Guide to all things Pony? - and, meet Grundy

I was just coming in to mention Bobby’s. At one point I bought a cob Bobby’s bridle and ended up selling it to one of the Arabian owners at my barn because it was too small for my very cob-sized mare.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not the only one that throws halters. :rofl: Gotta use whatever’s handy to stick to the 3 second rule. :wink:

2 Likes

We started clicker training. I can tell she was flooded (they admitted it, saddle and rider up on day 1 :roll_eyes:) because she just checks out, then abruptly blows.

She’s a smart cookie and caught on super fast, and now goes up to scary things cautiously, touches it, then proudly looks at me for a treat. We’ve got noise makers, pom poms, tarps, an exercise ball, and a flag down pat. :blush: she’s learning that it’s a game - scary things come and go and that’s ok!

Also, we wear an english saddle. Stirrups down on purpose, it’s good for them to be clunking around.

27 Likes

She looks so good! Go Grundy!

We have a hunter bridle that fits well enough (Ovation) We also have a dressage girth that’s good enough, I’m mentally done with this game lol.

Grundy seemed like she was in a crummy mood and had a grass stain on her right hind and seemed uncomfortable on it, so we just tried stuff on and got to wear “real” boots for the first time (back on track). I cut her loose in the dry lot, packed my pouch full of snacks, and grabbed a squeaky toy. She was NOT a fan…but after seeing the Old Man standing by the squeaky toy and getting snacks, she miraculously got brave and decided she could touch it too.

Good enough for the day, Grundy.

13 Likes

I can’t help but notice that in several photos she is resting her near hind.

1 Like

That’s not the one she was uncomfortable on today, but I’ve noticed it as well. That stifle seems to catch occasionally, I’m hoping it’s just young horse weakness but time will tell!

6 Likes

My pony has popping stifles that have improved with correct work. Quite a few people have told me that stifle issues are common in ponies/smaller horses (like tiny dogs with luxating patella). When he’s sedated for dentals, I hear lots of popping as the tendons relax.

4 Likes

Woooooo boy is Grundy rowdy with cooler temperatures and good food. What a stinker! :rofl:

7 Likes

Grundy got lunged with the dressage saddle and tried to bronc it off at the canter :rofl:. That resulted in a bit more work for her than I had planned - girl go FORWARD that’s a NO.

She’s gunna be fun! Wish I had a round pen, but I’ll make do with what I’ve got.

6 Likes

Think we need video of cooler weather and 3 yr old pony sass!

6 Likes

Grundy had an early morning quick lunge to solidify “we dont buck with saddles on”, and then we went for a field trip to a friend’s place just to walk around and see all the things. She was really good, absolutely no issues with trailer loading (as a matter of fact, I was having to back her off me on the way home, she wanted IN that trailer haha). Got to see all SORTS of things, and took it all in stride.

11 Likes

While the Old Man gets a 1 hour soak for an abcess (he doesnt keep wraps on, else id CERTAINLY do that, yes I’ve tried bell boots lol), Grundy learns about independent curiosity - there are snacks hidden in the objects, she has to find them.

13 Likes

Well that backfired almost immediately - took her out for a trail walk and we spent the first mile convinced there were snacks in every bush, downed branch, and anything else questionable :rofl:

There was a downed tree in some super thick brush, no way around without getting scratched up bad, the only way was over. It was probably 2’ at its lowest point. Grundy gave it some thought, a little angst, more thought, then popped over it like a mule. What a GOOD GIRL!

We brought my dog Zipper along for this walk. Great way to get them used to things running up behind, and coming through the brush. Both critters were excellent, and will get tomorrow off.

24 Likes

@endlessclimb and anyone else who walks their green horses on trails, my biggest fear is them running off. How do you help ensure they won’t happen when you do in hand trail walks? I’d love to try it but am leery.

3 Likes

I use a rope halter and hope for the best :rofl:

On a super squirrely one I’ll carry a whip, too.

I enforce from day 1 in everyday handling and otherwise that walking in front of me is a big no no, and effing around on the line is a no no (including lunge lines). That keeps any spooks behind me. I walk really fast for a short person, and that keeps the focus. And the rest - just accept that it will take as long as it takes. I was prepared to turn around and go back when I saw that downed tree today - if she really didn’t want to do it I wasn’t going to push it. But I could see her wheels turning - she knew what she needed to do, she just needed a minute to get her feet organized.

I have a phobia of ground driving on the trails. I’ve had so much stuff go sideways when you’re directly behind (even in an arena!) that I don’t know that I’d ever feel safe doing it on the trails, not to mention the chance they wrap the rope around a tree and hurt themselves.

5 Likes

How do you enforce the no goofing off on the lunge? I have been meaning to ask you because I have seen you mention it several times and I need help! My TB mare sometimes just needs to get a bad out and my arena isn’t fenced in so I have let her be a bronc but I feel like I need to break the habit.

1 Like

One or two sharp pulls on the lunge line,send them forward again. Transition if they’re really intent on it, switch directions, pull them in closer, throw out some poles - whatever it takes to make it stop.

I know everyone is different but I’m a firm believer that line on = no more goofing off.

If they’re being free lunged I’ll allow a little of it, but if it gets too wild the line goes on. They can have all the fun they want, just not when a line is on. I expect them to walk nicely by me and not act a fool, even when they reeaaalllyyyy don’t want to.

I’m this way because I don’t think a horse can measure a 12’ lead line versus a 35’ lunge line, and I don’t show for weeks on end so haven’t hit the hurdle of “what to do if the horse hasn’t been turned out in a month”. I don’t think that’s good for them, period, but that’s another thread.

3 Likes

At least you know she’s super-smart and able to apply lessons learned to new situations!

Of course, super-smart ponies are waaay more trouble than smart horses! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

This I am learning, as she got multiple things chucked at her today for acting like a butthead for morning grain. :rofl:

1 Like