Guide to all things Pony? - and, meet Grundy

So, I bought a pony. She’s 13.2hh, 3 years old, might grow some but probably not much. She’s got a jug head for her size, but even cob stuff she’s swimming in.

Help me - where is the best place to buy pony tack and gear? What brands are good quality, even in the smaller sizes?

Grundy thanks you in advance!

39 Likes

Love her! It’s been a few years since I had my last pony….he was probably about the same size as she is. I bought a lot of his tack and wraps and clothes and stuff at just for ponies
https://justforponies.com/

9 Likes

She’s pretty! Good luck with her.

1 Like

She looks to have some Hackney.
My own 100% Hackney is the same height.
He was 10 when I got him, turned 24 in March.
He was trained to drive, but is strictly decorative for me.
He wears a Shetland sized halter I got in Holland, so not much help for your search.
I’ve heard good things about Patty’s Pony Place & for high-end Driving: IVC Carriage.
Blankets came from Smartpak & Dover.
Himself:

16 Likes

With how she likes to put her head/neck and how she’s finer than the quarter ponies I’ve met, hackney wouldn’t surprise me! We’ve been learning that the answer to every question isn’t “head in the sky” lol

Thanks all, for the resources.

7 Likes

She’s cute! I’ve always had ponies from teeny to about 14 hand and my go-to places have been Just For Ponies, Dover, Big Dee’s. I’ve had great luck with Saxon blankets fitting my all my ponies. Weaver halters once you get the size right are a good fit (they go by weight which can be tricky to figure). My POA/quarter pony was 13.3 and wore a “large pony” size bridles, I forget what the brands were, one was “Bobby’s” maybe, and the others were just inexpensive bridles. It WAS difficult to fit a bridle to her, she had a very wide brow and I think I had to order browbands one size up. It was the same with a grade Morgan pony I had too, he also had a wide forehead.
Good luck with her, ponies are fun!

2 Likes
11 Likes

Passier and prestige both do pony tack through their website I believe. Collected pony has a really nice assortment of items too

4 Likes

For me it was un-learning Knees to Nose :roll_eyes:
Pony thought I was nutz when I asked for long & low on the longe.
I UnHackneyed him :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

If she is fine built, the best thing to do is call Bartville in PA and get it all custom. Its not expensive and is quality, I believe they make Nunn Finners leather goods or used to.

Clicker training is the way with hackneys. They are very quick learners if you are positive.

2 Likes

She’s fine everywhere but her head. It’s quite coarse. She’s a quick learner, that’s for sure!

1 Like

What a cutie!

She’s the same height as my Honcho pony! I have to measure his head five ways from Sunday to order him anything. Some of his stuff is large pony sized, Arab sized, cob sized … Fortunately he’s big bodied and fits in regular 69” blankets ok.

The just for ponies site has some cute stuff. When I’ve poked about on UK based sites they seem to keep lots of pony sized items too. But I just measure and browse everywhere.

1 Like

Shires Equestrian

1 Like

Just For Ponies is a good go-to for all things little.

I’ve found for blankets, it’s helpful to find ones labeled as pony blankets specifically, not just ones in shorter sizes. Otherwise often they are pony-sized in length but not in height so they come down way too long on bellies. I have a small pony and I like Amigo and Mio blankets best for her. I tried a SmartPak blanket for her and it was so long it could have kept her knees nice and toasty. It was a 60” blanket that was cut for a 16h horse.

I have two Smartpak pony bridles, both Plymouths, and they’re both wildly different in size. They were purchased two years a part. One fits the small perfectly, one fits mediums and dainty larges. The quality is decent for the price but I hesitate to recommend them because I don’t know what fit you’d get!

3 Likes

I measured for girths yesterday - got 20-22 for dressage/short girth and a 46 for jump. Does that sound about right? I feel like the jump might be long.

For what it’s worth, my 14.1 hand Arab (fine boned but not tiny if that makes sense?) wears a 42 girth with an all purpose saddle (GFS VSD Pro).

1 Like

I’ve used a 18" dressage girth on my 13h - 13.2h welsh b’s and c cob and currently have a 46" that fits my 14 to 14.2h ponies (half welsh). My 14h pony is quite refined (looks like a fine built medium pony - wears a 66" blanket) so as long as your medium pony has a decent sized barrel, I would think the 20 dressage and 46 jumper girth should work.

Cute pony! Enjoy!

1 Like

The jump sounds long but maybe she is thicker than she looks in the picture.

My pony has a weird head, large pony sized browband, large pony crown, small pony cheeks and throat latch cut down to small pony sized. Then his nose band is small pony length but almost mini sized around his tiny little nose.

Just for ponies is great especially for blankets, halters, etc. They don’t piece together bridles so was cheaper to have it custom by Amish vs buying 3 bridles.

2 Likes

I guess I should mention the saddle has short flaps - that may be where the length seems long in my head. I think I’ll order from one of the sellers that has free returns for sized items - that’s one thing I’m not really willing to buy used is a girth.

And noted on blankets for ponies! I haven’t even measured her for one yet.

Grundy, you’re getting expensive for a cheap pony lol

2 Likes

She wouldn’t come in from the pasture last night so I locked her out there for a few minutes. Cue panic! She’s a fancy mover when she’s fired up, and I hope she learned to follow the crew into the paddock. :slight_smile:

4 Likes