Guide to all things Pony? - and, meet Grundy

This is a pony bridle, on the last holes for almost everything. :frowning: I dont love the way it fits.

I think I have a betweener-sizes pony. :frowning:

4 Likes

Cob?

1 Like

The cob sizes I have of bridles she’s swimming in. I could try a different style/brand in cob, I suppose.

Ohhh been there done that with my 13.2 hand pony Wish. My namesake. Wound up having to measure and order a Franken bridle. Headstall larger than noseband. And the ears. You have to accommodate the ears. I think in the end I bought a lovely old Courbette pony bridle and pieced together head stall from my horses.

3 Likes

But that face! What a cutie!

Rebecca

2 Likes

Why I had to go custom for my pony. They come in weird sizes. :slight_smile:

She looks better already.

1 Like

She is a cute little thing!

2 Likes

She’s certainly rowdier! I’m glad to see it, a 3 year old isn’t supposed to be placid all the time.

The girth gall is almost healed, I should be able to get to ground driving by the end of the week I hope, and maybe take her for a short spin.

1 Like

If it doesn’t need to be leather, Two Horse Tack makes biothan bridles custom. I really like the combination halter bridle for trail rides.

She’s super cute! Glad she’s starting to feel spunky.

3 Likes

Collegiate comfitech, cob. :+1:

Kavalkade Ivy (??) cob. :-1:

Grundy is not thrilled with a 4am bridle fitting sesh. :rofl: (and yes, that clock does not keep time and I need to get a new one, haha)

8 Likes

Oh! I have a Nunn finer cob I can try too.

I guess I assumed since she was swimming in a cob halter she would be swimming in cob bridles. Maybe that won’t be the case for every brand!

1 Like

Ugh, no, it’s just like trying on women’s jeans. Who the hell knows how they’re going to fit brand to brand.

The Comfitech looks good on her!

11 Likes

Ponies don’t come in normal sizes.

I just picked up new halter for the Hackney - it’s a weanling size. His head is way too small for most pony halters, but too big for mini halters. Most of our bridles are half mini/half pony. The only place I’ve blankets that fit are Radon. Their custom sheets and blankets don’t cost much more than off the rack.

Chimacum Tack is a good place for smaller stuff. Herron’s Tack is also good. Both of them lean more toward harness, but have general stuff as well.

I have to echo what was said about Dover’s blankets. They fit my big bodied pony (the one who can wear a horse size surcingle) fine, but on the Hackney, the sheet came down to his knees.

1 Like

She looks good in the Comfitech! Did you keep it?

I agree that brand to brand it’s like trying on women’s clothing. Ugh. I just bought a Large form fitting t-shirt last week and my SO held it up and asked if it was for a child… I said welcome to women’s clothing.

I wish I held onto the Passier arabian dressage bridle I had. I think it would look flattering on her face. I gave it away a few years ago though.

2 Likes

I sympathize. I have a corse…somewhere between cob and horse and to find one bridle of either that fits is hard.

2 Likes

It was mine for my Old Man horse, it will be reallocated to her! The Old Man can keep the Ivy bridle - it’s not great leather but I don’t ride him anymore really so that’s ok.

The only other cob I have is a Passier. I will try it on her but she can’t have it. It was my late mare Confession’s, it was supposed to be her show bridle but I lost her before I could use it. It’s been ridden in once for one lesson I took before she was gone.

Jokes on me though - I assumed she was a pony size so I have a couple more bridles coming in that size (dyon, passier). I’m thinking the Passier pony might fit, their cob is huge. Dyon I’m not sure, I’ve never had one. The pony one in the pictures is a Collegiate and will be returned. I’m in touch with ovation - I have a horse size hunter bridle of theirs that is downright lovely for the price - I’ve got my fingers crossed that their cob will fit, waiting to hear back.

1 Like

For blankets, I’ve got Smartpak ones on the way. I’ve had great luck with their 10 year warranty, so if they fit ok that’s the brand I’ll stick with. If they don’t- down the rabbit hole I shall go.

42 girth for jump saddle fit pretty well, would be on the second holes both sides at full tightness.

22 for dressage was on the last holes, will have to try a 20, I hope it works because an 18 will put the buckles at her elbows and that’s a no go.

When I bought harness and a cart for my Hackney pony, it was pretty easy. When I did the same for my larger grade pony, an ex-Amish guy I know put together a biothane harness that fit his weirdness. The bridle was horse size but the bit was pretty small, the girth was horse size but the breeching was pony size. Amazingly, I ended up with harness that fit him perfectly, as well as the cart being well balanced.

I was super careful when measuring, and checked the numbers three times. Harness is too expensive to screw it up.

Rebecca

2 Likes

I had a really nice Weatherbeeta blanket that fit my Hackney pony perfectly. He was very delicate looking. I think I used a weanling halter on him (it’s been a long time).

Rebecca

2 Likes

Weanling is too small on her. I need to find a yearling one.