Guide to all things Pony? - and, meet Grundy

More bridles -

Nunn Finer cob (has full browband) :rofl::-1::-1::-1::-1:

Dyon pony. VERY unimpressed with the leather quality for the price. Fit wasn’t right, last holes on some and just looks funky. :-1::-1::-1::-1:

Passier pony. My favorite overall but the cavesson still isn’t quite right, on the last hole and a bit low yet. I’ll keep it, but will order a new cavesson. :+1: (ish)

And a general picture of Ms. Grundy. She’s shaping up slowly.

16 Likes

That Nunn Finer! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My favorite on her is still the Collegiate!

3 Likes

That one for sure fits her the best, buckles all relatively even etc. I want a dressage bridle and a standard cavesson “hunter” type bridle and a biothane one for trail riding.

((((I have a problem))))

6 Likes

Two Horse Tack helps me with my Biothane Bridle needs.

I share your problem. My tack room is full… Both of them…cough cough

3 Likes

I have an order coming from them now lol

My husband just rolls his eyes on the number of packages rolling in haha

2 Likes

What a patient girl!

2 Likes

I think that a simple and traditional dressage bridle would suit her vs the anatomical ones or more bulky designs. Vespucci comes to mind (I have one), because it’s good quality, and such a simple classic design. Only comes in cob and horse though.

Collegiate has a similar simple design:

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/collegiate-cc-padded-raised-cavesson/E022900%20PNY%20BLK/?&srccode=GPSLT&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28W2BhC7ARIsAPerrcJU5-OA86MZSIFiy_92LtUYc-lBZQM9buLIV87_Y5TyWtPQ4WDwSJYaArGkEALw_wcB

Stubben too:

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/stubben-rfs-leitrim-bridle/E033919%20PNY%20BLK/?&srccode=GPSLT&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28W2BhC7ARIsAPerrcKw8OtZsm85_3CvRkfJIXlYBYOZpKMIYUvEirT5cRaRKXgKxtUov3oaArGNEALw_wcB

Dobert or Kieffer might have simple designs in smaller sizes, but I’m not sure.

I don’t know if what I suggested would be what you’re looking for, but just wanted to throw it out there.

4 Likes

I’m certainly not looking for wide nose anything, it would cover way too much of her face. Collegiate seem to run small, which works well for me.

@Jarpur ohhhh there was 3 year old angst haha. She did pretty well though. I haven’t started her longer tying sessions that teach them “park and wait” better than anything else, so I can’t expect her to know any more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would you say your vespucci cob runs big? I had one waaayyyy back in the day and I thought it was big but things may have changed.

Yeah, I’d say that their sizing is generous.

Darn. Ok. I need all brands that have super small cob size. That seems to be where she fits best!

It’s a minefield out there. I had a horse that could go cob or horse depending on the brand. Or some parts cob and some parts horse. It was frustrating at times!

I know there are some manufacturers that sell by the piece so you can piece together something if needed.

5 Likes

I can’t get the flexible fit we site to be coherent on my phone, I thought they did that. I’ll have to try on my laptop

My TB is also between cob and horse and I really appreciate my local Amish leather workers. I get something close and then have it customized, usually just shortening the cheek pieces, but it makes life so much easier.

Maybe you could find a local leather repair person that could tweak the fit on bridles that are close and just need some minor adjustments.

2 Likes

There used to be a guy right up the road but he retired. :frowning: I’ve not had a need to find anyone since but now I do, ha.

1 Like

We hauled to a trail this morning for a long hand walk, and to play in the river.

Grundy learned lots of things. 1) I’m not negotiating the speed of our walk, get up here or youll get the rope thrown at you. 2) quitting after a mile and trying to turn back to the trailer is also not a negotiable item. 3) not every time I swing the rope is it aimed at you, read my energy (I swing it to get spiderwebs down lol). 4) trotting to get ahead of me and add some extra slack in the rope doesn’t earn you a quick snatch of grass (she’s a smart one haha)

She decided she didn’t want to get in the trailer on the ride home. 10 minutes of working on it and she was in, and then we got in and out 5 more times, and 5 more times when we got home. She earned her snacks today, and was over all a VERY good girl. I think she’ll make a good trail friend!

30 Likes

Beautiful view! I have been meaning to do the same with my 2yo all summer; get out and handwalk the trails.

And you know, PONY is a four letter word. :rofl:

4 Likes

Grunnnndyyyyy! Yay! And she did this horse solo? If so excellent. I :heart: your new pony.

4 Likes

Yup! I tend to start them solo if at all possible, group riding comes later. Shaney, even with over a hundred of miles of handwalking, was still spooking at the same things, so I started group riding with her (she still was iffy). Hence my resignation that it wasn’t ever going to happen, at least safely.

Grundy I’d ride on the next one if she was more fit. For now, we will work our way up - maybe I’ll ride half and hand walk half!

5 Likes

That’s so smart really because you become her sense of safety. Her reassurance. Job well done! :+1:.
(I know you know this… your pony landed in the best home )

2 Likes