Unlimited access >

Going to look at an old tractor today

I briefly believed I wanted to wait until I saved enough money to purchase a tractor with a front end loader. Terrible plan. Its going to take far too long to get this property ready for horses without my own tractor. So, I’m off to go look at a Ford 8N. It’s affordable, in immaculate condition and close to home. I doubt I’ll lose any significant money if I decide to resell. Mr LS is more than capable of keeping it mechanically sound. My farm is flat and tiny. Even though I really want a front end loader, I believe this little Ford can be a great asset. I still have the majority of my fence posts that need setting.

Anyone have old tractor success stories to share? Favorite attachments?

We started with an old Massey Ferguson, who was a dutiful old soldier. It was a big help, we kept it in the same condition, did minor sprucing (new seat) and sold it (at a tiny profit) 4 years later to buy our current MF 40hp 4x4 with loader.

So, basically it worked for diesel, for years. I am not sorry, granted our life is soooo much easier with the loader, buying the old tractor was a good decision.

Good on you!, 8N’s are very well supported parts wise and repair processes well documented.

1 Like

Implements: a post hole auger, a wagon, a light drag, a medium drag, a box blade (if you are going to do grading) and a hayspear if you are using round bales. Bushhog and harrow if needed. The best one is a boom attachment. Cheap and super handy must have! Worth it’s weight picking up posts, holding posts. Don’t go crazy buying new implements that won’t fit your future tractor, haunt Craigslist and Facebook for used implements. We have found some deals used. Our auger was new, our medium drag new, the rest was used and much transfered over to the new tractor.

1 Like

This is Mr LS’s big thing. He can’t abide used equipment or vehicles that don’t have plentiful parts available.

I’ve not used a boom attachment. I’ll be looking into that ASAP!

We have been tossing around either a hay spear or one of those pallet fork looking things. We will get one or the other as being able to use rounds will save some dollars. I think the spear would be handier for hay but they don’t pop up used too often here.

For sure a mower of some sort.

My dad has an auger he doesn’t use so we may try to get away without purchasing one for a while.

I haven’t thought of a drag too much yet. But if you think two drags are good I will put some more looking into it.

I’d like a box blade and a rake of sorts as well. We have some pine trees on one side of the property and it’s a pine straw jungle over there!

Thanks for sharing!!

We have a Massey Ferguson T-20, 1946 vintage. And a Ferguson 35, 195? something vintage. And…and 2013 Massey Ferguson with a front end loader and backhoe. I am not mechanically inclined. I prefer the 2013 because I can never remember the order of gas, choke, key, etc. However, the T-20 in particular you cannot kill. We use it for running the brush hog in reclaiming pasture or the pasture drag. The 35 has the right gearing to run a spray boom and just putter along at the right speed. Both can run post hole augurs, manure spreaders, or anything else with a rear PTO connection. There is simply nothing on either the 20 or the 35 that is easily broken. We really do not need both of them…But dad loves the 20 and DH loves the 35…so, we have redundancy. However, they require a level of mechanical interest that I find difficult. I like the ability to simply turn the switch on the 13 and off I go. Also, being very petite and very light, I really struggle with the post WWII machinery, if you are not tall enough to reach the clutch, you simply are not tall enough and no wishful thinking can change that. Thankfully, both my father and my husband enjoy those older machines!
It sounds like you have the skills in your household to make an old tractor work well. I would say go for it!

1 Like

A landscape rake was awesome for cleaning up long mowed grass in my pasture. Hopefully it would work for pine needles too.

Remember you can rent implements too, don’t have to go crazy buying right away–especially if this might be an every 5 year project. Takes space to store all the things.

3 Likes

Luckily the Auger is the expensive one. On the new tractor with the loader we handle hay exclusively with the pallet forks. We “can stack” round bales so they are more stable.

With the old tractor the we used a tri spear as the rear did not have the maneuverability to make the forks easy to use. Just back up, stab the bale, lift, tilt and away you go. Make sure your new tractor is properly weighted in the front for safety!

I also highly recommend “Tractor Mike” videos on youtube. We learned so much about the tractors and better use of implements from those.

1 Like

Bought it! We love that is ready to go to work. I’m a taller woman and don’t anticipate any issues operating it size wise!

7 Likes

Ooh, that looks like a nice one.

I love that some of you are still employing these “old timers”

1 Like

Ooh nice! And newish tires! Those are a bear to change, if they haven’t been off in 40 plus years…

2 Likes

The nice thing about older tractors is the lack of computerization. Much more possible for them to be fixed and serviced by the owner, instead of having a dealership do the work. They aren’t as fancy as the new machines, but they are far more affordable to buy and to fix. And often it seems that older technology was built to last, while newer machines don’t last. Like cars these days. Our 90 horse JD is a 1976 model, hubby keeps it running and healthy for the most part. Been a great asset for us, very reliable and not expensive. We’ve had it 15 years now.

3 Likes

It was a really affordable piece of equipment all things considered! And it kind of matches our vibe here. 100 year old farmhouse, windmills and old hot rods lol

4 Likes

Yes! They aren’t brand new, but put on in last few months. Some minor scars but no weather wrinkles / dry rot. The electric has already been updated to 12 volt with new alternator and a modern ignition switch. Lights work. New gauges. New fluids and filters. New paint and decals. Starts and runs beautifully. Literally nothing to do to it but use it

That’s just a lovely tractor. Enjoy it!

Do be careful around the PTO. Modern tractors have a whole lot of safety built in that this one does not. Stay safe! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yup! Mr LS says the carborateur and or the distributor could fail and need replacing but other than those or catastrophic failure there isn’t much to go wrong. Given the reliable history of these guys we aren’t terribly worried about catastrophic failure.

It’s really in excellent shape. I’m very excited!

1 Like

We will be very careful. Mr. LS had a 9N as a young man and is delighted with the upgrades on this 8N. The addition of the running boards and improved seat are much appreciated. Thank you!

Nice buy!

I wouldn’t bother with a bale spear (unless your rounds are really small) since the 8N 3pt lift capacity is only 800lbs. Go with pallet forks, they will be far more useful for more tasks.

1 Like

I can get small ish rounds but maybe not under 800 lbs. Presumably I can strap and drag like I would with a pick up though.

I think the forks would be cool. Mr LS has his heart set on a scoop looking thing. I’m not sure what he intends to scoop with it but if it makes him happy…

Ty!

Be sure to snag a ballast box for the back, to go with your bale spear (or pallet forks, too.) You’ll need weight on the back to counter balance heavy stuff on the front. :slight_smile:

Oh–never mind–you’re not doing a FEL here, right? You might need some suitcase weights for the front if you have a spear on the 3 pt.

1 Like

We bought an older 8N and Mr. AH2 loves it. Bought a bush hog and auger for it, as well.

Ours looks very similar to yours, although the red parts on yours are blue on ours. It’s in the same great shape.

Didn’t have to break the bank buying it either, which was good because we’re certainly not rolling in money. It’s already more than paid for itself in the few short months we’ve had it.

It also has its own stall, where it’s parked out of the weather when not in use.

1 Like