Grooms?

So if good grooms are worth their weight in gold, how come they are paid so little?

I, too, was offended by the original post. Who’s to say all the grooms are “Mexicans”? Who’s to say all the Mexicans can’t speak English? It was also always taught to me that the term “Mexican” refers to food, and the word “Hispanic” refers to people. I can’t believe that people don’t have respect for grooms, period, Hispanic or not. We had a “Mexican” where I used to board; he left everything to come to a “better life” with greater opportunity. He sacrificed more than anybody I have ever met, and he also worked harder than anyone I have ever met.

Also – what ever happened to people taking care of their OWN horses? I have never had the “opportunity” to have groom care at a show, we don’t have grooms at my barn. Seems to me it would take away something rather than add to it…

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 10-11-2000).]

Okay, Kelsy… I take your word for what you meant… I just got frustrated for a minute!

Remember, I’m on your side sugar!

I know indigineous tribes don’t like being called “Native American” or “Indian” because they are neither Americans (except by force) or Indians. Ask an individual to what tribe he or she belongs – Cherokee, etc.

But what is wrong with Mexican? Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a nationality. How else would one distinguish between Panamanians, Dominicans, and Cubans – and Mexicans? Sports announcers certainly distinguish between Latinos of different national origin.

Thanks for pointing that out Trixie. Insead of saying " I cant understand mine" or “mine don’t speek english” you should show a little respect for these hard working men/women and say “The grooms that work for us don’t speek english” You don’t own these people treat them with respect.

Thankyou Slugger! From someone that groomed for over twenty years on the A circuit, I found your post really moving. I worked SO hard for so long! It’s nice to see there ARE people out there who appreciate a good groom for the knowledge he or she has, not just their ability to work hard 18 hours a day…

So, is Anyplace Farm your maiden name or your married name?

Give the kid a break.

[This message has been edited by woodbern (edited 10-16-2000).]

I have to say I was rather speechless when I read the original posts and a couple of the earlier replies. I thought, “am I the only one that sees something wrong with this?”. Upon further reading I am glad to say I am not.

In the southern states, close to the Mexican border there is prodominatly spanish speaking communities. That is where the saying originates. However in these situations they do the jobs that Americans would not like to do in crampt accomidations and for very low money and incredibly long hours.
Now before I get really flamed here for that comment, lets remember that the poster, may not realize how wrong this type of thinking is. Ignorance is not bliss, and although we should not condone this type of thinking we should educate in an adult manner.
I myself would prefer “Groom” or “Hand”, rather than, the Canadian, Mexican, or any other slur that is less than curtious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anyplace Farm:
[B]Erin, your comments are definitely appreciated and I’m glad to hear you did at least get my email.

Woodbern - there is no need for me to start a new board, as I plan on continuing to read and post right here. This is not the first time an offensive post has shown up on the board and also not the first time ‘exercised’ comments have followed. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you stop to think that you are just as offensive as Kelsy, just in a different manner? Keep posting… but if Kelsy should watch what she says than maybe you should too. While you run to the defense of one group you risk smashing into another group at the same time. So how about walking? say what you want in defense of whoever you want … but does it have to be so mean? I guess that you think that that is how people change their minds… but it’s not!

[This message has been edited by rockstar (edited 10-16-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelsy:
[B]How many Mexicans does your barn usually bring? Do your Mexicans speak English? Only some of mine do so it makes it hard.

<3, Kelsey

[This message has been edited by Kelsy (edited 10-11-2000).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’m sure that you weren’t trying to sound rude, but that sounded awful. Maybe its just me, but saying “Mexicans” really sounds stereotypical. A lot of people do have Spanish speaking grooms, but first of all that doesn’t make them Mexican, and secondly, calling them grooms sounds so much better.

Sorry to single you out (you’re certainly not the first person that I’ve heard say that), but to me that’s really rude.

Kelsy posted several things which revealed a frightening degree of elitism. Kelsy has been very fortunate in her birth, she obviously has not a worry in the world about having a roof over her head or food on the table. I suspect that Kelsy is usually surrounded by others like herself who speak as she does. Oblivious to the tone of classism, snobbishness, and racism she made clear on this board. Or perhaps those who would know enough to correct her might be intimidated by her family. Her family, well, maybe they are too busy. Whatever.

When you post to a BB your words are recorded, no one can wonder “did she really say that?”

But without meaning to Kelsy has done a very good thing. It’s made many people aware of the attitude that many of us have, without thinking about, not meaning to, towards those who work as grooms. They are people.

I hope that Kelsy and everyone who has read this thread thinks twice about categorizing people, and as difficult as it may be, try to imagine walking a mile or two in their shoes, before you get into that Beamer that you got on your 16th birthday.

