Guide to all things Pony? - and, meet Grundy

lol… sorry! But a little Grundlet would be cuuuuute! And would be in very capable hands.
Now I’ll run for cover !

7 Likes

You know, I had that same thought. . . her belly . . . :smile:

6 Likes

Yep… same.

2 Likes

puts fingers in ears lalalalala

Nope nope nope

5 Likes

Raise your hand if you’ve gotten a 2 for 1 package in the past. :raising_hand_woman:

:rofl:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Congrats! She is adorable. And one lucky pony.

Oh yeah, I was going to give a shout out to Just for Ponies. Also, the Horsewear pony lines have become my favorite blankets.

9 Likes

I’m going to have to dive down the pony blanket rabbit hole here shortly. I got quite a few things from Just for Ponies, and Fundis had a lot of the higher end bridles in pony size in stock too.

3 Likes

She could or could not be preggers but my problem child has a bigger belly than that and she is definitely not pregnant. She gets one every summer and I will admit I was really worried the first time because she had been gone for the previous summer to get started. Nope. She just never met a blade of grass she doesn’t like. Some horses just love their roughage, and it shows in their figure.

1 Like

One of my ponies looked like that, but I never worried about a pregnancy since it was a gelding. People were constantly asking me when “she” was due when we drove around my neighborhood.

Rebecca

5 Likes

Yay! How sweet she looks!

I have a slightly larger “honey” (14.3 Connemara-Appendix). He has two bridles, both are “cob” sized but require a “full/horse” sized browband. Be prepared to mix and match as needed. I have found Amerigo and KL Select to have high quality tack with the availability to mix and match. His dressage girth is about 20"-22", so your girth measurement seems ok.

For blankets, I have had good fits with the Horseware Amigo Bravo line (69"-72") for my guy.

Consider Royal Equine (https://shoproyalequine.com/) They have tons of great stuff in cob/pony sizes.

1 Like

check local 501. horse rescues we found one that about Four Hundred blankets that had been donated that were not needed so they were selling

(we were there to buy a new set of harness that had been donated that they did not need)

1 Like

:raising_hand_woman:
Me…the plus one was a mule!

It was my first horse. I was 14 years old (1970). That was fun because of course my parents were humoring me with the horse. They didn’t want one, let alone 2. The mule was never weaned until I sold her at 13 months. I kept waiting for the mare to kick her off but no. I had no trailer and could not find pasture within riding distance but far enough that they couldn’t hear each other. I tried multiple different things that I could. A wire ‘muzzle’ with the ends turned up…she just smashed it down on the fence. 3 inch nails embedded in the nose of a leather halter…she would just get down on her knees and go straight up without poking Mom. Udder covered with Vaseline then cayenne pepper on top…she apparently found that quite delectable and just nursed anyway. Our pasture was dissected by a 4 foot irrigation canal. We put mare in the back half and mule in the front half with a barrier on each side of the canal…a good 4 1/2 in height. That worked for about 2 hrs then mare started running around and mule went over the barrier (onto a bridge :grimacing:) on her side and under the one on the other side. Damn she could jump. I finally gave up and sold the mule. That weaned her.

It would have been much better as a first time juvenile horse owner whose parents wanted nothing to do with horses to not have the complication of another equid however everyone survived. I sold the mare before I went off to college and found a free lease for my summers during school.

endlessclimb I really hope there is no plus one :crossed_fingers:.

Susan

4 Likes

@Kyrabee what a story!

I’m so excited to see @endlessclimb’s new mule baby. :rofl:

Kidding, kidding…

9 Likes

The first thing I noticed in your first picture was your extremely spotless and empty garage! I was thinking did you just move in? Then in the second picture I realized your clutter was hidden behind a pony belly! (it’s still nothing compared to the clutter in my garage).

As for girth size, she does seem to have a substantial body so maybe a 46" is possible. My last 13.2 hand pony wore a 42". Just get a couple of the cheaper synthetic girths about 4" apart and they’ll probably work as she grows or builds muscle.

One pony blanket that I would NOT recommend is the Rider’s International by Dover. I actually like their blankets for horses just fine, but when I bought a pony sized one, it was just shorter and had an enormous neck hole that the pony’s shoulders fit through.

4 Likes

A horse-exoerienced friend met my Hackney gelding & asked “When is she due?”
Yes, I have the World’s Fattest Hackney :disappointed:

ETA:
:thinking: @endlessclimb Did Seller have a donkey onsite?
Kidding! mostly :smirk:
By any chance did Grundy come from one of Lenny Bertrand’s auctions?

6 Likes

I’ve had that problem with Schneiders and Derby House blankets in pony sizes. Made worse by the fact that I’m blanketing a donkey with zero chest.

3 Likes

I have no idea. She was in Morris IL (Grundy county…).

@Mango20 my husband and I are neat freaks, but we’re redoing the electrical and painting the garage. Clutter doesn’t exist here haha

I got her first english bridle in, need to put a bit on it and see how she behaves for bridling. She is a little jumpy around her muzzle, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they just muscled it on.

So, not Lenny.
His place is in Watseka.

1 Like

They said they picked her up in Wisconsin. But with some other things the guy said/did, who the heck knows.

Grundy got seen by the farrier today. They had trimmed too much toe off, which combined with my limestone explains why she kept parking her front feet out. Based on the forecast for more hot and dry weather, I elected to put front shoes on her to let the tenderness grow out. She was pretty good, did a little rocking back and forth but thought it out and didn’t give the farrier grief. He likes her. :slight_smile:

She will continue to do nearly zeros, just basic baby stuff, maybe I’ll take her for a trail ride if she vaguely steers and stops.

12 Likes

Grundy is adorable! Congrats! It will be fun to follow the adventures with her. Hot and dry is right. Shoes were a good call.

2 Likes