Unlimited access >

Good 8' weighted split reins

So I’m new to western. After 50 years of riding sporthorses and saddlebreds, I’m loving riding western. So where does one find really good quality split reins? I’m looking for 8’, weighted reins. I’d love some direction.

I have several pairs I bought from Dennis Moreland Tack in Texas. I just called them and ordered on the phone. They do have a FB page. The quality is excellent.

1 Like

Definitely Dennis Moreland. They won’t be cheap but they will be excellent quality and last forever.

1 Like

Here to third the vote for Dennis Moreland! Excellent quality, fair price!

1 Like

Well, heck, now I have to go look up those reins!

Edit: Is he still in business? The website comes up saying he’s retired.

The other business Dennis Moreland started, and had to walk away from due to a divorce, was Cowboy Tack. Not sure of the status of that business, but they would have reins that would be very, very similar if not exactly like what Dennis produces or produced.

I have Cowperson Tack reins and Dutton reins. I prefer the Duttons, but the CTs may be a bit thicker.

I have Weaver Working Cowboy weighted split reins. I found mine in a local farm store, but here’s a link for online: https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Weaver_Extra_Heavy_Working_Waterloop_Tie_Split_Reins_8/descpage-WTEH.html?from=gshop&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsO7yk_Xv_QIVOy2tBh0iigzeEAQYBCABEgL-hPD_BwE

I have a pair of these - only found them once at a local co-op store. LOVE them.

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately Dennis Moreland is out of business as far as I know. I bought a pair of doubled and stitched reins from them last year, loved them, went to buy another pair, and couldn’t because they closed up shop in the two weeks in between.

Other retailers sometimes stocked Dennis Moreland reins and may have some left. The Saddle House comes to mind, but it looks like they’re sold out right now. Might be worth dropping them a line to see what they do have - their website isn’t always up to date.

Side note - IIRC Dennis Moreland reins were often 7-7.5 ft as they’re more cowhorse oriented, and 8ft will drag on the ground if you have a 14.2hh horse and ride with a shorter rein. He definitely made 8ft reins just double check the length if you find some and truly need the 8ft.

Unfortunately my favorite method of buying reins continues to be “go to a tack store and touch all of them” but that’s not always practical. Several of my other favorite reins are no particular maker that I found from random retailers at shows.

For 8ft+ reins a lot of the western pleasure orientated makers may have more options (Harris comes to mind) but it’s been a long time since I’ve been on that side of Western riding. What discipline you ride and the size of your horse makes a huge difference on what length you need. Reiners and cutters have smaller horses, but want to pitch the reins away and have more drape. Reined cowhorses are also smaller, but tend to ride with a shorter rein (and split reins are more for snaffle bits, then they move to romels with the curb). Pleasure horses are often 16+ hh and they want a drape so they want the longest reins in my experience. So it may be worth looking at saddle/tack makers for the disciplines that want a longer rein.

3 Likes

Avila Pro Shop (Joel Gleason) has a lot of options to select from.

I love the feel of my my Buckaroo Leather trail reins - I’d imagine their split reins would be great too.

https://buckarooleather.com/collections/reins

This is so true. I rode big bodied QHs for years. Now I have shorter, narrower, upheaded horses…and reins I can’t bear to shorten and cannot use :cry:

These are from Buckaroo Leather. They’re nice 8-ft. weighted reins, doubled and lined with soft leather. Triple thick from the bit to a ways back for the heftier weight. I have a pair and I figure they’ll outlive me.

2 Likes

Two years ago, I bought some lovely reins (and a headstall ) that were made by Martin Saddlery. They do also have a stitch down the middle of the reins. They were oiled already when I bought them, super soft, nice weight to them.

Rest of my reins, I can’t say I have a particular brand, but they are usually harness leather, and probably most of them are just the Weaver brand.

I did also get a pair (pretty sure it’s Weaver) of their oiled-type reins for showing, and they’re also super nice and super soft.

I ride a massive Paint. He’s easily 16 hands and just about that wide. Ands his neck is looonnng. Let’s just say that all my reins from my hunter bridles (both TB and warmblood) are too short. Go figure. So when I ride with 7 foot split reins, they really aren’t long enough.

1 Like

But definitely the only way!

Thank you all for the great information! The COTH hive mind wins again.

Are you wanting leather or would nylon work? I got myself a set of 8 foot split reins custom braided in our colors from a lady online. I can’t remember her name but I can find it and her shop if you want me to. My reins are an 8 strand flat braid that are good and heavy. These won’t work if you’re showing but if you just want something comfortable and sturdy for home/trail they’re amazing

I discovered that, too, with my Paint and the AQHA mare I showed. I had to order extra long hunter reins. The last pair came from Dover.