I just remembered another post I wanted to reply to. Someone asked…“why is it that horses always behave better for the Mexicans than anyone else?” The answer: because the “Mexicans” actually spend time with them! Go hug your horse.

Boy, go away for a weekend and look what happens on my favorite BB!

Regardless of how it was originally meant, by now Kelsy has really had it handed to her, so I vote for moving on. Also, Kelsy, I agree, you don’t have to apologize anymore for being young and not saying things in a PC manner. I’m sure after this, you’ll be much more PC (at least here )

Ironically, tonight I was at a gas station/mini mart chain when the cashier, a young man about 16, responding to something happening at another register said loudly, “That’s just like a MORMAN, always trying to rip you off!” I looked over and two Morman missionaries were leaving. I was HOT HOT HOT! You should know I am not a Morman; Christian only by upbringing, not practice, but I despise discrimination and the SHEER IGNORANCE that allows it to continue. As I stepped to the register, before I paid him I looked him right in the eye and in a voice my students would have begun melting into the ground upon hearing, told him that I was VERY offended at his remarks. That they smacked of racism, ignorance and intolerance and had NO BUSINESS being voiced in a public place. He tried to explain that he was just kidding, and even said he was a Morman, and I told him that didn’t change things, one: because no one could tell he was kidding and two: since Mormans look just like the rest of the WASP population how were the customers to know what his personal faith was? I hope he got the point.

Right on, Jo! That is exactly the response I hoped my post would get!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:
Canter, I think you pretty much have it down, except that I would change “b” to say “certain sectors” of low paying industries. Meaning if you have a choice between an ag job at $10/hour or Burger King at $10/hour, the average American seems to prefer BK as a jop opportunity. Personally, I didn’t last more than 2 months in the fast food industry when in HS/College… in short order I found myself working either in a feed store or back at the farm/track… of course, I have NEVER fit the profile of an “average” American <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DMK you’re so right! 20 plus years ago I chose the job mucking stalls at 2 bucks an hour over the Royal York Hotel Chambermaid job at $3.50 per hour plus tips.

Give me equine cleaning anyday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erin:
Guys, please turn the discussion away from each other. Be nice, or I’ll pull the plug… I’ve used up all my patience for the week.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erin- I’m sorry I had no idea that I’d cause trouble. I thought I was starting conversation… SORRY

When possible I perfer half-care to self-care (though I don’t turn down assistance). I just have ‘control & delegation’ issues. God help the groom who did something wrong. Even with grooms along I like to do it myself if possible. It is my way to relax and prepare for the division. I also constantly check & re-check myself. I know I am nurotic outside the ring. But, knowing I have done everything possible to prepare for the class and everything that can be controlled has been done allows me to just enjoy the ride in the ring win, lose or draw.

Of course I am the same way at home so it is just a natural reaction for me. All I know is that I don’t have any worries once my butt hits the saddle.

Shelli

Flash, while some farms might be able to afford it, most horse barns don’t have a very high profit margin. It’s a very high overhead business and a lot of farms have to struggle to meet expenses.

I took care of four horses (all care, grooming and tacking) and showed one in Wellington last year. I exercised one of the others all the time, and the last two when necessary.

By the last two weeks, I told my trainer she needed to get someone else to be her slave - two of the horses were hers - she was getting paid to have one there, but I didn’t get any credit for my work - hmmm. Not good.

The third horse was my sale horse who did not get sold. She did hire someone at that point to do her stalls, but I still did most of the everything else.

It was a lot of work! My only regret was not getting the chance to go watch as much as I wanted.

I would really rather do my own horse(s). That way, I know exactly how each one is every day, and I know what they need and when they need it. I think that is a major part of being a horseperson.

Had braiding been a necessity (we do jumpers, so it wasn’t), I would have done that, too.

By the way, we did have a very successful trip!

There is a difference between being good at your job and being knowledgable. How many grooms have taken college level courses in anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, nutrition, chemistry (necessary in today’s show ring!), etc? I’m sure some have, but the majority have not. While we are on the subject, how many trainers have that kind of education?

Meanwhile, grooms are usually the first people who raise the alarm when something is wrong with a horse. Who is looking after your 6 figure show horse during the time it takes for the vet or trainer to show up? What is that person doing during that time to help save your horse’s life or usefulness? maybe if that position paid more, people with more knowledge would be willing to do a good job, instead of those who lack the education to get a better paying job.

I know that a lot of grooms know a lot about the care and well being of horses, but how did they get that knowledge? In a classroom at an accredited university? On the job? Whose horses were they looking after while learning to do the job?

Maybe if trainers spend a little less on tack stall decorations, potted plants, chrome trailers and white polos, they could “afford” to pay their help better.