Unlimited access >

Goodbye, Teddy UPDATE: Hello, Bob

Teddy the 14-y-o cat went out for his normal stroll and came back about an hour later with no ability to use his hind legs. Somehow he managed to drag himself back to the house and up 8 stairs to the porch.

We went straight to the emergency clinic, where they determined that he was in the final stage of hear failure. This threw a clot that paralyzed him and filled his lungs with fluid. We euthanized him immediately.

He was such a character and I’ll miss him desperately, but he had a long and happy life until that final hour.

After a week of feeling such a vacuum in the house without Teddy, and seeing a plea on the news for cat adoptions in advance of kitten season, I went to the local municipal shelter and asked about senior cats or cats who had been there a long time.

There was a beautiful older dilute tortie, but her intake sheet said she needed to be the only cat, so that ruled her out. Then we came across Bob, a 5-y-o loaf-like tabby-and-white bobtail guy who had been there since November. The volunteer picked him up and he just oozed into her arms, and then oozed into mine. We looked at the intake sheet and he was listed as an already-neutered owner surrender who was good with cats and dogs. Bob’s fairy godmother flew by at that moment and I filled out an application. They called me 20 minutes later so I went back the next day to pick him up.

It’s honestly been the easiest cat introduction ever. I tried to keep in the hall bathroom to let everyone get used to each other under the door, but everyone ignored him and Bob was howling, so I opened the door after about an hour and he strolled out like he’d lived there forever.

Peach hissed once at him, and since then has been spotted eating side-by-side with him. Clem and the dogs have ignored him. And Bob just wants to sit in my lap.

He does have some sort of issue with his tear ducts going on, and I will get him in to the vet to get checked out this week, but this endeavor does seem to have a whiff of fate about it. I hope Teddy approves.

A look of absolute betrayal from Murphy two minutes after Bob strolled out of the bathroom.

He got over it.

Bob making himself at home.

56 Likes

I’m sorry. RIP Teddy.

2 Likes

I am so sorry! RIP Teddy!

2 Likes

Very sorry you lost dear Teddy. I am glad, though, that he made it home so that you have some closure knowing what happened and were able to ease his suffering. He had a long and happy life, and he was well loved. It doesn’t get any better than that for any of us.

12 Likes

I am so sorry, but like OR said, I am so glad he was able to get home so you knew what happened.

4 Likes

Godspeed, sweet Teddy.
Hope you can find solace that you were able to ease his final pain & give him release :disappointed_relieved:

Edit to correct typo

2 Likes

What a tragic shock! So glad you got to have him in your life. What a good cat.

1 Like

Oh Teddy you were such a good tabby RIP sweetie.

2 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry. Godspeed teddy, you were such a handsome guy.

2 Likes

:heart::heart::heart: Teddy :heart::heart::heart:. Deeply sorry for your loss. What a grand kitty.

2 Likes

Oh what a gent! You will be missed by your family Teddy. I’m sure you provided no end of stories and comfort to them.

So long good cat.

Hugs @chestnutmarebeware

2 Likes

Aw this is so sad, I’m glad he made it home to you. Against usual protocol, I spent most of this morning with my old tabby cat that could be his sister on my lap. All our sad and godspeed vibes are with you and Teddy.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry your Teddy is gone from your life.

I’m glad he made it home where he felt safe and was greatly loved.

You were able to say goodbye and see him on his way as you both got closure.

RIP Teddy.

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about Teddy. It is good that he made it home to his loved ones. Sending you hugs and jingles.
RIP Teddy.

1 Like

Aw poor kitty. I’m so sorry but I’m glad he made it home

1 Like

Awww, I’m so sorry :frowning:

1 Like

I am so sorry for you loss.

I am glad he was able to get home to you.

1 Like

Condolences on your beloved Teddy. I am so sorry that happened to him. Like others said, I am glad he made it home so at least you know what happened to him. He was much loved I can tell.

1 Like

So sorry about Teddy, but it sounds like he lived a grand life to the fullest.

1 Like

Godspeed sweet Teddy, you were very loved by your family

2 Likes