Guide to all things Pony? - and, meet Grundy

So I gotta ask… what brought this about?? What is her story?
She’s cute!

1 Like

Just looking for something to bomb around on the trails with, and I like bringing along young horses. Shayney will not be the one to be able to trail ride solo, and that’s what I’m looking to do.

If Grundy can do it (which based on initial evaluation, she will!), great! If not, great! I’ll get her a little more educated and move her along. I’m done-done with big horses, my new absolute max is 16hh but prefer smaller, and was planning on something smaller to be able to better share with my nephews anyhow.

As to her history, the guy I bought her from was feeding me a line so I have no idea. They claim she’s got 90 days on her, but admitted they threw a saddle on her and got on her day 1 - so, she’s being treated as a full restart. After seeing the conditions she was in, there was no way I was going to leave her - I’m a bleeding heart. The only thing remotely accurate is her age - definitely baby teeth and caps still to come off so 3ish is a good estimate.

Today is day 5 of the Powerpack, and I’m getting things put together to be able to start ground driving her once the girth gall fully heals. She’s brave, retains her daily groundwork lessons, and seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

14 Likes

She measured as a 66 for blankets, I think I’ll get 69 because she’s going to grow some and fill out some.

Grundy pics. Braided her mane to try and get it to lie on the other side before I cut it. Her feet are a mess, super unbalanced and she seems uncomfortable on them.

All the bite marks are Shayney. She alternates between loving Grundy and abruptly biting her. Not nice, but I’ll take it over kicking. I’m wondering if Grundy can’t accurately read Shayney’s body language with the fly mask on.

22 Likes

Yep. I have Arabians, and this is a constant struggle. Why are size 68 blankets cut for 17+ hand horses? That would be a strange looking critter. Most (but not all) of the Schneiders styles are appropriately scaled per blanket size. In any of the Rambo/Rino/Weatherbeata/etc. types, though, you will need to be sure to get a pony cut if you don’t want the blanket to drop down below the pony’s knees and hocks.

For English tack and basic supplies, justforponies.com is good. I ride western, so I have to get almost everything custom made. :upside_down_face: In the western world, “pony” sized tack is made for minis/smalls, and every other horse is assumed to be standard-sized.

1 Like

The girth gall looks nasty, but otherwise she looks like she’s in good condition. Hopefully her feet are just a bad trim that can be fixed.

1 Like

I just learned this - ordered a pony sized el-cheapo western headstall, took it out of the box and took one look at it and said “nope!”.

That’s alright, I truly wanted a biothane one so I’ll keep looking.

I swung up on Grundy today, patted her all over, and swung back off. She was good about it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

She’s ribby but not too bad, lacking all the good muscles, and was full of worms because they dewormed year round with ivermectin because it’s cheap. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Aww, I love her. She has a kind eye. She’s going to polish up nicely!

2 Likes

She was a little demon last night - stole the scissors out of the bale of hay I was putting out and was gleefully running around with them. Bad Grundy! No running with scissors!

26 Likes

The front end looks like there is a strong Quarter Horse influence and maybe the back end too. I am not sure where the head is coming from. Maybe draft? Got some pony blood in there too - she looks like she will be a horse body on shorter legs when she grows up and fills out and will fit any size of rider except extremely tall ones.

1 Like

My bigger pony was 13.2, with pony legs, a short back and a huge barrel. It was so hard keeping a blanket on him because the ones that fit his bulk practically dragged on the ground. My Hackney pony was so much easier to fit, as he was 12.2 and very proportional.

Rebecca

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I thought. But I thought that the face could be, too.

1 Like

That’s what I’m thinking - a no-name quarter pony.

2 Likes

An odd thing just happened to me.

Looking at Grundy’s pictures I got a definite impression that Grundy WANTS a finer, lighter, somewhat smaller halter. One that would emphasize the beauty of her head.

I did not see any hills in your pictures. I sure hope you have some available as hilly pastures are the best at building a correctly muscled body.

2 Likes

It’s on order, I’m using what I’ve got.

And no, this is middle Illinois, devoid of all substantial hills. We have absolutely no change in grade here. But good news, just her eating at or below her chest should undo a whole lot of that under neck muscle. :wink:

3 Likes

Grundy learned about being sprayed today. She had her little moment but settled fast and earned her snacks by standing nicely with her head down.

9 Likes

I foresee an amazing transformation of Grundy this year!

You do good work with your horses.

3 Likes

I love her! She’s just my size. Do you ever wonder about getting a 2 in 1 package when you get a mare with an unclear history?

8 Likes

Staaahhhhppp

Don’t curse me with that.

(But yes, I’m panicking a little)

10 Likes