined to stay.

I looked on Petfinder off and on for months before finding Truman’s picture and having that feeling. Winston was a random glance on Craigslist in the pets section—some kind-hearted soul had posted pictures of available animals from a neighboring poor, rural shelter. Elinor followed us mewing very loudly, despite both dogs wigging out at her.

shrug Not helpful, probably, but just my experience. Good luck with your decision. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Lazy Palomino Hunter;4330197]
He’s adorable! I have my fingers crossed for you! Ready for some fun with something adhesive to keep his ears looking perfect? :wink:

Your old boy was beautiful as well. They’re such great dogs… I keep saying that my next dog won’t be a sheltie, because it could never live up to Jack, but I have a feeling I’ll be returning to the breed sooner rather than later. :sadsmile:[/QUOTE]

Definitely not messing with his ears. One of my favorite things about shelties is how they lay their ears back when they are happy, almost like a whole head smile. My plan is to keep him smiling for the rest of his life so his ears won’t be standing up much anyway.
They did say this guy was born with something wrong with his tail. Its crooked in the middle or something like that. As long as it isn’t causing him any pain it will stay that way. If it is hurting him at some point we’ll get it lopped off.

Ohmigod, that SMILE! and that little white snip on his nose! Could he possibly be any cuter?

Can’t wait to hear how he does meeting the family! He definitely looks like he’s going to be a fun one!
(and heck, a crooked tail just makes him that much more special - I’ve known several dogs with crooks or funny bends in their tails - and none of them have had any problems with them.)

[QUOTE=Lazy Palomino Hunter;4330197]

Your old boy was beautiful as well. They’re such great dogs… I keep saying that my next dog won’t be a sheltie, because it could never live up to Jack, but I have a feeling I’ll be returning to the breed sooner rather than later. :sadsmile:[/QUOTE]

They have a four year old blue merle that they are looking for the perfect home for. Perhaps we can enable each other?

Oh, I wish! Alas, I’m a poor grad student, and I already have two cats, an aquatic turtle, and a rat. My (also poor grad student, but non-animal-lover) roommate has threatened to build an ark and set me and all of my animals afloat in Lake Erie if I come home with any more. :lol:

(Of course, she said that before, and then I brought home the second cat. Luckily for her, our apartment complex says no dogs! A doggie will probably be my first investment when I finish my degree though :))

What an adorable puppy! I love Shelties, they just have such a happy look to them. Good luck with the new guy.

This pic came today! I can’t wait.

13RingoRun.JPG

1 Like

Oh, that puppy is adorable!

I am getting one from SunkissedAcres this weekend. I will post pics on Sunday!

Oh HE"S CUTE!!! Could you really say no to those endearing eyes!!! I hope the meeting goes well!

Congratualtions !!! BOY !!! DOES HE EVER PUSH THAT CUTE BUTTON !!!

Awww, he’s adorable!

When my border collie cross, Sparky, died I had to get a new dog quicker than I really wanted. My yellow lab was just beside himself. I looked at a number of different shelters and lab rescues for a female lab. I came home with a male American Eskimo Spitz. I love Casey dearly but don’t think I would ever go looking to get that breed again.

My yellow lab, Watson, died just over a year ago. I decided to get a male black lab puppy from a good breeder. Watson had hip & elbow displasia. I wanted to go through a breeder that got certs for the parents. Just like wendy said the breeder picked the puppy for us. I was very comfortable with this breeder and because she was 2 1/2 hours away we only got to meet the puppies one time before it was time to pick them up. We did get to specify male. There were 3 in the litter. Since this is a show bred litter the individuals that wanted show puppies were given preference to the show quality puppies. We just want pet quality.

I had a slight preference for one of the other males but is was the one the breeder kept for herself as a show puppy. We have now had Cooper for 4 weeks and love him dearly. On the other hand with any well bred labs you can’t go wrong. They are just such a forgiving breed.

I had decided on a black lab since I just couldn’t quite imagine having a yellow one in the house after loosing Watson. We still compare him to Watson. But is a fun way. Watson was still being carried down steps until he was 40 lbs. He had mental hangups about steps. Cooper was going up steps at 9 1/2 weeks and down steps by 10 1/2 weeks old. Cooper is much more athletic than Watson. It is more like remembering and comparing what Watson was doing at a particular stage compared to when Cooper does it. Cooper is way ahead of Watson on most things.

Good luck with your new puppy.

Three more days! They sent me a new pic today but it came through postage stamp size so not even going to bother to post that here. We are all ready for his arrival on Saturday. The last task was to boot the guinea pig out of the puppy crate where he has lived for the past 5+ years. How long do those darn things live anyway?
Immediately after we get him we are going to a pool party with him in tow. The next day my daughter and her pony club are going camping and cross country schooling at Olde Hope. We’ll see how he handles the day, if he is ok we will spend the night. If he seems overwhelmed with all the kids and horses we will come home and join them again in the morning. This is going to be fun!

Best of luck! He is just too darned cute for words.

As a plug, this puppy is coming from the SSCGB that was linked in one of the above posts. That just happens to be the same rescue that bdj gave me the contact info for although I didn’t find that out until later.
I filled out so many applications I think I my vet was starting to get pissed. He finally asked me “how many dogs are you trying to get?” because each of them made me fill out an app sometimes before they would even tell me what they had available. I figured it would be the same with this place but she said no, if we don’t like you, you aren’t getting a dog! She talked to me for quite a while and told me to expect to be at her place for a couple of hours as she saw how the dog got along with everyone including our Pom. Then we have to fill out contracts and the like. All in all this has been a pretty tough journey and I must admit at some points I thought about heading to PA to the puppy mill but I am glad I didn’t.
They have been wonderful to work with. Not sure what their requirements are about distance but if you are in the area and want a sheltie check them out. I heard there are more puppies on the way…